5' ladies what's your daily caloric intake?

Options

Replies

• verzanie
    verzanie Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    i'm 5'1 and used to have about 1200 but recently moved to about 1400/1500. I exercise every day and I usually burn between 2000/2200 a day on average. When I upped my calories I started losing weight..
  • Lillyloooo
    Lillyloooo Posts: 174 Member
    Options
  • nomorebingesgirl2014
    nomorebingesgirl2014 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    Right now I'm trying to figure out my maintenance cal.

I'm 5', 45 yrs old
    sw:~163# cw:126 gw:110 or so

I lift heavy weights (for me anyway) 3x weekly
    I have an active job, walking dogs P/T, meaning I do 3-4 30 minute dog walks per day, Mon-Fri

I'm somewhere in the neighborhood of 1800-2000 cal to maintain my current weight.
    To lose, I'm aiming for 1500-1700 cal.

I'm still experimenting but it seems I can eat at about 1400-1700 without feeling too hungry, but if I do feel hungry, can have a 2000 or so cal day per week & not get derailed.

I'm aiming for more consistency this week so I can quit playing with the same 3-4#'s :laugh:
  • marinashakeel
    marinashakeel Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    i am 5'0.. satrted at 152 lbs.. now 126lbs.. had my calorie intake set to 1200 by mfp.. didnt ate back my exercise calories so i was netting about 1000.. after three months my hair started to fall like crazy! before this got even worse i start switching up my alories.. now i eat 1400 and net 1200.
  • carlyfries75
    carlyfries75 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'1', 135. I used to limit myself to 1200-1300 calories and become malnourished and amenorrheic. After taking a nutrition course at my university I learned its extremely detrimental to your health to eat below your BMR. So I'd calculate your BMR, use that number as your minimum calorie intake and do not add additional food for calories burned during exercise. When I started eating more, I lost weight.
  • tnd1
    tnd1 Posts: 19
    Options
    im 5ft and MFP set my daily calorie intake to 1200

i was 156lb and want to get to at least 125 lb
  • puff_into_tuff
    Options
    I'm 4'11" and my BMR is 1400.
  • Srendon1111
    Srendon1111 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'1 and eat between 1350-1450 calories and on weekends I enjoy the occasional hamburger or ice cream. I always eat back my calories and NEVER EVER eaten under 1200. Please ladies that only hurts your metabolism. I know many of you are like well I feel fine, but truth is your probably hurting your body on the inside. Food is fuel. Maybe your goal is to be skinny. Mine is to be fit and healthy. I'm sorry. I may get bashed for this post, but read anywhere 1200 is too low. You can survive and thrive with more food. Even now I sometimes have to eat more than 1350 because then I lose weight. Just yes never eat below bmr and don't be afraid of food.
  • essjay76
    essjay76 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I am 4'10" and I set my goal to 2000 for maintenance. I initially lost 10 pounds 3 years ago by setting my goal to 1600 and not eating my exercise calories back.

I do have to note that I typically burn about 500-800 calories a day through running, and sometimes over 1000 on the weekends if I have a long run.

I'm currently training for my next marathon and trying to get to race weight - the lower end of my weight. (I'm 102 right now and aiming to get to around 95 lbs.) I'm playing with the numbers now because I don't want to compromise my training.
  • essjay76
    essjay76 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    In general I think 1200 is too low for most people, but for petite ladies who are verrrrrry sedentary, I can see that being enough. (Personally, not for me, no way, no how), But some people just don't need that much.
    I'm 5'1 and eat between 1350-1450 calories and on weekends I enjoy the occasional hamburger or ice cream. I always eat back my calories and NEVER EVER eaten under 1200. Please ladies that only hurts your metabolism. I know many of you are like well I feel fine, but truth is your probably hurting your body on the inside. Food is fuel. Maybe your goal is to be skinny. Mine is to be fit and healthy. I'm sorry. I may get bashed for this post, but read anywhere 1200 is too low. You can survive and thrive with more food. Even now I sometimes have to eat more than 1350 because then I lose weight. Just yes never eat below bmr and don't be afraid of food.
  • MyRummyHens
    MyRummyHens Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'1, 96-98lb, very active and need 2400 calories per day to maintain my weight, and less and it falls off.
  • Srendon1111
    Srendon1111 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Honestly unless your bedridden I still believe you shouldn't eat below 1200. But it's all a matter of opinion.

In general I think 1200 is too low for most people, but for petite ladies who are verrrrrry sedentary, I can see that being enough. (Personally, not for me, no way, no how), But some people just don't need that much.
  • ninav1980
    ninav1980 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    5'1, started out at 1200, decided to give myself an extra 200 since I workout 5-6 times a week, so 1400 calories was my limit. Lost 20 lbs and 10% body fat in 5 months. Today I am eating 1500 because I am focusing on gaining muscle and eating more protein.
  • Sora4ever
    Sora4ever Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I'm 5' 5.5" and my calorie goal is set to 1930 on days where I'm active. When I exercise, I make it my goal to burn 500 calories. On days where I'm sedentary, my calorie goal is 1400. And on days where I only burn about 260 calories, I eat around 1600 calories.

The 1930 calorie goal is a 500 calorie deficit from the TDEE. It also incorporates my exercising already so I don't eat back the exercising calories. It's been working pretty well for me. It was about 2 weeks ago when I decided to try exercising and burning 500 calories a day. I've lost 3 lbs since. Realistically, I burn 500 calories 4 times a week and the other 3 days it's a little less. But it's still working. I want to keep doing this for another month to get a more accurate result.

Honestly, 1200 calories for an adult woman is ridiculous. There are more accurate ways of calculating how much a person should be eating. I like the Eat More 2 Weigh Less group, personally.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    A friend of mine is 4'10', 66yo, and maintains on 1100 calories and she is active into yoga and brisk walking, tried surfing, etc. She lost over 100 lbs and realizes that her body is super sensitive to carbs so she keeps them low using low glycemic foods, lots of fresh veggies, very little fruit, and lean proteins. I'm afraid your age & height make a huge difference in the amount of calories you can eat and not gain.
    ETA She did not use MFP to calculate her amount of calories needed... with the help of her doctor she experimented to find her threshold for maintenance.
  • jtorrens01
    Options
    I am 5'1 and I eat between 1200 on low carb days on cardio or non training days and about 1320+ on high carb days training days. Google Macronutrition calculator and it will calculate how much your intake should be depending on your height, current weight and exercise regiment.
  • Ukstorme
    Options
    I'd love some help from the other tiny ones. I'm 5', 150 lbs and my goal is 115. I've set my daily caloric intake at 1200. Just wondering what other 5' women have found success with. What is your daily intake, do you exercise, if so do you eat the calories burned. How long has it taken you to lose? Thanks so much!

Hi

I am similar in weight and also 5'. Use a PT twice a week and have a nutritionist on hand. Unfortunately through years of massive abuse diet wise my metabolism is shot so the minute I eat anything over 1200 I gain. Am slowly upping the calorie intake, started at 600 which sustained me and I was happy to live with but now with exercise and eating healthy and balanced meals have slowly increased to 1100 per day. In time as the metabolism catches up I will increase the calories. This is working for me. I am slowly dropping pounds but more importantly changing my body shape. Gaining loads of muscles which were non-existent because of YEARS of not exercising but crash dieting.

My aim is 110 and I will get there eventually but its not a two minute process. I have to undo many years of abuse to get my body back to where it should be in terms of being a fat burning machine :-) Good luck
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    Updated:
    I'm 5' 45 yr old & I'm maintaining 126# @ 2000 cal per day :drinker:
    Hopefully re-comping, lifting 3 x week, walking about 3 miles every day. :drinker:
  • LynNann57
    LynNann57 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I am 5 feet tall, 56 years old. I have a curvy, muscular build.
    I have my fitness pal set to 1200 calories daily, but I eat around 1900 to 2000 calories a day. I burn off 400 to 600 calories with exercise each day. So I usually eat about 1400 to 1600 calories a day. If I don't exercise, I stay at about 1200-1300 calories. But I very rarely skip daily exercise. I use a treadmill every day, and heavy lift 3 times a week. I walk my dog twice a day most days, a mile and a half each time. I have been maintaining my weight for about a year now. Eventually, you will figure out how much to eat and not gain weight, or, how much exercise you need to do to keep from gaining weight! You can do it! Good luck!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!