tips for jogging?

Options
i just started jogging a couple days ago and am noticing pretty significant improvements in stamina from day to day. i began alternating with a jog for about 3 min and a brisk walk for about 5. now im up to 10 min of jogging and 5 min of walking. i expect to get better with each day, but the thing is that its a very light jog on somewhat level streets.

does anyone have any tips to further improve stamina so i can continuously jog for about an hour?

p.s. i eat very light meals for dinner around 6 and try to sleep at 9, then wake up around 4am, eat an oatmeal bar and two slices of plain whole grain bread, followed by about 2 cups of water before running at 6am for half an hour.

p.s.s. what should i list this under my diary? i put jogging 5mph for 30 min and it gives me 408 calories, which seems a bit too generous.

Replies

• sprintto50
    sprintto50 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    There are programs called C25K and C10K which give you a structured way to build up to jogging for 30 minutes, then 1 hour straight. You can find them online for free. Invest in a heart rate monitor, or use a running app on a smartphone (pretty accurate if it uses GPS). The calorie values on MFP are often very generous. Good for you for getting out there.
  • HelensReady
    Options
    There are programs called C25K and C10K which give you a structured way to build up to jogging for 30 minutes, then 1 hour straight. You can find them online for free. Invest in a heart rate monitor, or use a running app on a smartphone (pretty accurate if it uses GPS). The calorie values on MFP are often very generous. Good for you for getting out there.

thanks for that info...I'm so unfit...weigh 275lbs age 46 years (always wanted to jog) will it tell me whats the best weight to be before jogging???
  • Rockstar_JILL
    Rockstar_JILL Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    thanks for that info...I'm so unfit...weigh 275lbs age 46 years (always wanted to jog) will it tell me whats the best weight to be before jogging???
    [/quote]

I started jogging a little at a time, even at my heaviest, which was in the 250's...Just start small and increase every time. I challenged myself every time and went longer and longer and soon I was going faster and faster and now I have been able to run for over an hour and can do 10K. Just stick to it, eventually you will get there.
  • reala728
    reala728 Posts: 31
    Options
    thanks i'll definitely look into these! i use my phone to listen to music while jogging so and app seems like a no brainer, not sure why i didnt think of that before.

and @ helen, im im 230 pounds right now and not in good shape at all. i've been doing any other kind of exercise to avoid running, but i figured its the best option so i just buckled down and did it. unless you have issues with your knees or something i say just go for it, little by little. dont be ashamed if you need frequent breaks at first. im not, its a process.
  • sprintto50
    sprintto50 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    If you are extremely unfit, start by walking daily until you can walk 30 minutes at a good pace. A big key to avoiding injury is to start slow, and follow a safe running program like c25k. Stands for Couch to 5K. Repeat weeks if you not ready to move on. Anyone can do this. Just take it easy. None of us are training for the Olympics. Have fun!

Also, there are c25k apps for your phone. Some are free. The music is not the best, but it works. Go to coolrunning.com for apps and the program you can print to do on a treadmill.
  • HelensReady
    Options
    I started jogging a little at a time, even at my heaviest, which was in the 250's...Just start small and increase every time. I challenged myself every time and went longer and longer and soon I was going faster and faster and now I have been able to run for over an hour and can do 10K. Just stick to it, eventually you will get there.
    [/quote]

thanks again...my partner will not believe what I'm going to do tomorrow!!!! lol I'm going blumming jogging!!!! ;)