Depression, Death and Frustration

Options
In the last three weeks we have have two funerals and an ailing great grandmother who is on hospice. On top of that, for a week my computer has been in the shop and I haven't been able to track my counts.

I'm afraid that during this last week I might have gone over with mental calculations but the main issue is that I am depressed. I have been suffering depression all year long since my girl was born, and now we have all these deaths. I am an emotional eater. I say " screw it" and I just dive in. I did try to avoid it, but I'm not sure I was successful.

I'm tired all the time, exercise is the last thing on my mind. I know it's not an excuse, I just lack motivation. I'm just so frustrated with all this sadness.

Replies

• suzeexoxo
    suzeexoxo Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    [

I'm sorry to hear you are going through all this. Don't give up on your health and well being. Exercise will help you with your Depression! Your motivation should be your daughter, family and most of all yourself. It's not easy with everything in your life that is going on but I encourage you to Exercise for that depression you will feel better trust me :flowerforyou:

quote]
    In the last three weeks we have have two funerals and an ailing great grandmother who is on hospice. On top of that, for a week my computer has been in the shop and I haven't been able to track my counts.

I'm afraid that during this last week I might have gone over with mental calculations but the main issue is that I am depressed. I have been suffering depression all year long since my girl was born, and now we have all these deaths. I am an emotional eater. I say " screw it" and I just dive in. I did try to avoid it, but I'm not sure I was successful.

I'm tired all the time, exercise is the last thing on my mind. I know it's not an excuse, I just lack motivation. I'm just so frustrated with all this sadness.
    [/quote]
  • erinpd
    erinpd Posts: 96
    Options

I'm sorry there's been so much loss in your life lately. But don't feel bad about the lack of motivation. I think that's normal, because your thoughts are elsewhere most of the time these days, yes? Many of us are emotional eaters, myself included. I recently had to deal with the loss of my grandfather and we found out a couple of weeks ago that my grandma has Alzheimer's. Coupled with stress at work, it's been rough.

We eat because we don't want to experience these awful feelings. The grief, anger, sadness, frustration, whatever. What we don't realize is that these feelings are important. We need to experience them. Facing these feelings head-on is what will carry you to the other side, when you will get your mojo back. Acknowledge that it will take some time and deal with each emotion as it comes.

You'll be okay.
  • JuliaLee67
    JuliaLee67 Posts: 149
    Options
    What you are going through sounds a lot like what I went through: within a 3-month span in 2007 my father-in-law passed away, my mother-in-law moved in with me and my husband, then my dad passed away. It was a lot to deal with and I experienced similar things to what you're describing, being tired all the time as well as being an emotional eater, with no motivation or even desire to work out or do much of anything else.

Have you talked to your doctor? It sounds like you could have postpartum depression, since you mention being depressed after the birth of your daughter. In my experience, talking to a doctor was very helpful; not only did she explain depression to me (for instance, I had no idea that depression could cause physical pain, and I thought my lack of motivation and energy was just me being lazy), but it was really nice just to have someone who would listen to me talk about my problems. Family is good, but if they are going through the same things you are, they aren't always there for listening to you when they've got their own stuff to deal with, you know? I hope that makes sense.

Don't beat yourself up about not being able to track things, it's only temporary. You'll get your computer back and you'll be tracking again. And don't beat yourself up about the emotional eating, either, or falling off the diet wagon...sometimes it happens, and when it does, get back up, dust yourself off, and start again. Personally, since I'm also an emotional eater, I found it helpful not to have things I would usually binge on, like chips, cookies, or candy, in the house at all. On my doctor's advice, I replaced those things with plain popcorn, grapes, and bags of those cut-up raw veggies and peanut butter. So when I did have a slip up, it wasn't too bad, and then I could feel better about treating myself to a piece of cake.

I hope you feel better soon, and remember to just do the best you can and hang in there.

*hugs, if you want them* :)
  • ALittleBitLess1
    ALittleBitLess1 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Wow, you have been having it rough!
    Too much for any one person to deal with by themselves. I would recomed talking to someone, maybe your G.P or health visitor. Depression is not a sign of weakess, but that you have been carrying too much on your own for too long!

I have experienced bouts of depression, each time is a bit different, but always creeps up before i realise how bad its got, and only really see how different I have been once I am 'better'. Some times talking/working through issues has been enough over time, others medication has been needed to lift me enough to deal with them too.
    Talk it over and figure out what is right for you at this time.
    In the mean-time keep doing what you are doing, loggin on here when you can - good to touch base once in a while when you don't have time or energy for more commitment.

Good luck x x
  • ZellyKat
    ZellyKat Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for all your comments and advice. It really helps. I'm going to try to keep myself up, and do as much to keep my mind occupied away from the sadness.