Cucumbers?

Options
Do anyone have some cool ideas with cucumbers my neighbor gave me a bag full from someones garden and I don't want to waste them but I need to be creative about this because just going into salads and in vinegar is not going to get the job done!!! Help plz........

Replies

• tavander
    tavander Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Dang, I'd say throw some my way! I love cucumbers.
  • tavander
    tavander Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Also meant to add, I put them in sandwiches, pitas. Cut them up as a side veggie with dinner. Mix in some tomatoes and a balsamic. Yummmmmy.
  • Tina59
    Tina59 Posts: 1
    Options
    I have a really good way to eat cucumbers. Believe me they won't last long once you make them !!!
    Combine equal parts of Water...Vinegar (apple cidar, NOT white vinegar)... and Splenda (or what ever sugar or sweetner you use) pour over sliced cucumbers until covered. In frig, let them soak for about an hour, the longer they merinade the better they taste. You can also add oinons, green, yellow or red mango peppers. They are heavenly!!! They are great for parties. You can also use a vegtable peeler to stripe your cucumbers ....just peel the skin every 1/2 in or so just to "stripe" the skin then slice the cucumbers and place them in the vinegar sloution. Very pretty and appealing to the eye and better yet GOOD for you !!!!!
  • LoriT129
    LoriT129 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I use this website for veggie recipes and according to the site there are 882 cucumber recipes!! Who knew there were so many??

http://www.justvegetablerecipes.com/inxcuc.html
  • RNP247
    RNP247 Posts: 15
    Options
    Cucumber water... cut up some slices and throw into a pitcher of water.
    Also Cucumber sandwiches. I use rye bread, cream cheese and cucumber slices.
    One of my favorites is cucumber salsa (1 chopped cucumber, 3 tablespoons fresh dill chopped, 2 tablespoons sour cream, 1/4 small red onion chopped, 1/4 cup chopped parsley, 1 teaspoon lemon zest, juice of 1/2 lemon) this is GREAT with salmon.
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    I have a really good way to eat cucumbers. Believe me they won't last long once you make them !!!
    Combine equal parts of Water...Vinegar (apple cidar, NOT white vinegar)... and Splenda (or what ever sugar or sweetner you use) pour over sliced cucumbers until covered. In frig, let them soak for about an hour, the longer they merinade the better they taste. You can also add oinons, green, yellow or red mango peppers. They are heavenly!!! They are great for parties. You can also use a vegtable peeler to stripe your cucumbers ....just peel the skin every 1/2 in or so just to "stripe" the skin then slice the cucumbers and place them in the vinegar sloution. Very pretty and appealing to the eye and better yet GOOD for you !!!!!

mmmm this sounds great!! I have some apple cider vinegar I had no idea what to do with.....I am so trying this tommorrow!!
  • Ms172u
    Ms172u Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    you could buy some tomatoes, limes and cilantro and make yourself some homemade salsa too.. or in your water like someone else was saying in their post.. I hope this helps..

Good Luck
  • NewImprovedCnbethea1
    Options
    Thanks everyone those are some great ideas!!! Who knew there would be so many now I am happy they wont go to waste!!
  • Samantharose8akaDebbie
    Samantharose8akaDebbie Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    CUCUMBER SOUR CREAM SALAD

4 med. cucumbers
    1 1/2 c. Light dairy sour cream
    1 sm. clove garlic, minced
    2 tbsp. salad oil
    2 tsp. sugar
    1 tsp. salt
    1 tsp. white wine vinegar
    1/2 tsp. dill weed

Pare cucumbers and slice thinly into large bowl. Stir together remaining ingredients except dill weed; pour over cucumbers and toss lightly. Sprinkle with dill weed. Cover and chill. Just before serving, toss carefully. 8-10 servings.
  • AwMyLoLo
    AwMyLoLo Posts: 1,571 Member
    Options
    bump - I'll have TONS out of my garden soon!
  • NewImprovedCnbethea1
    Options
    CUCUMBER SOUR CREAM SALAD

4 med. cucumbers
    1 1/2 c. Light dairy sour cream
    1 sm. clove garlic, minced
    2 tbsp. salad oil
    2 tsp. sugar
    1 tsp. salt
    1 tsp. white wine vinegar
    1/2 tsp. dill weed

Pare cucumbers and slice thinly into large bowl. Stir together remaining ingredients except dill weed; pour over cucumbers and toss lightly. Sprinkle with dill weed. Cover and chill. Just before serving, toss carefully. 8-10 servings.

Ooh I have all these ingredients now only thing I will use my greek yogurt as the sour cream yum!!!! Thank you....
  • sweetn3ss
    sweetn3ss Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Cucumber Martini YUMMY
  • rcatr
    rcatr Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Have a small party with friends who have gardens (or received an abundance of one veggie like you) and switch out for other summer veggies.
  • nachoqtpie
    nachoqtpie Posts: 81
    Options
    My favorite is the vinegar recipe. Except I always use onions and black pepper and soak it over night. Mmmmmmm

I also put them on salads, just eat them, feed them to my dogs (Yes... even my dogs eat healthy... LOL), all kinds of stuff!
  • robinlea1
    robinlea1 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I always keep cukes in my fridge. I cut them into spears and sprinkle them lightly with Mrs. Dash original seasoning. Great in salads and plain as a quick snack! I also slice them on sandwiches. I've cut way back on my ranch dressing use since I've been doing this. :happy:
  • LisaKC
    LisaKC Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Tell me how to make the cucumber martini!!!
  • sweetn3ss
    sweetn3ss Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I dont know how Lisa im sorry. My friend used to be a bartender and he makes it for me.
  • Mirlyn
    Mirlyn Posts: 256
    Options

I do the same thing with my cucumbers but I use rice vinegar and a little honey instead of splenda. LOVE asian cucumber salad :).
  • noneya2010
    noneya2010 Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    If you like spicy food, I make a very good cucumber asian type soup.

You peel and cut the cucs lengthwise into strips. In a bowl, you add some apple cidar vinegar, soy sauce, a little bit of jalepeno or serrano pepper, cut up in very small pieces, and that red chili paste sauce (comes in a jar and is kind of reddish-orange-ish). Toss in a little bit of chili powder. Add in a little bit of cut up tomato and let marinade in the fridge a little bit. Eat cold. Very good with sticky rice. You just have to experiment with the chili paste/pepper because it can get wickedly spicy hot but it is oh so good if you like spicy!