For all you "used to hate fish" people....

Options
I am stationed in Japan so accessing fresh fish is not a problem. My question is how did ya'll start liking fish? I can eat sushi rolls with grilled salmon but thats about it. I have tried all sorts of seafood and I can't seem to develope a taste for it. I wish I could though because I know it's alot better than my red meat that I love. Just some advice on how you all that used to think fish and seafood was gross got to start eating it and not being completly repulsed.. Thank you in advance :)

Replies

• antiadipose
    antiadipose Posts: 447
    Options
    this is a really good question cuz for the longest time i could only eat shrimp.. sushi .. and tuna salad subs (drowned in mayo)
    now i eat fish like 5 times a week!

i buy cod fillets, tilapia, salmon, grouper, tuna steaks, and been experiencing with a couple more kinds but those r my faves.

i found that i add enough things to take that fishiness away. like i make sure i add my fish staples (lemon juice, cumin powder, minced garlic/garlic powder) and then i do other things depending on my mood.
    u should try buying the cajun spices.... i even have this blackened cajun spices... YUM!
    or ill add my fish staples .. some red chili powder, and some herb (thyme/basil/parsley/oregano)

if i dont actually cook my own fish ... i find that i can still taste some fishiness.. and its gross to me! (with some exceptions of some grilled fish entrees ive ordered)

but my point is, make sure u spice it up well.. and itll be delish!!
    btw.. i always grill/broil my fish.
    good luck!
  • danielle4992
    danielle4992 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    this is a really good question cuz for the longest time i could only eat shrimp.. sushi .. and tuna salad subs (drowned in mayo)
    now i eat fish like 5 times a week!

i buy cod fillets, tilapia, salmon, grouper, tuna steaks, and been experiencing with a couple more kinds but those r my faves.

i found that i add enough things to take that fishiness away. like i make sure i add my fish staples (lemon juice, cumin powder, minced garlic/garlic powder) and then i do other things depending on my mood.
    u should try buying the cajun spices.... i even have this blackened cajun spices... YUM!
    or ill add my fish staples .. some red chili powder, and some herb (thyme/basil/parsley/oregano)

if i dont actually cook my own fish ... i find that i can still taste some fishiness.. and its gross to me! (with some exceptions of some grilled fish entrees ive ordered)

but my point is, make sure u spice it up well.. and itll be delish!!
    btw.. i always grill/broil my fish.
    good luck!

Thank you for the awesome ideas! They all sound delish, I will have to try them . This will make things easier for me , because my husband loves fish, I just can't stomach the taste. Your advice sounds like it could really help!
  • kristinlough
    kristinlough Posts: 828 Member
    Options
    I agree with antiadipose's cooking ideas, definitely (they sound great!)

But have you ever thought about going into the meal *knowing* how much you *love* fish instead of thinking about the fishy taste? I stayed in a hotel once when I was hungover. Every time I tried to go back, it smelled like strong chemicals and ... byproducts of being hungover ... because in my head I was still hung over :smile:

Sometimes when you cook it well and push through, you'll change your own mind.

And also, if you like salmon in sushi, have you tried cooking it on cedar planks? I don't love salmon, so I go for other fish instead, but I hear salmon on cedar planks is to DIE for good.

Good luck!!:drinker:
  • Mirlyn
    Mirlyn Posts: 256
    Options
    I hate fishy fish but cooked the right way and dressed the right way I really love milder white fish. Our cooked fish staples are tilapia, catfish, and grouper. I like cod when we do baked and breaded. And we eat raw tuna (sashimi style) a lot. Have you tried alot of milder fish? Make sure you keep some seafood seasoning on hand too like Old Bay or another blackening spice and fresh lemon. Lemon is a big deal because it removes that fishiness.

Also, don't buy previously frozen fish unless you are making sushi/sashimi. The fresher the fish the less fishy it tends to be when cooked. I can tell when my husband buys previously frozen fish by mistake because no matter how I dress it it's still fishy.
  • Clew
    Clew Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    I have always loved fish, from the time I was a kid - so I don't know how helpful I'll be ... but I told my friend (who dislikes fish but is trying to learn to tolerate it) to start off with mild fish - tilapia and orange roughy are good ones. She doesn't mind tilapia. I also really enjoy mahi mahi ... I dont think it's strong, but maybe others can chime in on that. To me, salmon has a pretty strong flavor (I love it, but I would imagine its strength could be a turn-off for someone who isn't a fish fan).

I'd say just experiment with small portions of different kinds to see what fits best for you. Experimenting with seasoning, as antiadipose suggested, is also key ... I love dill on fish, or teriyaki - my husband loves pepper and garlic.

Your ample access to fresh fish is a great opportunity to find where your preferences lie! Good for you for trying to enjoy it! :happy:
  • princessorchid
    princessorchid Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend hates fish, and before we started going out he'd only ever eat it if prepared by hs gran! Now he'll eat langoustines, prawns and monkfish - monkfish is a fairly meaty fish, but it doesnt really taste fishy, and has the bonus of having no bones. I usually use it in curries or anywhere I'd usually use chicken breast - stews etc. Just don't cook for as long as you would a chicken stew!
  • Mirlyn
    Mirlyn Posts: 256
    Options
    I also really enjoy mahi mahi ... I dont think it's strong, but maybe others can chime in on that. To me, salmon has a pretty strong flavor (I love it, but I would imagine its strength could be a turn-off for someone who isn't a fish fan).

I agree with you about the salmon. Mahi-mahi is mild but it has a weird metallic taste to me that I can't get over every time my husband orders it at a restaurant and tells me I *MUST* try some. Blech.
  • kylielouttit
    kylielouttit Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    I have this same problem, I can not like fish! I've tried sampling what is on my hubby's plate at restaurants but all I can think is "ew, fish".

Now, because of the BP oil spill I wont be eating anything coming out of the ocean. Not that I was to begin with...
  • noneya2010
    noneya2010 Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    If you have access to a grill, try squeezing some lemon over a salmon filet and then put a lot of pepper on it. Grill it and then toss on a caesar salad. Salmon is very good and doesn't have too much of a fish taste. I like my salmon cooked medium. Overcooking them makes them very flaky and if you cook at medium (inside will still be very tender-looking) they just melt in your mouth they are so good.

You must be in the military?? My daughter was dying to get stationed in Japan (she's Navy) and got sent to Groton, CT instead!
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    bump
  • windybaer
    windybaer Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    You must be landlocked. "Fresh fish doesn't taste fishy". I'm talking about streamside cooking here. The entrails are removed and the whole fish goes into the pan, head and all for about 2 1/2 minute or less, for native brook trout . You don't need any spices at all and you would die for the next bite. I'm not lying. Saltwater fish the same thing, except for being larger the fish is filleted. Maybe a half teaspoon of butter with your 6" flounder fillet and in 2 minutes you are dining with the gods. The whole concept goes out the window with supermarket fish. Unless the fish has just been received the same day and packed with sufficient ice within 24 hours, you'll never experience the joys of fine fish dining.
  • windybaer
    Options
    Sorry my remarks were directed to "antidipose".
  • wonnder1
    wonnder1 Posts: 460
    Options
    It really depends on the fish. And I don't know if you can get a lot of mild fish in Japan. I think you're going to have to try them all!

Orange Roughy, is probably the best starter fish out there because of its mildness.

If you like salmon, you'll probably also like catfish (again-don't know if its in Japan) because of its "meatiness"

Ask for it a bit overcooked, as that can get some of the fishy moisture out.
  • windybaer
    Options
    There are lots of problems getting fish to the market so it is still gourmet edible. And fishermen have to work very hard for that to happen. Sometimes it is better to buy frozen tuna than fresh caught, that died in the process of being dragged behind a boat for 20 minutes before being brought on board and dumped into the storage well, then cleaned after the fishing trip ends, which could be hours later. Orange roughy from New Zealand is frozen "on the boat" and stays frozen until some markets, not all, put it in the case and sell it as "fresh". This works for other fish too. I assume we are talking about preparing our own meals here. When fish smells "fishy", you don't have to eat it. Throw it out. Or send it back to the kitchen if you bought it in a restaurant. You'd be doing us all a favor by refusing to accept such trash.
  • wewon
    wewon Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    The only fish that I ever enjoyed was when it's beer battered and deep fried.

Not exactly the healthest representation of fish.