Had gastric bypass, now at stand still

Options
I had gastric bypass 10 months ago and lost 64 lbs. I go to the gym 5 days a week, walk every weekend and go to water aerobics Tuesday's and Thursday's. I just started with this program. So any ideas on how to jump start my weight lose again.:sad:

Replies

• ruby_brewer
    ruby_brewer Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I am in the same boat right now--I am 8 months post op and have lost 90lbs...but I have been stuck at the same weight for over three weeks now---it is SO frustrating and everyone seems to have ideas and opinions on how to jump start the loss again; however, nothing seems to be working. Also, I am finding that I am much more hungry that I feel I should be and this is making it difficult to continuously make healthy and portioned choices. It sucks :(

Ruby
  • twinketta
    twinketta Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    Do you not get offered a dietitian to help with the post op surgery?
  • YankeeDel
    Options
    I had it done about 10 years ago and lost 105 lbs. I started out strong but after approximately 8 months it stopped then picked up again very slowly. The total amount of weight loss is usually within 18 months so don't worry..you will lose more. But in answer to your question as the doc suggested to me once is to go back and go on your stage 1 or 2 diet for about a week of more if you can. Hope this was helpful.
  • YankeeDel
    Options
    I posted in response to Marybeth...in addition to that keep in mind to drink at least 64 oz of liquid...this will keep you from being hungry as much. Another thing to remember is not to drink anything while eating...wait the 20-30 minutes so the food can process easier.
  • Ed98043
    Ed98043 Posts: 1,333 Member
    Options
    I had gastric bypass 10 months ago and lost 64 lbs. I go to the gym 5 days a week, walk every weekend and go to water aerobics Tuesday's and Thursday's. I just started with this program. So any ideas on how to jump start my weight lose again.:sad:

You don't mention what you're eating. Are you logging everything and counting calories? Weight loss is mostly about diet. Figure out your Total Daily Energy Expenditure (TDEE) and eat 15-20% less than that.
  • awake4777
    awake4777 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Me three. Had surgery in July, 2012. Stuck losing and gaining same 3 lbs for 2 months now. I continue to lose inches so I am okay, but was pretty depressing at first. I work out formally 3 days a week for 1.5 hours. Used to do 2 hrs but trying everything to jump start weight loss again.

I normally eat 1400-1500 calories per day plus 1000 calories of exercise but have cut back on exercise and food on some days. Most days I try to keep calories calories below 1300 per day.

Thanks for the info.
  • TS65
    TS65 Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    I had mine in 95. A few years back i found www.livingafterwls.com - it's a place where the rules are outlined - and there's tons of people just like you and me who have been there. :flowerforyou: There a plan to follow to get on track. People here will guess, but there's not a lot of WLS-ers here. Those that ARE here are here because they're new or they've failed. (and yes, I count myself in the last part - there's ways to eat around WLS and I found it! I'm getting back on track.)

In a nutshell:

1. Eat protein first. Then, If you have room eat your veggies. (Another way to do that - eat 2 bites protein to 1 bite veggie)
    2. Don't drink with your meals.
    3. Exercise.
    4. No snacking between meals.

#1 is vitally important. We don't have room for all the filler's (rice, potatoes, etc.) You need nutritionally dense foods, otherwise you'll experience vitamin deficiencies. Trust me on this - I didn't think it would happen to me. It did.

Head over to that other website. It's a godsend for WLS patients - there's tons of recipes too. And no, I'm not saying leave MFP. You can love 2 at one time! :drinker:
  • summersbest
    summersbest Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Had RNY 6 1/2 months ago and have lost 86lbs. I stalled in Feb. for almost a month which is quite normal with surgery. Got some advice about lowering my carb intake and it did the trick. I cut out bread, rice, potatoes, pasta at most of my meals and the weight has started coming off again.

Hope this helps and good luck.
  • bonniebrake
    Options
    I am 2 years post op, have been at same weight for over a year. I lost 87 pounds but am thinking about another 30-50. I signed up here to make a change, start keeping track of calories and for support.
  • pennydreadful270
    pennydreadful270 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I don't know much about it, but it's great that you have already lost so much!! Maybe it's just that you need to think more like a long-term dieter rather than just post-op? I imagine at the start that the smaller stomach makes a lot of decisions for you.

I saw a programme following people who'd had bands put in and one girl's mum started putting KFC in the food processor for her. So terribly sad.
  • Jolene8992
    Jolene8992 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I have not had gastric bypass surgery. Doing it exercising and counting calories which I am religious to both. I get stuck too. I just keep on crank up the cardio. Change up your routine. I was in a plateau that lasted over a month. I just never give in or up.
  • annwyatt69
    annwyatt69 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Well maybe both of you need to start eating more.

There are 3 phases under calories

1. Moderate Deficit (weight loss)
    2. SEMI Starvation(big deficit/plateau)
    3. Full Starvation(extremely low calories/weight loss)

The surgery put you in full starvation. Due to your weight loss, you might now be in the semi starvation phase. Also keep in mind you should try something for at least a month to determine if it works or not.

EATING MORE IS NOT ALWAYS AN OPTION FOR THOSE OF US WHO HAVE HAD GASTRIC BYPASS SURGERY!!!!!!!!! We are lucky to get in anywhere from 700-1000 a day, often even years later. For those of you have had the surgery, there are excellent groups on MFP to help you deal with these situations. I also recommend being in close contact with your surgeon and dietititan. Good luck with your new lifestyle. It was the best decision I ever made for my health. I am alive today because of it.
  • mhorn2142
    mhorn2142 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I am 11 months post op and know the feeling of being stuck. I don't know how many calories a day you eat, but I was only eating around 700-900 calories a day even at 8-10 mos. post op. Eat more!! Up your calories. I did and it has worked. It sounds scary and it is hard to do. But nuts and avocado will help. Put some avocado on your baked chicken or top your asparagus with almond slivers or my favorite put pecans or almonds in your yogurt. I now shoot for 1100 but am happy with 1000 plus calories a day.

I have found that because I am more active, I have to eat more.

Feel free to friend me!
  • AdymondNtheRuff
    AdymondNtheRuff Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I had gastric 2009 and the same thing happens to all of us. I lost a total of 92lbs, I found out my metabolism is 3xs slower than the average person my height and weight and that has to do with genetics( this test was done by my weight loss doctor), so unless I really starve self I never can get to my goal of 150. But don't get discouraged you will still loose more some times you have to just trick your body you plateauing from the same routines which means your body is use to you putting in this same work. Rest an extra day, drink lots of water and go back hard it will jump start your metabolism. I have gained 12 lbs back and I refuse to gain more than that so I am constantly looking for ways to loose more and keep it off. I hope this helps but please take advantage of your 15months honey moon period because after that for me it was not turning back. I couldn't really loose anymore... I have been really focusing on maintaining.
  • Kdame1
    Kdame1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I had gastric bypass in 2005. I have lost a total of 150lbs in that time. I was stuck for about 3 years. I finally went drastic and cut out wheat. I'm not sure if the wheat thing was a side effect of the surgery or if it was always an issue and we didn't know. Once I cut out the wheat I lost about 20 lbs. After about a year of no wheat I finally decided to join the gym and splurge and get myself a trainer so that I could learn how to do things right. I went initially 3 days a week for 1 hour and then found it wasn't enough. I started going to classes in addition to the 3 times a week and found results within 2 weeks. I now go to the gym 6x per week, 3 x a week is for 2 hours and the other 3 days are for at least 1 hour. I am still losing weight currently after almost 8 years. I am losing roughly 1 lb per week and I eat very little processed food. I eat mostly clean but sometimes I cheat a little. I use myfitnesspal to track my calories and my excercise. Hope this helps !
  • grim_traveller
    grim_traveller Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    Well maybe both of you need to start eating more.

There are 3 phases under calories

1. Moderate Deficit (weight loss)
    2. SEMI Starvation(big deficit/plateau)
    3. Full Starvation(extremely low calories/weight loss)

The surgery put you in full starvation. Due to your weight loss, you might now be in the semi starvation phase. Also keep in mind you should try something for at least a month to determine if it works or not.

Balderdash.

If you are eating at a deficit, you will lose weight. If you burn more calories, you will have a larger deficit. If you eat less, you will have a larger deficit. If you eat a very small amount, your metabolism may slow, as much as 15 to 20 percent, but it will never match the deficit. Never.

You can't go by daily or weekly weights. If you haven't lost weight at the end of a month, you aren't in a deficit. You need to eat less or move more. If you think you are at a deficit but aren't losing, you are wrong. If you don't weigh, measure and log everything, you are just guessing.