Strength Training what works for u ????

Options
Hi
I am going to add some strength training what do u do and why ???

What would you recommend ???

I do 4/5 excercise classes a week incuding body blitz,circuits and zumba, but wat to add in strengh training.
Iv reached my target weight and want to now tone al my flabby bits.

Replies

• time4changexx
    time4changexx Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I do body by you. Its the female version of you are your own gym (their books). Its strength training basically using your own body weight. I picked it because I cant really afford the gym or have time to get their, also live in an apartment so i dont have space for very much equipment. Its about 3 months although can be longer depending on your current fitness level. Unfortunately their are no results out for the program yet as the book recently came out, altho their are plenty of people who have done the male version. So far I really like it. I like the structure & convenience & its alot tougher than i expected.
  • assblaster69
    assblaster69 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    If your goal is to become stronger, do SS (Starting strenght). Basic compound movements.
  • LassoOfTruth
    LassoOfTruth Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    Biggest Loser Power Sculpt w/ 5-12 pound weights.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    I do sandbag training and suspension training. Works AMAZING.
  • TinaLRoman
    TinaLRoman Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I do Venus Index workouts 4 days a week.
  • taiyola
    taiyola Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I started with press-ups and squats, then got a kettebell, and now I've joined the gym.

It sounds like you already have a gym membership, so I would start using the weight machines at the gym. Even if you can only start at 5-10kg, you will quickly build up. There are also usually classes like Boxfit etc which involve free weights etc.

I'm up 2.5-15kg on each machine in the 3 weeks since I started.

Make sure you log down your measurements before starting as well - you will be amazed!
  • shelley234
    shelley234 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Is using weights essential ?. Iv just found Jillian Michaels abb strenthning work out but it small weights she uses.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Get a "real" program. I recommend New Rules of Weight Lifting for Women, Stronglifts 5x5, or Starting Strength.
  • shelley234
    Options

Ill have a look at this thanks x
  • shelley234
    Options
    Thank you everyone ill have a look in to all r suggestions, Im a it OCD and like to research everything lol.
  • shelley234
    Options
    Get a "real" program. I recommend New Rules of Weight Lifting for Women, Stronglifts 5x5, or Starting Strength.

Thanks ill look in to this, Do you need to go to a gym for these ?
    Im looking to do it in my house, I dont want to start a gym as already pay for fitness classes.
  • zillah73
    zillah73 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I had a trainer when I first started in 2010 set me up with a strength training circuit using mostly machines and a few free weights. Routine included core, upper body and lower body – 2 sets each at a weight I where I could lift at least 12 reps but experienced muscle failure before 15 reps. I did that three times per week after a 5 minute cardio warmup and followed by plus 30/40 minutes cardio. I had a lot of success with that before my life sort of went off the rails. Now that I am back on track I have resumed that routine but I have given myself a goal/reward that when I reach my previous weight loss total (I have about 16 lbs to go) I am going to hire a trainer with more focus on free weights/heavier lifting/etc. for the final stretch of my journey and maintenance.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,122 Member
    Options
    I would recommend the You Are Your Own Gym book or get the app if you have a phone that can run it. Right now I am using the Home Workout Revolution which is a quite comprehensive program but it is not pure strength training as it includes conditioning workouts as well.
  • shelley234
    Options
    I would recommend the You Are Your Own Gym book or get the app if you have a phone that can run it. Right now I am using the Home Workout Revolution which is a quite comprehensive program but it is not pure strength training as it includes conditioning workouts as well.

Thanks I have just downloaded fitness buddy and you are your own gym to my phone they look fab andso easy to work.
  • shelley234
    Options
    I had a trainer when I first started in 2010 set me up with a strength training circuit using mostly machines and a few free weights. Routine included core, upper body and lower body – 2 sets each at a weight I where I could lift at least 12 reps but experienced muscle failure before 15 reps. I did that three times per week after a 5 minute cardio warmup and followed by plus 30/40 minutes cardio. I had a lot of success with that before my life sort of went off the rails. Now that I am back on track I have resumed that routine but I have given myself a goal/reward that when I reach my previous weight loss total (I have about 16 lbs to go) I am going to hire a trainer with more focus on free weights/heavier lifting/etc. for the final stretch of my journey and maintenance.

Wow your weight loss is amazing well done you have done great already, I would love to hire a trainer but they are so expensive.
  • mgoetsch1982
    mgoetsch1982 Posts: 392 Member
    Options

I do Venus Index as well between 4 days a week as well. I really love the program and it is very effective!
  • shelley234
    Options

I do Venus Index as well between 4 days a week as well. I really love the program and it is very effective!

Is it some thing on dvd can i do it at home ???
  • Txnurse97
    Txnurse97 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Bump to read later!
  • kopmom
    kopmom Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    If you belong to a gym then Stronglifts 5x5