does eating lots of fruit hinder weight loss

Options
I eat fruit most of the day and wondered if its good for you as I don't seem to lose weight.

I usually start the day with fruit and yogurt at work and just wondered what else I could take with me instead of fruit - any ideas would be appreciated

Replies

• lvtruu1
    lvtruu1 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    A caloric deficit creates weight loss.

Fruits are neither good nor bad.

Fruits are neither good nor bad for weight loss.

A caloric deficit creates weight loss.

Eat the fruit. Don't eat to much fruit to go over your deficit.
  • freindsofmine
    freindsofmine Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I have seen more success eating a lower carb intake .fruit is good but the carbs add up.but if your eating mainly at breakfast it shouldn't be problem .I would get in protein combination with carb . protein veggies. more then just fruit
  • lvtruu1
    lvtruu1 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I have seen more success eating a lower carb intake .fruit is good but the carbs add up.but if your eating mainly at breakfast it shouldn't be problem .I would get in protein combination with carb . protein veggies. more then just fruit

Carbs are calories the same as proteins and fats. Long term studies have Proven that low carb dieting isn't any better. Initial weight loss is greater but it evens out. Planning on low carbing the rest of your life? As soon as you go back to the carbs your weight will go up.
  • twinketta
    twinketta Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    Hi Rachel, I find that protein helps me fill up more...maybe hard boil a couple of eggs the night before work and munch on them for breakfast?
  • TheDevastator
    TheDevastator Posts: 1,626 Member
    Options
    I've lost weight while eating a lot of fruit. I eat 10 apples a day approximately.
  • Yica83
    Yica83 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Fruits can have lot of sugar and carbs, however like said before, your weight loss depends on your calories deficit...
    I find that fruits help me control my sweet tooth, specially mango and pineapple
  • RumpusP
    RumpusP Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    As said: Nope. Nothing magical about fruit or carbs that'll impede your weightloss.
  • nehushtan
    nehushtan Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Like the others said, it's total calories that matter. The quality of fruit (at least some of it) that makes it appealing for a lot of dieters is what's called "low calorie density": there's less calories per cubic inch in an apple versus ice cream for example.

I find that an apple or a couple of handfuls of grapes help me feel full. Makes for a great snack vs. a piece of candy. Some fruits don't have the same payoff for me... YMMV
  • Mummyadams
    Mummyadams Posts: 1,125 Member
    Options
    I wondered this as well and now limit myself to max 3 pieces a day and incorporate more yoghurt, nuts, hard boiled eggs etc into my daily intake.
  • vlmay1955
    vlmay1955 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Fruit is generally very good for you with lots of vitamins and other beneficial nutrients, but as several others have pointed out, your calorie balance is going to determine if you gain or lose weight no matter what you eat. Also you need to keep an eye on your protein. I eat mostly fruit, vegetables, whole grains and dairy and very little meat and I found out at my last physical that I was not getting enough protein. (Important to me because I strength train a lot). If you enter everything you eat into MFP every day, you can start to analyze where you might be falling short on a balanced diet. A blanced diet is essential and once you have that you can start cutting calories (or increasing exercise!) if you want to lose weight.
  • corneredbycorn
    corneredbycorn Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Calories in, calories out.

I love fruit. I have it with nearly every meal and often as snacks. I buy strawberries, bananas, oranges, and grapes every week. It's relatively low calorie (especially by volume) and it tastes good. They are packed with nutrients too. Since I follow IPOARM, I have plenty of calories available for it.