Trying to understand WHY...

Options
I am trying to understand why I do the things I do. Maybe if I understood I could change the way I think. I know it is possible to change your habits. I know I can keep from making bad decisions. I do well keeping within my calorie goals now that I am using MFP. I am still working on eating healthier, but it will take a while to break my convenience food habit. Is it possible to change the way you think about food? To retrain your mind? Or is it always going to be this huge internal battle of thoughts?

Last night on my way home from work I ordered a pizza from the convenience store down the road from my house. I used to do this weekly (if not more often). I LOVE and crave pizza! This is the first time i have let myself order a pizza for just me in quite a long time. I spent a while mentally debating ordering it before I even picked up the phone. Yes, I have enough calories left today to 'afford' to eat the pizza. No, I don't really have much else to eat in the house. No, I really don't want to spend the extra hour and a half driving to the grocery store after a long day at work. Obviously I ended up ordering the pizza. It didn't even taste that great. After eating about half of it I wasn't hungry any more. I even put it down and told myself to stop before I made myself sick. A little while later I realized I ate the whole thing and my stomach was really complaining. It made me wonder why the heck I did that? I made my stomach hurt by eating too much of something that didn't even taste that good. I ate it all because it was there in front of me, I had planned to eat it and had justified eating all of it. Actually eating the pizza was so much less fun than the thought of eating the pizza. You would think that the discomfort I caused myself would keep me from doing it again. Not so, I have done it many times. There are certain 'trigger foods' that I just can't seem to hep but overeat: pizza, girl scout cookies, tortilla chips and salsa, pasta, chinese food. Should I just keep exposure to these foods to a minimum to resist temptation or is there a way to train myself to stop before it hurts? I am really struggling with this and I can't be the only one out there...can I?

Replies

• quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    Do both. Keep the food to minimum WHILE you train yourself to recognize when you are full. It is possible to train your mind and body. I say this, of course, after crowing yesterday at not eating a whole box of cereal like I used to, but ate half the box in one sitting last night.

I threw out the cereal. Sometimes it takes time.
  • SheilaG1963
    SheilaG1963 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Nope, your not. I do the same thing. Maybe it's the fear of succeeding, the fear of being something I'm not used to being. I don't know. I binge eat usually on the weekends and kick my butt mentally all the time. Usually not with pizza, but with chips or something worse.
  • Yica83
    Yica83 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I know that feeling...it takes time; i thought i had the will to restrain myself from eating certain food but the reality was that whenever available i would eat them... Keeps strong... it gets better :D
  • cuterbee
    cuterbee Posts: 545
    Options
    We didn't learn our habits overnight, and in fact some of us learned them in childhood. It just takes time and being thoughtful. Just like you can't lose the weight overnight, you can't lose the attitudes overnight either, because they're an automatic process. That's why it's harder to stop them; we do them without thinking. Now we have to think about it until we can set the new healthy habits and process...and be able to make those choices without thinking.
  • ladyark
    ladyark Posts: 1,101 Member
    Options
    I have trouble with this same thing. My worst offender is chocolate and snack foods. It seems as though as i get closer to my goal weight i am doing it more often. Or when i get a bunch of compliments its like ok im doing good....go treat yourself to some junk. I mentally punish myself for hours afterward too. Like you said....it doesent even taste that good and it usually makes my stomach hurt.

I think because i was so restrictive for the first 6 months ( im in month 10 now and 70 lbs down) maybe. I just know i need to find it in me somewhere to get off this kick ....
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    A craving is usually satisfied within the first couple of bites. Give it a shot and see. My big thing was thinking that I bought this, therefore I should eat it all or I'm wasting my money. Budgeting your calories is a lot like budgeting a bank account. You don't want to blow all of your money on one thing, because there is always something else you will want, and going into debt equals gaining weight. Get a "part time job" with some extra exercise so you can eat without the guilt. Find alternatives that allow you to save a little here for something else later.
  • KatieHall77
    KatieHall77 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    What you describe is pretty common. After stress and fatigue of work, maybe we seek comfort and joy, so one of the easiest least expensive things to do is grab food we consider a treat.
    But now you know, a change needs to happen. Try eliminating the trigger foods for a while and see if you can gain a better understanding of what's going on.

Like most of us, you know your body better than anyone. Find ways to feel joy, but not in junk food. I used to get donuts every Sunday, instead, I give myself a manicure every Sunday.

Later, you can do two things. First, learn to make healthier versions of the food you love (for me, that's sugarless flax brownies instead of donuts) and most Importantly learn to have just one serving. Make a homemade thin crust on a low carb/low cal wrap, and use skim mozzarella, lots of oregano, and turkey pepperoni. Rarely, treat yourself to the pizza you love most. Don't order a whole pizza though. If the store does by the slice, get one slice. If not, take it home, immediately place in bags and freeze all but one slice, then have a big salad on the side.

Good luck on your journey, you can do it!
  • sunset1004
    sunset1004 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I try to put a reasonable portion on my plate and then put the rest in the fridge before I even take 1 bite. Its just not as tempting if its already getting cold.
  • SoozeE512
    SoozeE512 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Next time you're craving pizza, bring enough money for only a couple of slices. Get the slices and eat them there -- then when you're thinking about getting more, you won't have the money for more and you'll just have to go home. Then have a plan to keep your mind busy when you get home. If at any point you think, 'I can just go home to get money to get more pizza', just think how awkward it would be for the workers at the pizza place to see you coming back for more after you already just sat there and ate a couple of slices in front of them...
  • charismanoodles
    charismanoodles Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    You could try to make a low cal version of what your craving, I have pizza muffins a lot. I get some wholemeal muffins and slice them in half. Top them with what you want and bake. Should be around ~300 calories and I have it with a side of baked sweet potato fries.

Alternatively, only buy 1 or 2 slices to curb the craving.
  • yetahbennett
    yetahbennett Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I totally understand! Im a home health Nurse so I spend a large portion of my day in the car, its so easy to go to a drive-through and grab those delicious fast foods. I had to make myself go to the grocery and stock up on things to take with me so I could snack on them. Try buying some soft tortilla taco shells and put olive oil on it and then use some pizza sauce, low fat cheese, and u can use some turkey sausage or even a few pepperonies and season with garlic powder and a dash of salt and add a few banana pepper slices or sliced black olives and onions, green peppers and bake until the cheese melts. Delicious and filling. You can prepare these in advance! Also find you some kind of low cal, low fat snack you like. I love the raw sugar snap peas with just a little dip, also strawberries, apples. These are things that taste good and hold you over to the next meal. Then on the weekend you can allow yourself 2 slices of real pizza!!! Its about moderation! Make sure you drink your water and get your exercise! No more buying a whole pizza, try buying by the slice or a personal pan pizza on those days you allow yourself a special treat! We are all works in progress! Stay motivated and positive!
  • CByron3519
    Options
    Treating yourself is not bad! I have read a lot of things from people like Jillian Michaels that says have a day during the week and treat yourself. The key in that though is to not eat more than one serving. More often than not we gain by eating to much more so than what we are eating. Pizza in itself is not bad, but eating the whole thing is. Try drinking 1-2 glasses of water before eating anything. It will trick your body into thinking it is full and you wont eat as much. Water has been my biggest support so far because it helps me feel full but it also speeds up the metabolism.
    This is a journey and like almost all of the ones we face in life we learn as we go!
    Good Luck!
  • lintino
    lintino Posts: 526 Member
    Options

No, I don't really have much else to eat in the house. No, I really don't want to spend the extra hour and a half driving to the grocery store after a long day at work.

I agree with many of the things that are being said, BUT this is also a big part of the problem. You need to find a way to always have choices in your home that you will eat. There are many times when I will think about doing fast food and then think about what I have at home. Usually the at home choices win, because they are tasty!! I know you didn't want to go shopping after work, so it is important that when you do your shopping that you purchase enough to get you through your week and past your "cravings".
  • bbydl64
    bbydl64 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Pick yourself up and start all over again tomorrow. Its no big deal.
  • silmarilliane
    silmarilliane Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    i completely agree - i don't understand why i will just carry on eating. i lost about 4 stone in 2011, then last year i pretty much gave up as i thought 'oh it was easy to lose...' my will power just went, and if i had a day not logging food, i absolutely binged as i was sort of preparing to start a diet again. worst was in december when i knew i was going to start again for new year - i ate so much each day i felt sick, bloated etc. i've now started logging afterward (the next day even) if i splurge a bit, just to make myself aware of how much i'm eating and the fact that it's undoing everything i've worked for. very frustrating - i find that i get tempted by things too easily, so if i have something in the house/at work, i'll snack.
    maybe next time you crave a pizza, work out how much you can have, and bag up the rest to go in the fridge/freezer before you start eating, that way you'll feel like you've finished when you see the empty box?

sorry if this isn't very helpful, just know that it isn't just you!
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    A craving is usually satisfied within the first couple of bites. Give it a shot and see. My big thing was thinking that I bought this, therefore I should eat it all or I'm wasting my money. Budgeting your calories is a lot like budgeting a bank account. You don't want to blow all of your money on one thing, because there is always something else you will want, and going into debt equals gaining weight. Get a "part time job" with some extra exercise so you can eat without the guilt. Find alternatives that allow you to save a little here for something else later.

I absolutely love this way of thinking about it. Thank you for sharing that!
  • tscott1964
    Options
    Most of the foods you name that tempt you are carbs. In my experience, once you get out of carb overload, you will be able to resist easier. Limit your exposure and make sure you have healthier versions of what you love in the house. I learned to make a healthier pizza with boboli wheat pizza crust, low sugar marinara, turkey pepperoni, and onions. No, it isn't pizza Inn...but it is good. Try journaling too, to record your thoughts regarding your day, stressors and food urges. It isn't easy, but you have come a long way. Don't beat yourself up now!
  • cwaters120
    cwaters120 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    You AREN'T the only one. I battle the same demon :blushing: , but I've discovered a couple things about MY demon (yours may have a different "fuel") . I do it out of boredom - both physical and mental, I do it out of stress, frustration and anger. I do it because, ultimately, it is something I can "control" when the rest of the world seems in chaos. That being said, I have found a few ways to short-circuit the beast or at least keep it a little more sane. I make lower calorie, lower fat versions of my craved-most foods and ALWAYS have the stuff on hand to make them. I try to keep premeasured amounts of "snacky" foods that I crave (and can't recreate) in little baggies/dishes in the freezer - premeasured means no thinking about portion control mid-attack and keeping them in the freezer slows the feasting. Just for example, pizza rolls. I haven't found a way to make them TASTE RIGHT for me, but by keeping 5 or 7 in a little baggie and only cooking that package I can't eat anymore without really thinking about it- do I want to wait to cook more or is it "too much work" to go through for them?

If you still can't resist the urge to go for pizza? I agree with Sooze :happy:
    Next time you're craving pizza, bring enough money for only a couple of slices. Get the slices and eat them there -- then when you're thinking about getting more, you won't have the money for more and you'll just have to go home. Then have a plan to keep your mind busy when you get home. If at any point you think, 'I can just go home to get money to get more pizza', just think how awkward it would be for the workers at the pizza place to see you coming back for more after you already just sat there and ate a couple of slices in front of them...
  • kaseybill
    kaseybill Posts: 28
    Options
    I have trigger foods, if I have a bite, I eat more and more of it, which leads me to eat more bad foods then it spirals out of control for a day or two. I just can't have those foods. Instead i keep foods that satisfy that craving on-hand so I don't go overboard. Pizza- I get individual whole wheat crusts, load it up with veggies and measure the cheese. I'd love to smother it in ranch dressing, but thats a trigger food for me so I find a hot sauce instead. I'll eat an entire pan of brownies if around. So I don't make them, but instead have individually wrapped dark chocolate- not anywhere as good but I can easily stop at one piece since I don't enjoy it as much. For me, planning is key... having 'replacement' food available and going grocery shopping 3x weekly so I'm never without food and starving- which leads me to do the quick, unhealthy route.
    Its frustrating when you realize 'holy crap, how did I let myself eat that!' but pick yourself up, put on a nice outfit and start all over tomorrow (when we look good we feel good!)
  • rozsbluejay
    rozsbluejay Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean. Not until I found someone (like a trainer) to keep me accountable to the things I do I started doing what I was supposed to.

At first, I would exercise a lot more and eat what I normally ate. Didn't get a lot of results, but yeah; the hardest part is letting go.