Recipes for feeding 3 guys but still diet friendly??

Options
I live with 3 guys. I do all of the cooking and they do all of the cleaning. They are constantly ravenous and the reason I gained so much weight in the first place. I make things like chicken and mango salsa and then give them rice and bread as filler and Ill just eat the chicken, but are there any other recipes that I can make for a bunch of athletic guys that I can eat as well??? Lunch or Dinner. Any recipes are appreciated!

Replies

• tbone0120
    Options
    I just made pork chops with an orange-chipotle glaze with roasted sweet potatoes. Delicious, filling and pretty good as far as calories are concerned. Or, I like cabbage rolls; meat filled little packages of deliciousness that won't leave you hungry and are fairly low in calories. The recipes are:

Orange-chipotle glazed pork chops with roasted sweet potatoes

For the glaze (enough for 2 chops):
    juice from one orange
    1 chipotle in adobo
    1 tbsp honey
    1 tbsp mirin (rice wine vinegar)
    1/4 tsp cumin
    salt and pepper to taste

For the sweet potatoes:
    cube the sweet potatoes and place in a large ziploc bag
    Add olive oil andwhatever seasoning you might like and mix to coat
    (I used ancho chile powder, cumin, garlic and a chipotle in adobo finely diced).
    Bake in a 425 degree oven until browned

For the chop:
    Heat skillet on stove top with olive oil, and brown chops over medium-high heat turning once
    finish the chops in the oven until desired doneness.
    Remove chops from oven and add the chipotle glaze to the pan over medium-low heat.
    Cook gently to avoid burning the sugars in the glaze until it has thickened slightly

Pour the glaze over the chop (and potatoes if desired), and garnish with green onions.

Cabbage Rolls:

Trim the bottom off of a head of cabbage and boil for a few minutes to loosen the leaves, remove to an ice bath.

In a medium bowl combine:
    1 lb. lean ground pork
    1 lb. lean ground beef
    1 cup sauerkraut
    1/2 to 1 cup cooked brown rice
    1/2 large onion, finely diced
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    1 cup V8 juice
    1 tbsp caraway seeds
    1 tbsp ground marjoram
    salt and pepper to taste

mix well and set aside

remove leaves from head of cabbage and remove any thick veins

place about 4 ounces of meat mixture in a cabbage leaf and roll like a mini burrito, repeat the process until meat mixture is gone.

in a dutch oven or oven safe casserole dish place 1-2 cups of sauerkraut, and 1-2 cups of V8 juice, place previously rolled cabbage rolls on top, cover with sauerkraut and some more V8 and cook until the cabbage rolls have an internal temperature of 165.

The cabbage rolls sound like a lot of work, they aren't too bad. They can also be made in large batches and frozen, they freeze really well.

2 cabbage rolls are around 350 calories.

Hope these help!
  • katy_trail
    katy_trail Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    crock pot shredded chicken. If you don't have one you can make it on the stove too.

1 jar of salsa or BBQ sauce
    water- not much, maybe 1 cup.
    seasonings sprinkled directly on the meat:
    cumin, garlic powder, fresh ground salt and pepper
    taco seasoning packets work well for this too.

for more flavor
    saute a bit of onion and jalapeno, and add it to the pot while it's cooking.

really awesome with pickled red onions

have subs
    tacos- you can have romaine tacos if you're watching carbs or
    makes an awesome chicken salad
    enchiladas with salsa verde on top
    BBQ pizza if you make yours with thin crust, not too bad on cals
    they even have premade crusts you can buy, so you know macros.

salmon is another really good one, if you aren't landlocked like me.
    prob. every guy loves grilled salmon, and grilled chicken for that matter.
    would they go for fish tacos? those are so yummy!
  • Clm81401
    Clm81401 Posts: 61
    Options
    Sloppy Joe's

This is a Ellie Krieger recipe. It tastes wonderfull and by using beans with it, it is also a very inexpensive meal. Depending on what type of buns you use it is arround 180 callories.

1 pound extra-lean ground turkey
    1 onion, diced
    4 cloves garlic, minced
    1 jalapeno, minced
    1 red pepper, diced
    1 can small red beans or pinto beans, preferably low sodium drained and rinsed
    1 1/2 cups no-salt-added tomato sauce
    2 tablespoons tomato paste
    1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
    1 tablespoon molasses
    1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
    1 teaspoon mustard powder
    3/4 teaspoon salt
    Freshly ground black pepper
    8 whole-wheat burger buns

Brown the meat and the onion in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat for 5 minutes, breaking up the meat into crumbles as it cooks. Pour the drippings out of the pan and discard. Add the garlic, jalapeno, and red pepper and cook 5 minutes more, stirring occasionally. Stir in the rest of the ingredients, reduce heat to low, and simmer for 5 minutes more. Place a half-cup scoop of the mixture onto each bun and serve.
  • Corjogo
    Corjogo Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Add a salad or roasted veggies to the meat entrée.
  • aymeelaurain
    aymeelaurain Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I made this last year for Bastille Day and everyone went nuts over it. I made a vegetarian version and loved it. The good thing is you can prepare it the night before while another meal is cooking. Aside from the bacon it's really healthy and full of nutrients to fill you up. Also, if you don't want to waste a whole can of tomato paste you can just use ketchup. lol.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPSyUlSYr6Q