Homemade Vanilla Almond Milk

Options
jdelisle
jdelisle Posts: 1,050 Member
almondmilk.jpg

I absolutely love almond milk and it has been essential in my weight loss journey. It's low on calories, but high in taste. I tried making it for the first time last week, and posted the results on my cooking blog, Cooking With Jax. You can find the full recipe at the following link:

http://www.cookingwithjax.com/2012/03/homemade-vanilla-almond-milk.html

Be sure to "Like" my page on Facebook! :) - www.Facebook.com/CookingWithJax

Replies

• th2much
    th2much Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    nteresting, I have never tried it but would like to try it.
  • jdelisle
    Options
  • lisapr123
    lisapr123 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    Sounds yummy! I'm a big fan of unsweetened almond milk.
  • tara7302011
    tara7302011 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    almondmilk.jpg

I absolutely love almond milk and it has been essential in my weight loss journey. It's low on calories, but high in taste. I tried making it for the first time last week, and posted the results on my cooking blog, Cooking With Jax. You can find the full recipe at the following link:

http://www.cookingwithjax.com/2012/03/homemade-vanilla-almond-milk.html

Be sure to "Like" my page on Facebook! :) - www.Facebook.com/CookingWithJax
  • tara7302011
    tara7302011 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I just tried it about 15 min ago for the first time, and it is yummy... I had the chocolate one lastnight for a treat.. Its soo good.. Found it just in time.. =0
  • beccacoug
    beccacoug Posts: 24
    Options
    Def going to try! Thanks!
  • Mera_Mera
    Mera_Mera Posts: 153
    Options
    My Aunt Flor taught me how to make almond, rice, and soy milk. I must say that I have also tried cashew milk. It didn't work though. Only soy and almond milk for me.
  • Rdahl2
    Rdahl2 Posts: 90
    Options
    Interesting. Thanks for sharing. I'm a fan of almond milk as well.
  • healthydoseofglitter
    healthydoseofglitter Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    I was all about the almond milk until i tried the pure silk coconut milk

:) heavennnnnnnnnnnnn
  • devilsangel2
    devilsangel2 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Home made Almond milk is not particularly low in calories. I don't know how the manufacturers manage to get theirs so low but if you look up nutritional info on home made almond milk it is around 150 cals a cup.

I was making it and really liked it (you can't buy it pre-made here) but the cals are higher than low fat milk so it put me off using it.
  • jdelisle
    Options
    I was all about the almond milk until i tried the pure silk coconut milk

:) heavennnnnnnnnnnnn

I LOVE coconut milk! I can't wait until we get the Silk brand here (Canada).
  • csmbsailor
    csmbsailor Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    How do you go about calculating how many calories are in a cup of the almond milk?
    Because 1 cup of ground almonds is 549 cals, but how do you know what you have leached out into the milk?
  • devilsangel2
    devilsangel2 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I didn't calculate it - this was the average figure that i found hunting the net for nutritional information on home made almond milk.
  • jdelisle
    Options
    How do you go about calculating how many calories are in a cup of the almond milk?
    Because 1 cup of ground almonds is 549 cals, but how do you know what you have leached out into the milk?

I am looking into it so I can add the nutritional info to the recipe. This one is trickier for sure!

You do add 4 cups of water so automatically that number would be divided by 4, not to mention the pulp that is removed. Also, I measure a cup of raw almonds, not ground so it might be even less still. :)
  • jdelisle
    Options
    Home made Almond milk is not particularly low in calories. I don't know how the manufacturers manage to get theirs so low but if you look up nutritional info on home made almond milk it is around 150 cals a cup.

I was making it and really liked it (you can't buy it pre-made here) but the cals are higher than low fat milk so it put me off using it.

1 cup almonds = 540 calories/4 (cups of water added) = 135 calories per cup. This doesn't include the pulp you strain out, so I imagine that would drop a bit as well. I think it's likely comparative to cow's milk at 90-130 calories depending on the %.
  • jdelisle
    Options
  • Tammyrph
    Tammyrph Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I didn't calculate it - this was the average figure that i found hunting the net for nutritional information on home made almond milk.

i found the recipes for the higher calorie count home made almond milk had dates and/or honey in them which deffinately increased the calories hence upping the average
  • cpiton
    cpiton Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Sounds delicious! Thanks :flowerforyou:
  • mgoetsch1982
    mgoetsch1982 Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • JeneticTraining
    JeneticTraining Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    You should try oat milk. Cheaper to make.