Nutritional info - bacon ...

Options
Cooked up some bacon then noticed on the back the nutritional info says for 2 RAW slices its 230 calories and 22 grams of fat.

Well clearly Im not going to eat it raw.... so how do I know what the nutritional value is after its cooked and the fat is drained?

:huh:

Replies

• Ashwee87
    Ashwee87 Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    I wonder if there is a difference between fried and baked. I bake my bacon. (Can cook more and it taste better to me.) But when I log it, it says "fried slices". D:
  • Jessi_Brooks
    Jessi_Brooks Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    Nevermind.... I found some info on this site

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/pork-products/7676/2
  • jc1961AA
    jc1961AA Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Would turkey "bacon" be healthier, I know it tastes nice, I had some when I was on holiday in the States
    JC
  • SynapseAP
    SynapseAP Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I just ran into the same problem trying to track bacon the other day. From what I read from browsing around, if you fry and drain the fat, it is about half the calories/fat as if you ate it raw (so 2 slices fried/drained is about the same as 1 slice raw). Apparently if you microwave and blot the fat with a paper towel it is even "better" for you, but that's overkill for me. Not 100% sure on this but from what I read around this seemed to be the consensus.
  • ecw3780
    ecw3780 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    if you bake your bacon in the oven on a broiler pan, a lot of the fat renders away. I think it is about 70 calories a serving for turkey bacon.
  • atrebor18
    atrebor18 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Would turkey "bacon" be healthier, I know it tastes nice, I had some when I was on holiday in the States
    JC

I used to wonder that too and did some research, turkey bacon is wayyyyy more processed. Also it can be more unhealthy (less protein, more fat) then some regular bacons so its really important to check the labels. It also tastes like crap imo. I recommend switching to center cut bacon, thats less fat than the normal or thick cut kind. My problem was portion control, I could eat half a package by myself =/ but now I limit myself to one serving...like your suppose to lol
  • psych0kitty
    psych0kitty Posts: 313
    Options
    I wonder if there is a difference between fried and baked. I bake my bacon. (Can cook more and it taste better to me.) But when I log it, it says "fried slices". D:

I bake mine too. I do it on a rack so all the fat drips away. That's gotta be better than letting it fry in all its fat! But I still log it as fried because I'd rather overestimate than underestimate.
  • ptrm
    ptrm Posts: 3
    Options
    jones canadian bacon and eating right bacon are both wayyy better
  • Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,803 Member
    Options
    tumblr_lrbz19Y9jq1qm3nlgo1_500.gif

You are missing the point, if you eat bacon you account for that liquid gold that comes off when you cook and you add some onions and peppers and whatever eles you have to the pan and let the MAGIC happen. One of the best things about bacon is how it can turn crappy food into something wonderful, like green beans or any type of greens.
  • KaleidoscopeEyes1056
    KaleidoscopeEyes1056 Posts: 2,996 Member
    Options
    So I've been overestimating how many calories I eat from bacon? That only means one thing: MORE BACON!!!!! This might be the best day of my life!
  • jfrankic
    jfrankic Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    Nutritional Info: DELICIOUS

And that's all you need to know. :laugh:
  • Guamybear
    Guamybear Posts: 1,061 Member
    Options
    Try Costco low sodium..2pcs fried are about 90 cals.. Love it!
  • Denjo060
    Denjo060 Posts: 1,008
    Options
    I had bacon wrapped asparagus today for dinner with a brown sugar soy sauce glaze an it was only 262 calories a serving yum yum
  • verptwerp
    verptwerp Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options
    OMGbacon_zps5443b848.png

Love the real thing, but only eat it once or twice a month ....... too much sodium ......
  • cebiginalaska
    cebiginalaska Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    :love: :heart: :love: