Exercise while sick?

Options
What are your thoughts on exercising while sick.

I'm in a predicament. I'm a cardio junkie and I've recently started C25K. I'm really happy with my progress thus far BUT I've developed a nasty little head cold/chest infection.

Is it wise to still go for my run? Would it be better to just go for a moderate walk?

I feel really sad about potentially not getting a run in today BUT the last thing I want is to make myself worse and be out of the game for longer.

Replies

• MorganLeighRN
    MorganLeighRN Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Let your body rest. Like you said, you don't want to make yourself worse. Talk a walk and get plenty of fluids.
  • Sharkington
    Sharkington Posts: 485
    Options
    If you have an infection in your chest, do not go for a run. A stuffy nose is one thing, but when it comes to your your chest and lungs, you do not want to aggravate it because it can potentially get much worse. Take a rest; your body needs it. Missing one day, or even a couple isn't going to ruin your progress.
  • minihaak
    minihaak Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Hey found this on the Mayo clinic site. http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/exercise/AN01097

Mild to moderate physical activity is usually OK if you have a garden-variety cold and no fever. Exercise may even help you feel better by opening your nasal passages and temporarily relieving nasal congestion.

As a general guide for exercise and illness, consider this:

* Exercise is usually OK if your signs and symptoms are all "above the neck" — symptoms you may have with a common cold, such as runny nose, nasal congestion, sneezing or minor sore throat. Consider reducing the intensity and length of your workout, though, or you may feel worse. Instead of going for a run, take a walk, for example.
    * Don't exercise if your signs and symptoms are "below the neck" — such as chest congestion, hacking cough or upset stomach.
    * Don't exercise if you have a fever, fatigue or widespread muscle aches.

Let your body be your guide. If you have a cold and feel miserable, take a break. Scaling back or taking a few days off from exercise when you're sick shouldn't affect your performance. Resume your normal workout routine gradually as you begin to feel better. And check with your doctor if you aren't sure if it's OK to exercise.

Remember if you do choose to exercise when you're sick, reduce the intensity and length of your workout. If you attempt to exercise at your normal intensity when you have more than a simple cold, you could risk more serious injury or illness.
  • Health_Gal
    Health_Gal Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    If you exercise when you are sick, just do some light exercise that doesn't wear you out too much.

Hope you feel better soon!
  • ecw3780
    ecw3780 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Hey found this on the Mayo clinic site. http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/exercise/AN01097

Mild to moderate physical activity is usually OK if you have a garden-variety cold and no fever. Exercise may even help you feel better by opening your nasal passages and temporarily relieving nasal congestion.

As a general guide for exercise and illness, consider this:

* Exercise is usually OK if your signs and symptoms are all "above the neck" — symptoms you may have with a common cold, such as runny nose, nasal congestion, sneezing or minor sore throat. Consider reducing the intensity and length of your workout, though, or you may feel worse. Instead of going for a run, take a walk, for example.
    * Don't exercise if your signs and symptoms are "below the neck" — such as chest congestion, hacking cough or upset stomach.
    * Don't exercise if you have a fever, fatigue or widespread muscle aches.

Let your body be your guide. If you have a cold and feel miserable, take a break. Scaling back or taking a few days off from exercise when you're sick shouldn't affect your performance. Resume your normal workout routine gradually as you begin to feel better. And check with your doctor if you aren't sure if it's OK to exercise.

Remember if you do choose to exercise when you're sick, reduce the intensity and length of your workout. If you attempt to exercise at your normal intensity when you have more than a simple cold, you could risk more serious injury or illness.

this.
  • Tejaco
    Tejaco Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I would say listen to your body. When it comes to colds, there's sick, and then there's sick. Assume your body needs a lot of your normal energy in order to heal, so try something moderate. Just be sure to have an escape plan (I mean if your run/walk takes you somewhere you can't easily get out of if you suddenly wear out) and pay close attention to how tired you are getting. Don't push. Your body needs a lot of your strength right now.
  • nsagley
    nsagley Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I read an article that says if you're not running a fever go ahead and work out.
  • RunnerElizabeth
    RunnerElizabeth Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    So I just had a cold and continued with my regular running schedule and daily active lifestyle and it progressed into pneumonia. Granted I'm at higer risk for lung infections due to asthma, but the rule of thumb is neck up, you are clear to excecise. If it's in your chest you need to rest until you feel better or you run the risk of being sidelined for much more than a day or two.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    Chest infection? Hell no. stay home.