Recovery time?

Options
Hey all,

I tried boxing for the first time on Friday afternoon. It was a hell of a full body workout and I was pretty darn sore on Saturday. Oddly, Sunday, today, I am even more sore. I am unsure how long I should give myself to recover. I am trying to make sure I workout every other day, and walk every day. Since I was so sore today, i did not do too much. I did 12 mins running/walking on the treadmill, and then 15 mins on the rowing machine. Should I have given my body more time, or is that okay? I am a complete novice when it comes to exercise.

Thanks!

Replies

• ldressle66
    Options
    If you are a beginner, you should start slow.

I usually alternate cardio with strength training. On the days I lift weights, I only do ten-twenty minutes to warm up.

I think it is fine to rest if your body is telling you to rest.

Have you ever tried water aerobics?

Great low impact work out on days that you may feel like resting.
  • doc800
    doc800 Posts: 148
    Options
    Probably the best thing you can do is move when you are sore. The increased blood flow pushes the lactic acid out of your muscles. For me, I find it helpful to take a cold shower after a hard session, reason is it lowers core temp and slows the blood flow down a bit decreasing the build up of lactic acid. You may still be sore but most likely less.
  • lizzyb83
    lizzyb83 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    List to your body. DOMS can last any where from 24-48 hours. Mine always come on later, and if I always rested through, I would only work out twice a week! Cold shower, a good post recovery snack, and keep moving. Listen to your body, but know the difference between hurt and sore. You can push past sore and usually feel better!
  • Ninguneado73
    Options
    Take it slow and listen to your body. It is better to rest a few days than to be injured for weeks.
  • Hexahedra
    Hexahedra Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    Sufficient rest is about as important as the workout itself. There's nothing wrong with giving your muscles 2-3 days of rest if you feel particularly sore. The rest will give those sore muscles a chance to grow.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    List to your body. DOMS can last any where from 24-48 hours. Mine always come on later, and if I always rested through, I would only work out twice a week! Cold shower, a good post recovery snack, and keep moving. Listen to your body, but know the difference between hurt and sore. You can push past sore and usually feel better!

This sounds right to me. You sound sore, not injured, and I usually work thru soreness
  • hilsidney
    hilsidney Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Great, thank you all so much!! :)