high blood pressure and weight loss

Options
2»

Replies

• alexveksler
    alexveksler Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    HBP runs in my family. I had high BP for a long time. But since I lost 85 pounds I have normal readings now and don't take any meds. In fact my numbers are better than normal. My bp now around 110/60. I also been doing cardio every day for 1 hour. And my heart rate now around 50BPM. I just turned 50 and all I can say that diet and exercise contributed to my results.
  • Thomas42
    Thomas42 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I am a 70 year old male, diagnosed in January, with Chronic Kidney Disease Stage 3 after years living with obesity, hypertension, and high blood pressure. Until this diagnosis, I had pretty much given up dieting, for I have dieted many times only to regain my weigh ~ I could not sustain the weigh loss. My present weigh is 260 and I am 5' 7''. Instead of viewing the future as impossible, I recognize now that I am engaged in real changes to my life style, embracing new habits and goals, and beginning with the help of this App to learn about food and what goes in the body. It would be helpful if the nutrition facts also included Phosphorous for besides the amount of food I eat I must be very careful with some minerals. I am now at a gym working of weight training (which is very hard) and doing cardio (almost) everyday. I am looking for a friend who would journey toward this new life with me and I promise to return the support and encouragement. I am very scared that I may fail again, for I have so very often, but for some reason I am a lot more hopeful than during my earlier attempts.
  • whytewytch
    Options
    I too have a bp issue. On meds, gained weight. I am off the couch since the first of the year and you can see in my picture I am down 24 pounds! Get with your doc, walking is a great exercise and generally won't spike your heartrate/bp as much as other exercises. Start with walking and work up to running or weight training. Walking too hard on land? Try water walking in the pool, supports your weight. A lap pool is only waist deep, so you would need to worry about being a swimmer.

I find staying away from most canned goods, processed meats and eating out, keeps my sodium levels down. I retain water like a sponge and my bp goes up everytime I retain water. This means cooking at home, lots! Get back to me if you need menu ideas.

Good luck!

The machine at the store says I have hypertension; I haven't gotten to the doctor yet. HBP & strokes run in my family, though, so I'm watching the sodium intake. As mjculbertson4 says, stay away from canned and processed food as much as possible, table salt is another biggie--even a dash is very, very high. It's nice that MFP allows you to add that to your tracking numbers.

Again, I would check with your doctor about what exercise you can do, but most will usually say that walking or swimming (or both--mjculberton4--lol!) is great exercise without exerting your heart too much. Oh, and I used to love my yoga class--very relaxing, especially when you have small children at home. My kids are teen & pre-teen,.
  • stecrowe
    stecrowe Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Some good info here: http://www.drmirkin.com/
  • snowbike
    snowbike Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I lost my hypertension with my weight along with other health issues.

Im no longer on meds and have almost perfect BP for my age.
  • skinnymalinkyscot
    skinnymalinkyscot Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Hi there, ive also had high blood pressure (wore the 24 hour halti monitor) and saw my doctor to tlak about starting a diet and walking more, my doctor says she will give me a few months to lose some weight and check my readings again, if i dont see a difference in the BP readings then I will go on medication, im hoping that weight loss and keeping my salt levels under 6g a day will make the difference, ive also switched to decaffinated tea and coffee, I dont drink or smoke but Im stressed with having a hyperactive/aspergers teenage son who has challenging behaviour. I know high BP can be genetic so Im tryng ot make what changes I can anyway
  • ChrisinGA
    ChrisinGA Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I lost my hypertension with my weight along with other health issues.

Im no longer on meds and have almost perfect BP for my age.

Nice!
    I hope I can say that one day
  • jadams1650
    jadams1650 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Same here, drug controlled hypertension. Exercise and weight loss = no more meds for me. Actually went off them about a month ago after a visit to the doctor. Home checks confirm normal blood pressure now.
  • criscollrj
    criscollrj Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the replies on Advil Cold and Sinus - that was probably the culprit then! I've been off it for several days now as my cold is better so should probably get a recheck at CVS or somewhere just to see.

Mrsanneelk - I also have children with autism/asperger's/ADHD. - Hugs!!!