Really Bloated. Ugh.

Options
Any ideas on how to get rid of retained water? I've been drinking 14 glasses of water (112 oz.; Half of my weight in ounces would be 108oz.) and I'm trying to watch my sodium intake.

Any other ideas??

Replies

• Nina74
    Nina74 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Green tea (no sugar), B complex vitamin (take in morning, not close to bedtime). Those are my standard go-to's.
  • scotty_81
    scotty_81 Posts: 59
    Options
    I read an article the other day that said dry body brushing for three minutes a day will help with this. Should take about three weeks to notice a difference.
  • whittrusty
    whittrusty Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    What's dry body brushing??
  • Jellybean1970
    Jellybean1970 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I swear by lemons and water. squeeze 4 lemons into a 1 1/2 litre bottle of water and drink it in the am before eating anything. Stick close to the bathroom though. This has helped me lose 144 pounds. I only do it Saturday and Sunday though. Better on days off from work.
  • scotty_81
    scotty_81 Posts: 59
    Options
    How to combat swollen legs

No cream will stop the puffiness — save yourself the expense with a good diet, exercise, and rigorous body brushing
    Carolyn Asome
    Heavy, swollen legs and ankles are not, I admit, the sexiest beauty conundrum we could have found to tackle this Wednesday. However, the water retention that causes the swelling affects many of us and while a common symptom of pregnancy, it’s also exacerbated by hot weather, a sluggish circulation and too much processed, salty or spicy food.

Sadly, there is no quick fix. There’s little point in turning to the majority of firming creams and cooling gels on the market that promise the Earth and barely muster a synthetic smell. The mind boggles as to how a cooling gel is supposed to rid you of water retention and I’m equally sceptical of refining serums that purport to “lift”.

I recommend that you should start with dry skin brushing — a bore, yes, but you should notice results after two to three weeks: firmer skin, a more even skin tone and a diminished appearance of cellulite. Find a brush with natural bristles and start from the soles of your feet, sweeping up in firm, circular strokes (rather than linear ones) towards the heart — beauty therapists swear that this action helps to pump your lymphatic system. On your stomach and chest, brush a little more gently in a clockwise motion. Try this for three minutes every morning before you get into the shower. You could up the ante by applying a sugar or salt scrub and repeating the action.

This next step requires some self-bracing: blast your body, especially your legs, with alternating jets of warm and cold water, ten seconds of each for a minute. This is excellent for putting some zing into a tired body.

Admittedly, doing this at 7am requires dedication, so for a gentler but similar effect you could try Kniepping — sticking your feet alternately between buckets of cold water (for 20 seconds) and warm water (one minute) for a total of five minutes. Holistic experts claim that this is a form of hydrotheraphy that helps to bolster your immune system and kickstart your circulation. Who knows if that’s true, but I’ve always felt very energised afterwards. Of course, none of the above is going to work if you lead a sedentary life or eat badly. Speed up the detoxification process by drinking nettle or fennel tea rather than turning to a can of fizzy drink. Water retention happens when the body thinks it is dehydrated, so drink plenty of water and consume caffeine, alcohol and refined sugar in moderation. Regular exercise is also going to make a difference.

On a more relaxing note, don’t underestimate the power of massage and reflexology to get things shifting. Both are a great way of draining the toxins from your body.

3 OF THE BEST

Dr. Stuart’s wild nettle tea, £1.95, is refreshing and helps to eliminate the build-up of toxins.

Kniepp thermal spring bath salt, £7.95, contains highly concentrated essential oils. Try rosemary (to invigorate) and spruce (to energise) in your footbath.

Organic Pharmacy’s lymphatic massage, £70 for 1½ hours, is a real treat of a way to flush out excess water.

Commenting is no longer available on this site. To have your say on this story, click here to visit our new site, www.thetimes.co.uk
  • emmylou13
    emmylou13 Posts: 46
    Options
    body brushing? does it work? ... anyone tried this... it is an interesting concept... :laugh:
  • Voncreepy2
    Voncreepy2 Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    Watermelon is a natural diuretic (makes you pee)!!!!!
  • Nina74
    Nina74 Posts: 470 Member
    Options