Advice for a new runner!

Options
Runners: What is one or two things that you wish someone had told you when you first started running?

Replies

• red0801
    red0801 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Posture & Foot Strike matters-look into running posture/neutral strike.

http://www.runnersworld.com/running-tips/perfect-form
  • agirlscamaro
    agirlscamaro Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Start slowly!!! I tried to start off at 5-6 days a week with 2+miles on a treadmill. My knees hurt so bad. I bought KTTape which really helped but not running for a week and a half then going back to running 2-3 times a week really worked. My knees don't hurt with that pace.
  • red0801
    red0801 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    O & remember your doing this for enjoyment. SMILE
  • laurieagain09
    laurieagain09 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    1. The importance of proper running clothes and shoes.

2. Runkeeper app!! & Pandora "dance cardio" or "hip hop and power work out" playlist

hope people add a lot more, I could use advice too!
  • Kelly_fat2fit30
    Options
    Awesome tips!! I especially love the smiling one :)
  • emtjmac
    emtjmac Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    Here is a post I made that some people seem to find helpful:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/805724-want-to-run-do-it-some-crappy-advice-from-a-newbie?hl=crappy+advice

Here's another one I wrote that addresses the importance of strength training:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/921236-guide-to-strength-for-new-runners?hl=strength+new+runner#posts-13980461

I'm still learning every day and I don't think it'll ever stop. Good luck and I hope that these help you!
  • Lostone31
    Lostone31 Posts: 57
    Options
    I wish someone told me heel striking was bad... I learned the hard way... 1.5 mile walk back from a run with shins in the worst pain they have ever been in.

oh and you will experience runners stomach when you run far enough... had that happen 2 miles out... and there was no bathroom between me and the start point that I could use...
  • tachyon_master
    tachyon_master Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    1. Don't try and run every day. Start out with 1-2 days a week and build up to every other day, and then every day (if you want). Same goes for speed - build up to it.

2. Running can be very monotonous at times. Put together a good playlist on your ipod (or whatever you use) to keep you motivated.
  • Lostone31
    Options
    I suggest running in a nice downtown area with extremely expensive houses... you can dream while you run by them... hahaha

oh and beer is an awesome post long run refreshment... :)
  • emtjmac
    emtjmac Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    I wish someone told me heel striking was bad... I learned the hard way... 1.5 mile walk back from a run with shins in the worst pain they have ever been in.

oh and you will experience runners stomach when you run far enough... had that happen 2 miles out... and there was no bathroom between me and the start point that I could use...

Last week I was on the way back from a 5K and had to run down a wooded embankment and poop at a 45 degree angle. I know all about it!
  • AlessisMore
    AlessisMore Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Be really careful about running through an injury. Sometimes taking a day or two off will keep a little problem from becoming a chronic problem!

And leave your technology home sometimes and just run for the sheer fun of it: no watch, no gps, no tunes...just you and the road. It can be pretty zen!
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    I really wish I'd built up a solid base of 20km+ per week for a year before going into half marathon training. By the time I finished running my first half, my IT bands were so hurt I didn't run for a year afterward.
  • amc119
    amc119 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I'm a heel runner...for the next 2 weeks, I have to work with it as i have a test next weekend...but after that I need to transition to anything but heel striking as my knees and shins are killing me! Any advice for that?
  • Lostone31
    Options
    I'm a heel runner...for the next 2 weeks, I have to work with it as i have a test next weekend...but after that I need to transition to anything but heel striking as my knees and shins are killing me! Any advice for that?

I switched overnight... I bought shoes that made it hurt to heel strike thin thin thin soled shoes. then I watched about 20 or so youtube vids on proper run form.
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options

If you start by shortening up your stride and really focusing on your foot strike... that's about it. Even with a heel strike, a shorter stride can reduce the injuries that come from reaching so far forward with the leg. Think tall, upright and legs kicking back like a leg lift towards the back...
  • Kelly_fat2fit30
    Options

Last week I was on the way back from a 5K and had to run down a wooded embankment and poop at a 45 degree angle. I know all about it!

HAHA!!!!