Follow Up- Exercise Induced Asthma

Options
I went to the doc this past week to find out what's going on. In a prior post, I mentioned a tightness in my chest that makes it hard to take a deep breath, cough and shortness of breath during and up to two hours after exercise. This felt more than just a "out of shape" type of shortness of breath since it persisted for so long afterwards and had the cough with it. Symptoms seemed to match EIA pretty well.

She prescribed an albuterol inhaler to use, and I asked for a peak flow meter to use also. Normal peak flow was 450. Used the albuterol inhaler before Zumba the other night and had NO ISSUES. HOLY COW!!! I felt like I could exercise better and wasn't as restricted by the trouble breathing. I did a peak flow measurement after class and it was almost normal (around 430).

I will follow up for some more pulmonary function tests to make sure there is nothing else going on, and she also recommended an exercise stress test just to rule out anything cardiac being the cause. I don't feel it's cardiac (and don't think she did either since she didn't restrict my exercise) but I'll do it anyways to get cleared.

I'm amazed at how well I felt the other day after exercise. I guess that's how it's supposed to feel? LOL I want to do a class and do the peak flow afterwards to see what it is without treatment.

Replies

• andrea464
    andrea464 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Yikes.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    I had that in high school.. I wasn't overweight (thought I was) but I was very out of shape..Needed it for a bit in my 20s too. Keep at it and if it's just due to being out of shape it will get better with time..
  • ellygolightly
    Options
    I have EIA, I get it all the time and I can't prevent it. I've had asthma since early childhood. I usually take my ventolin about 15-20 minutes before a workout and that tends to help a lot, but I still need my puffer with me whenever I exercise. I also have asthma that is sensitive to the air temperature so if I walk outside to go to the gym and it's 30 degrees and walk into the gym and it's 20, that effects my asthma aswell.

I also get blocked ears due to have EIA. So many frustrations! But this can't stop me :)
  • CrystalDreams
    CrystalDreams Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I have pretty bad asthma. I wheeze for no reason. I am glad you saw a doctor because asthma is no joke and seriously prevent you from working out. Because I cant afford my inhalers I currently use yogi tea breath deep. It helps.