protein-based breakfast ideas. eggs are getting old

Options
Any low-carb breakfast ideas out there? I'm seriously getting sick of eggs.

I don't eat soy and I like to "chew" my food in the morning so smoothies are out for now.

Helpppppppppppp me please

Replies

• ellygolightly
    Options
    What about adding things to eggs? Like omelettes? :D
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I have like lamb chops for breakfast, or I make a 'breakfast burger' which is some bacon, a fried egg, and some tomatoes on top of a burger :)

You can also prepare some chia seed pudding the night before.
  • willprovost
    willprovost Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Have some oatmeal and toss a scoop of protein powder in it. Problem solved! Except the chewy part, that is... 2 packets of instant oatmeal have 8 grams of protein, so no scoop of powder needed unless you want to load it up. Toss in a half scoop (about 12.5 g protein) in one packet and that's about as much as two eggs worth.

Sometimes I'm in a rush in the morning, and a poor man's trail mix is breakfast, just 1 oz peanuts (lightly salted dry roasted) and some raisins (snack sized box). 8 grams of protein, 250 calories, a good shot of sugar from the raisins to get you going, to. Only down side is kind of high on fat because of the nuts.
  • deedster_a
    deedster_a Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt and fruit, cottage cheese and fruit, peanut butter toast, leftovers.
  • Iamworthinvestingin
    Iamworthinvestingin Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal is a good choice, and you can add fruit and nuts to it if you wish - Some people like beans for breakfast, and that also has a lot of protein in it - personally, I love frittatas - I scramble some eggs, shred some zuchinni and add some parmesan, garlic, onions and peppers - or try spinach - you can add ham or lean sausage if you like -
  • albertabeefy
    albertabeefy Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    I make low-carb pancakes... Here's my recipe:

1/4c Almond flour
    1/8c Whey Protein Powder
    1/8c Vital Wheat Gluten
    1tsp baking powder
    1tbsp cinnamon
    1pkt splenda/equal/whatever sweetener you like
    1egg
    Splash of milk (enough to get the batter the right consistency)

Mix/sift dry ingredients well, then add the egg and milk. Makes 3-4 small pancakes. Much better texture/taste then some low-carb pancakes I've played with. Getting pretty close to what mom used to make.

Very low carb. I top them with a little butter and Walden Farms maple syrup. You could also do fruit or something in them.

BTW - a GREAT place for low-carb recipes is low-carb diabetes forums. As a diabetic I get my recipes from diabetesforum dot com.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    1/2 serving of fat free greek yogurt
    Sweetener/vanilla extract to taste
    1 serving of Special K Protein Plus cereal

24 carbs/22 protein, with a bit of a crunch to it. You can add protein powder too if you like.
  • Searedtuner
    Searedtuner Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I mix sunflower seeds with craisins 1serving: 1serving ratio of each for breakfast. Seems to do the trick for me.
  • minniebee
    minniebee Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • JJordon
    JJordon Posts: 857 Member
    Options
    Tri-way smoothie.

Non-fat milk
    Egg beaters
    Scoop of Whey protein powder
    Scoop of Casein protein powder
    Some ice

Blend.

Chug.

Pump fist to the sky.
  • mbrough58
    mbrough58 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Turkey burgers - fast, chewy, and sometimes taste like sausage.
    Sunshine salad - romaine, carrots, red pepper, sunflower seeds, spinach, feta, cold chicken, balsamic vinegar, olive oil
    Mediterranean plate - hummus, olives, feta, some veggies and hot tea
    Apple chicken sausage - delicious from Trader Joe's and it comes in other flavors
  • corsayre8
    corsayre8 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    People get stuck on having to have breakfast food in the am, but truth is traditional breakfast food tends to be high fat and high carb. Just try substituting a typical lunch meal, (say this because prep seems to be easier, but dinner leftovers would work as well), and see how that works for you.

One of my favorite alternative breakfast meals is a salad. I add kidney and garbanzo beans, some fruit, and it is a wholesome, filling start to the day.
  • TheNewDodge
    TheNewDodge Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Steak
  • albertine58
    albertine58 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    try putting egg whites in oatmeal! gives it a nice custard-like consistency.

I use plain whole rolled oats or the kashi go-lean cinnamon instant packets- the kashi packets are nice and chewy, not like standard textureless instant oatmeal. just whisk the oatmeal water together with 1 egg or 1-2 servings of egg whites (could try more but I never have). Then add your oatmeal packet, stir, and microwave. my favorite toppings are fresh blueberries and 1/2 banana.

Protein powder in oatmeal works very well too. Or make a big batch of protein pancakes, protein muffins, etc. on the weekend and freeze them. then pop in the toaster in the AM. so easy! Try the Fitnessista's Perfect Protein Pancakes (google it). they're amazing. And I second the greek yogurt parfait suggestion! that's one of my favorite things in the world- try it with pineapple & banana for a heavenly tropical vacation breakfast!
  • 127ismygoal
    127ismygoal Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Make your own low fat sausages? Easier than you think, all you need is a mincer (not really that expensive...and useful) and some lean meat, then add your own herbs/spices (I'd go for something with some heat), shape and grill or dry fry.

Make lots on your day off and freeze any you're not eating straight away!
  • RonandDi
    RonandDi Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I have cottage cheese almost every morning...sometimes I just have a carnation breakfast drink. Good protein and fair calories.
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    Steak
  • HKooner
    HKooner Posts: 28
    Options
    I have Herbalife Protein shake.
  • lisaboivinhigdon
    lisaboivinhigdon Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm just getting started with MFP. These are all great suggestions.
  • yiffanarff
    yiffanarff Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Bump for great breakfast ideas.