Choosing to do that Lap-Ban...any concerns?

Options
124»

Replies

• __Karl__
    __Karl__ Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Try to do it the "natural" way! It will take time, but it can be done.
  • plateauwoman
    plateauwoman Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    there's a really inspiring story on cnn.com about a couple who together have lost 500 pounds between them, but note that it has taken 2 years of calorie counting and exercise. if you have a lap-ban, you will have to be even more careful about what you eat than you possible are now, and you can even gain weight again.so make sure you have healthy habits in place before undergoing major surgery.
  • dgljones
    dgljones Posts: 89
    Options
    The whole digestive system is a lot more than a bag that gets full, which seems to be the logic many people use to justify the various surgeries.
    Messing with such a fundamental system should only be done if the alternative is a very high possibility of death.
    I've lost 140 lbs of my original 144 lb goal. I plan to probably lose another 20 on top of that. I've done one simple step at a time, and besides the obvious health improvements, the journey has changed and improved me as a human being in a multitude of ways.
    I never would have gained what I have through some quick fix. And that is not even looking at how surgery doesn't prepare you for the rest of your life in the way a long term diet and exercise plan would.
  • ShreddedTweet
    ShreddedTweet Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    The whole digestive system is a lot more than a bag that gets full, which seems to be the logic many people use to justify the various surgeries.
    Messing with such a fundamental system should only be done if the alternative is a very high possibility of death.
    I've lost 140 lbs of my original 144 lb goal. I plan to probably lose another 20 on top of that. I've done one simple step at a time, and besides the obvious health improvements, the journey has changed and improved me as a human being in a multitude of ways.
    I never would have gained what I have through some quick fix. And that is not even looking at how surgery doesn't prepare you for the rest of your life in the way a long term diet and exercise plan would.

Wonderful post and congratulations on your weight loss, that's a serious achievement. Well done.
  • Athena53
    Athena53 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I hope Dr. Oz didn't really recommend this surgery for anyone wanting to lose 50+ lbs. I was getting tired of his constant pushing of every supplement/seed/oil/obscure grain known to humanity already.

OP.... where are you, OP? Are you reading?
  • ShreddedTweet
    ShreddedTweet Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    As an aside, why are we saying 'Lap-Ban'? is it not 'Lap-BAND' as in it's a BAND they put on your stomach???
  • Athena53
    Athena53 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    As an aside, why are we saying 'Lap-Ban'? is it not 'Lap-BAND' as in it's a BAND they put on your stomach???

Yes, someone already noted that the OP claimed to have done a lot of research but wasn't using the proper name for the surgery.
  • amyk0202
    amyk0202 Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    I totally support your decision to lose weight & get healthier through WLS. Nearly a year ago I had a vertical sleeve gastrectomy (VSG) done laparoscopically & have lost 90 lbs. It was definitely one of the best choices I have ever made. That being said, I would hesitate to have a Lap Band. When I first met with my surgeon, I was also considering the band & he said that he was not recommending them anymore because the number of complications outweighed the number of successes. I suggest you look into a different type of surgery. The sleeve is also a restrictive type of surgery--you do not have to deal with the nutritional malabsorbtion issues of a bypass.

Any rapid weight loss can cause hair loss--I went through it, still have plenty of hair, & what I lost is growing back. Weight loss surgery is not to be taken lightly & you will still have to deal with your eating issues. It is also not "the easy way" or the "lazy" way. I worked with a nutritionist for 6 months prior to having my surgery, went to the psych testing, went through the pain of the surgery & recovery, & have had to totally change my way of eating while still providing my 4 children with food they will eat. Could I have done it without the surgery? Probably. Could I have kept it off? Probably not. I've been losing weight & regaining it for a long time.

To say that you just need to eat less than you burn is a really naive way to look at all the issues around weight loss. If it were really that easy, everyone would be skinny. To ignore the emotional issues/psych issues attached to eating & the motivations that fuel food addiction with a simplistic energy in & energy out formula is not dealing with real life. I also think that this forum is just about the least supportive place to be when considering WLS. I suggest you head over to www.3fatchicks.com . Don't feel like you have to justify your choices to anyone. You are making the best choice for you.
  • tonystarks75
    Options
    Surgery should only be an option if you have major medical problems and have already fully commited to a healthier diet for a long period of time (1 year+) and failed to get results. Any surgery is dangerous and you are more likely to increase your health problems than improve them if you dont eat healthier.
  • BernadetteImproving
    BernadetteImproving Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Hi Laura,
    I did not have this done, but I am close with a few coworkers who have had this procedure. I am assuming you feel you have exhausted all other nonsurgical ways to lose weight. I am sorry to say that all the people I work with that have this and have had it for a long time, lost a lot of weight initially and then, gradually put most of it back on despite the lap band. Watching my one coworker eat candy all day I can see how she put the weight back on. I have been told that it forces you to eat smaller meals and certain foods, like carbs that expand with liquid in you stomach can make you feel very uncomfortable. Personally, I would never have this done. I am a believer in exercise and a healthy diet. I need to lose about 50lbs. Since I have been out of control with eating again, I am going back on Medifast. I recommend it. It is not a long term solution, but it helped me get on track the first time I did it and I lost 30 lbs. I know nothing is a magic weight loss bullet. It is up to me to make the right choices. I do feel much better and more motivated when I do one of my exercise DVDs 20-60 minutes at least 5 times a week. I work and it is much easier for me to fit a workout in before work if I know I do not have to get dressed to go to a gym. I did Curves after work for a year, but I rather get the workout over with first thing in the morning. I wish you great success in whatever you decide. --Bernadette:smile:
  • msanchez103
    msanchez103 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    A good friend of mine chose the lap band surgery and had to lose weight before she could get it. She dropped 20 pounds to get the "ok" to have the procedure, I tried to talk her out of it then because she really could do it on her own. Three years later she has difficulty eating and refuses to go to the doctor because she has gained weight. She has learned to work out but she is still not eating healthy especially with the difficulties she's had with the surgery. It's very hard to go out to eat with her when she's dry heaving all the time. I've had to sit back and watch her struggle and bite my lip the whole time trying not to say "I told you so." It's not healthy and it is the easy way out. You can do this without the surgery, unfortunately to do it without just means you will have to work hard and it will be a slower process. Please think twice about going through with the surgery.
  • mcalicci
    mcalicci Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I did the bypass surgery almost 10 years ago, I don't regret it a minute from my decision, the only thing that I wasn't aware of it, and after 8 years maintaining my weight, I started putting the weight on, little by little. I couldn't understand why, since I kept myself active and kind of choosing the right food, but still the weight was crawling all over again, so I gained 30+ pounds within 2 years, struggling to get rid off it, without any success. I was more than sure I was having problems with my thyroid, but since it's hard to be detected, my doctor didn't want to prescribe me something to fix the problem. I started taking iodine by myself (researched) and now, finally my weight is going back to where I was when I had the gastric bypass surgery. Before the surgery I was 242 pds, and very active, but losing 2 pds and putting back 3 pds per week. After the surgery, my lowest weight was 142 pds, I maintained for years at 157 pds, until few months ago, my highest weight reached 197 pds. Just keep in mind that you'll always struggle with your weight, even though you won't be able to eat a lot, but if you don't watch yourself you can start choosing to eat the wrong food, and your body will retain EVERYTHING, because it was used to eat a reasonable portion, and now...it thinks, it is in deprivation mode! And whoever said this surgery is for lazy people, they are dead wrong! each one of us know the struggles, frustrations, depressions we go through, and in my case...something I was not, was Lazy! Good luck to you!
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Just keep in mind that you'll always struggle with your weight

Sounds like a nightmare.