What running app do you love and why??

Options
I'm going to be starting c25k tomorrow or the next Monday, but probably tomorrow. I've been planning on using the Zombies 5k Training, but I've heard it's brutal for beginners and I've never ran before.

Apps I'm looking at for c25k:
Zombies 5k Training
Active.com's c25k
c25k by Zen Labs

App I'm looking at for tracking my running:
Runtastic-bc it syncs with MFP
Runkeeper-bc it syncs with Bodymedia
Runstar-bc it looks fun AND syncs with Runkeeper
Endomondo-bc it has a routes feature
Nike+ bc a friend of mine uses it and absolutely has loved it

Any thoughts on these? I live in a small, very hilly town and something that would map an ideal route would be amazing for me. I have a Bodymedia and don't manually log anything into MFP anymore (except my calorie intake) so I'm kinda thinking I would do Runtastic for that reason, it might mess it up with Bodymedia syncing and Runtastic trying to sync that info over again? Ideally, I will run my c25k app and one of the other apps. And if I choose a difference c25k other than the Zombie 5k, I will run Zombies Run as well for the storyline. I've used it for walks and enjoy it. I'm also open to other programs I haven't heard of yet :)

Replies

• stephaniethomas80
    stephaniethomas80 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I use Endomondo. I love that it maps out my route and syncs with mfp
  • jennikraken
    Options
    Runkeeper is my app of choice. I use it for my running, walking, and bicycling. I wish it would sync with MFP though, but its fairly easy to just enter calories burned into MFP.
  • chellebublz
    chellebublz Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I've been playing with the websites for each of them and deft leaning toward Runkeeper since it syncs with Bodymedia and I was able to create some routes in it as well. Syncing with MFP isn't important to me since I don't really log my exercise in MFP anymore. I create a workout in the Bodymedia app and just let it update to MFP, since I don't want to mess anything up and I eat my calories based on what I've burned with Bodymedia.
  • corsayre8
    corsayre8 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    I've been using Runkeeper, it is ok. Doesn't sync, but the calorie counts are close to those of MFP. Neither of which are close to that of my HRM, but that is what I get for living in the hills.

Tried Runtastic. Wasn't impressed, but then I hate apps that say they are free but are useless unless you pay for the upgrade. Just tell me what it costs up front, I'll pay for decent apps. Just don't waste my data with false advertising.
  • wassergottin
    wassergottin Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I love Runkeeper. I use it for running, walking, and hiking. Unfortunately, I don't think that it accurately logs calories, but I don't care - it's difficult to accurately log calories, even when using a heart rate monitor. It's a very encouraging app that allows you to set goals. My current goal is to run 100 km this month, and as of yesterday I hit 80. :D
  • starlite_79
    starlite_79 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    i personally wouldn't recommend runtastic. i tried it for awhile & didn't find it very useful. now i use runkeeper, and i think it's totally awesome. and while i don't have any personal experience with endomondo myself, i've heard good things about that one. unfortunately i can't use it because i have an ipod touch & the endomondo app is not compatible with it.
  • hatethegame
    hatethegame Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I like Runkeeper. It maps and the calorie calcs are very consistent with what I get on my HRM. Its really not that big of a deal that it doesn't sync with MFP.
  • supahstar71
    supahstar71 Posts: 926 Member
    Options
    IntervalTimer
  • triggsta
    triggsta Posts: 140
    Options
    I use endomondo with all my workouts. Mapmyrun just never cut it out for me (and why have a ton of apps like mapmyhike, etc. or whatever?!). I used to use RunDouble (has a C25k program you can purchase), but endomondo just simply had more stats I enjoyed. The HRM features were enticing, as were the custom interval trainer. I ended up buying the app and buying premium. It took months for me to decide to actually do so, but now that I have, I'm in love with the app and all the online features. Really helps me in tracking my progress and improving. Probably my favorite feature is the fact that it shows you your "best distances" on your run and overall, so you can always improve your running.

p.s. you can easily input the C25k program into Endomondo by using the interval trainer and building your own program. You can do either by distance or time, whichever works better for you.
  • Scott15Fit
    Options
    I use Endomondo Pro as the basic version doesn't have the interval timer. Costs a few dollars but lets you setup a C25K or similar program.

I also paid for the Endomondo Premium website features which instead of just giving you your best times allow you to see how you've been improving over time and give you a benchmark vs all other users.

I also like the challenges that Endomondo has (part of free website features), makes it a bit more sociable.

Edit: I have noticed that Endomondo calories can be a bit higher than MFP, so I would only eat 70% of them back.
  • chellebublz
    chellebublz Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I'll probably try them all out until I find out what works for me :) Starting with Runkeeper first since it does sync with both Bodymedia and Zombies Run. Endomondo does look nice too so I will try that as well, thanks for all the input!
  • Scott15Fit
    Options
    One good thing about both Runkeeper and Endomondo is that they both allow you to import/export your workouts as TCX files. So technically you can use both at once without loosing any data until you decide on one.
  • LazyGuy91
    LazyGuy91 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I use Couch to 5k.

Even though I used to play sports, this is my first time actually learning how to run and build up to a distance. I've had a couple of friends who had success with this app, although, they weren't overweight like me. I hope to do a 5k Zombie Run eventually!
  • kortmar1
    kortmar1 Posts: 3
    Options
    I am a Runkeeper girl - I have been using it religiously now for 3 months (143 - Total Activities:727 km - Total Distance:38,106 - Total Calories) and I am wrapped with it. If it isnt accurate on the calorie count then I wouldnt know as I have nothing to compare it with but keeping to the 1200cal limit (or under) on MFP using the Runkeeper calorie count has helped me drop about 11kg in the last 3 months - am pretty much the weight I want to be now.

I desperately wish it would sync with MFP but unfortunately it doesnt..... however so happy with both apps that I havent been tempted to switch either to something that syncs with the other.

I thought about paying for the upgrade but other than your activities in real time, with me mostly walking and cycling, it doesnt seem like I will gain anything from paying for the upgrade.

Happy to friend on MFP or Runkeeper (LyneB - Kortmar)
  • Darrell916
    Darrell916 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I use digifit
  • jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Options
    To start off with I used Ease into 5k which is good as it gives you a map and a walking and running rate-it's similar to the C25K programme. I then went onto Runkeeper. This can also be linked to Earndit website so you can earn money for vouchers or charity.
  • kyliehalverson
    Options
    Any of the zens lab I have thr c25k the 10k and tr half marathon apps and love them thy also have a push up app which is really cool