22 pounds in 11 days...

Options
So I know weight loss is a side effect of my medication (Topamax), but this is just NUTS! I am eating 2000+ calories a day and still losing 2 pounds a day. I love the loss but I don't want to risk my health.

What do I do?

Replies

• Cakelady92
    Options
    Maybe I'm debloating from my previous medicine?
  • Cakelady92
    Options
    I have an appointment Thursday. Maybe things will slow down until then.
  • Cakelady92
    Options
    wait... how much do you weigh? You don't look like you have much weight to lose, but on the other hand your ticker says you want to lose 100lbs.

I started at 280 and now I'm at 258
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    It could be a combo between the new effects of medication and any exercise regime you are doing.. especially if you are new to exercise.

I would see your doctor
  • Cakelady92
    Options
    wait... how much do you weigh? You don't look like you have much weight to lose, but on the other hand your ticker says you want to lose 100lbs.

How much did you weigh when you started this medication?

280. I started it 11 days ago when I started dropping weight.
  • austinmclark
    austinmclark Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I weighed 310 and dropped to 290 in a matter of 2 weeks. It is perfectly normal to lose that much weight. Big people lose it faster. But if you're concerned, see your doctor.
  • laele75
    laele75 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I took "dopamax" for a year for my chronic migraines. Hated the stuff. Yes, I lost weight. Because I forgot to eat. I forgot everything. I sometimes forgot to take the vile medicine. It completely trashed my brain. The side effects were harrowing.

The aphasia and memory issues were the worst for me. I have fibromyalgia, so I deal with enough foggy brain without a medicine that is supposed to make me feel better turn me into a senile idiot.

Also, it made coffee, cola, and a lot of foods taste awful. So you'll stop eating them and that will increase the weight loss. The full blown side effects usually don't come until you take one of the higher doses like I was on. But everyone I know had some issues with word confusion and memory issues.
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options

How much did you weigh when you started this medication?

280. I started it 11 days ago when I started dropping weight.

Okay, this post made me highly skeptical, but i do see it as a possibility. If you have a lot of weight to lose, it usually comes off very quickly at first. When i started MFP i lost 21lbs in 3 weeks. I weighed 343lbs.

You're also taking medicine that would accelerate weight loss.

I wouldn't be to concerned about it.

^
  • Cakelady92
    Options
    Thanks everyone!
  • strongdetermined175
    Options
    Hi:

Don't worry it will stop. When i was first put on topomax for migraines I lost weight like crazy I was in heaven. then it stopped and I leveled off and then gained some and here I am trying to lose what I gained. The average weight loss with Topamax is 20 - 25lbs. If you are trying to lose weigh watch what you eat because all of sudden it will slow down especially if you aren't exercising. If I can answer any other questions let me know I have been taking topamax for 4 years at a fairly high dose for migraines.

strongdetermined :bigsmile:
  • Heather_Rider
    Heather_Rider Posts: 1,159 Member
    Options
    I am on topomax. I do not have the "dopey" side effects others talk about. I am on a dose of 200 mg twice a day. You do not "lose weight" on the medication eating like you are eating... you lose weight on the medication because it blocks the part of the brain that tells you to eat. it totally kills your appetite.

I would say if you literally were NOT eating, losing that much weight on the medication is possible.. but eating 2000 calories a day while on topomax.. the medication is not causing it, UNLESS you were typically eating 10,000+ calories per day and laying around all day, and you are now cutting back to 2000 calories a day and exercising. If that is the case, then yes, its possible.

The best thing for you to do is talk to your doctor. People who are heavier lose weight faster. When i started my weight loss "journey" sorry guys.. lack of better words... lol... I lost 7 pounds in my first 5 days, and i was on NO medication. My body was getting rid of water weight, i was cutting back the salt.. i was debloating, plus i was coming off of years worth of predisone.. which had bloated my body up. I lost almost half (17 pounds to be exact) of my weight in the first 13 days of dieting due to those reasons.

SO, yes, its possible its not the topomax.. its possible its you coming off your other meds.. its possible its water.. its possible its your diet... and eating better is causing your body to rid itself of the toxins? (are ya poopin more? the body can hold up to FIVE pounds of poop in the colin!!)

So again, call your doctor. The "topomax dope" will go away. You need to see if the reason you need these meds outweigh the side effects. In my case, they did. Luckily.. the "dope" feeling only lasted about 2 days and did NOT come back with each medication increase.

Good luck & i hope you get things worked out soon!!
  • chooselove
    chooselove Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I took "dopamax" for a year for my chronic migraines. Hated the stuff. Yes, I lost weight. Because I forgot to eat. I forgot everything. I sometimes forgot to take the vile medicine. It completely trashed my brain. The side effects were harrowing.

The aphasia and memory issues were the worst for me. I have fibromyalgia, so I deal with enough foggy brain without a medicine that is supposed to make me feel better turn me into a senile idiot.

I took 'dopamax' for some time as well. It gave me hallucinations and I couldn't talk right, I would always jumble my words. It made me so slow, dumb as a stump. Don't think I had any weight loss, i Wish!
  • LinFlemmer331
    LinFlemmer331 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    When I started MFP I lost 10 lbs in 7 days. I wasn't on medication, but I think it was water weight, because it took me two months to take off another 10 lbs. I no nothing about the medication, but I would call the doctors office and ask them what they think. Good luck!
  • Jemellc
    Jemellc Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    yes topamax makes you lose weight... my friend uses it lol! im like give me some!
  • Cakelady92
    Options
    up to 25 pounds today. used a body fat monitor and went from 43.5% a few weeks ago to 40.5% now. yay!
  • PosterGuy1
    PosterGuy1 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I weighed 310 and dropped to 290 in a matter of 2 weeks. It is perfectly normal to lose that much weight. Big people lose it faster. But if you're concerned, see your doctor.

I agree. I lost 20 pounds in three weeks.
  • KGray12385
    KGray12385 Posts: 11 Member
    Options

Also, it made coffee, cola, and a lot of foods taste awful. So you'll stop eating them and that will increase the weight loss. The full blown side effects usually don't come until you take one of the higher doses like I was on. But everyone I know had some issues with word confusion and memory issues.

I had a very similar experience. Even though I have been off it for a couple of years I am still "in a fog" a lot of the time. I used to use five dollar words, now I use two dollar words. It's not that I *forgot* anything, but my brain is just slow now. Just a word of caution! Also, I lost a little weight in the beginning too, but it came right back once my body got used to it.