Daily Sugar Limit

Options
Is it bad to go over your daily sugar allowance if its from natural sugars like fruit and eggs and bannanas?

Replies

• NikinCilla
    NikinCilla Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Thats a good question Ive been over too a few time with fruits???? Someone will know I havent been up here long.
  • Mara_
    Mara_ Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I'm always faaaaaaar over my sugar. I eat a lot of fruit, and also yoghurt has a lot of sugar apparently.

I don't see it as bad. If you see the sugar in these kind of products as bad, then you can almost see every food as bad.
  • dgljones
    dgljones Posts: 89
    Options
    It tracks sugar in broccoli and romaine lettuce as well. I can easily go over just from fruits and vegetables.
  • mrsnecincy
    mrsnecincy Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I've had the very same concern but I was told not to worry and that MFP sets sugar very low. I go over each day just with milk and fruit and I'm not giving either of those things up. I do however consume sugar in other things without worry but I'll look at this if I hit another plateau but I cut out bread,rice and pasta as they were stalling my weight loss so I have to have some vices!
  • jdad1
    jdad1 Posts: 1,899 Member
    Options
    Generally speaking sugar is not something that most people need to worry about. Regardless of where it comes from. However there are medical reasons that it could affect a person’s weight loss efforts. Even when coming from good sources like fruit and vegetables. It really depends on the person.
  • AmberleyAngel
    AmberleyAngel Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I, too, was concerned about this, especially as a recently diagnosed diabetic. I did some research and as near as I can tell, 40 grams of added sugar is the max for a diabetic. So I kind of ignore the overall total and do a count up of added sugars (bread/crackers etc) and ignore the fruit/veg counts. I don't add sugar to anything myself.

In some ways I think MFP should only track those added sugars and not natural sugars.
  • MissyK222
    MissyK222 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I have asked the same question on here and didnt really get an answer... im going to consult a friend who is a body builder/professional trainer. I eat alot of fruit too and I guess alot of fruit I didnt think had alot of sugar are loaded like watermelon...I think there is a difference between natural sugars and sugars that are added to foods.
  • jdhoward_101
    jdhoward_101 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I go over my sugar allowance almost every day, but i know this is because i am generally a little bit naughty and love energy drinks and doughnuts! Although every check i'm i've ever had with the doctor has said that my sugar levels are fine, and i keep below all the other daily allowances, (carbs, calories, etc) so i'm not too worried about it, although i am trying to keep it in mind.
  • linsey0689
    linsey0689 Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    I don't think so if you don't have a high risk for diabetes or have diabetes then I think it's no big deal
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    Unless you have medical reason to do so there is no need to watch your sugar.

Just watch your overall carb and calorie intake.
  • Kristina661
    Kristina661 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    well I only ask because sugar turns to fat and Im trying to lose weight..
  • Nutella91
    Nutella91 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    oh gosh my sugar is around 90 grams every day!! :(
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    Unless you have medical reason to do so there is no need to watch your sugar.

This.

You can actually lose weight by eating nothing but pure sugar if you are meeting your calorie goal for weight loss. Not saying that would be healthy by any stretch of the imagination, though.