Does Splenda = Sugar Cravings

Options
tlacox1
tlacox1 Posts: 373 Member
Hello. I have been using Splenda for several months now. I have noticed a significant increase in my craving for sweet things and am being told by friends it is the Splenda. Does anyone else believe their cravings may be caused by Splenda?

Replies

• Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Splenda itself doesn't cause sugar cravings but some people find that getting the sweet taste that it gives makes them want more sweet things. It isn't a chemical reaction, it's a brain thing.
  • MrDelts
    MrDelts Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Yes it does. Just saw a whole thing on Dr. Oz about artificial sweeteners. Your body is getting the sweetness without the actual sugar. Your brain is confused and wondering where the sugar is. This leads you to crave more and more sweets.
  • Cupcakehippiemommy
    Cupcakehippiemommy Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Yes it does! Now I use regular sugar BUT in moderation.
  • demipapa
    Options
    yes it does really not good for you. Avoid artificial really bad for your brain. When i was pregnanant the docs were telling me to make sure i do not eat artifical sugar like splenda as it can cause brain damage to unborn baby! gross ! if it can do that why have it at all.... if you have to use a sweetner use stevia sweetner from the plant as it is not a chemical. You can purchase it from health shops tastes the same and doesnt have the same affect on the body. I use it sometimes. :-)
  • Playingwithfire89
    Options
    Dude it does.......but i dont care. I go through like 20 packets a day and have lost a ton of weight doing it. Sweet things are amazing!
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    I use splenda and don't find myself craving more sugar.:indifferent:
  • tlacox1
    Options
    yes it does really not good for you. Avoid artificial really bad for your brain. When i was pregnanant the docs were telling me to make sure i do not eat artifical sugar like splenda as it can cause brain damage to unborn baby! gross ! if it can do that why have it at all.... if you have to use a sweetner use stevia sweetner from the plant as it is not a chemical. You can purchase it from health shops tastes the same and doesnt have the same affect on the body. I use it sometimes. :-)

I bought Truvia (Stevia) today so I will soon find out.
  • mgobluetx12
    mgobluetx12 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    When I eat real sugar, I crave more sugar. When I use Splenda, I don't feel the same way as I do when I eat sugar. It could be different for you, but I've lost 30lbs in 4 months and I use Splenda every single day.
  • tbruegg
    tbruegg Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I changed over to Stevia after reading all the negatives in Splenda. I will admit it was an adjustment but, I now prefer it......
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    Splenda has been around a lot longer and been studied extensively for safety. Stevia is relatively new. What comes out of the packet is far away from a plant. I'd say the word is still out. In any event, I use Splenda. It hasn't made me suffer from wild sugar cravings. I easily stay within my calorie goals, focus on nutritious foods and have lost 17% of my body weight.
  • tlacox1
    Options
    I wonder if my Hypoglycemia has anything to do with it????
  • FitGirl329
    FitGirl329 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Splenda has been around a lot longer and been studied extensively for safety. Stevia is relatively new. What comes out of the packet is far away from a plant. I'd say the word is still out. In any event, I use Splenda. It hasn't made me suffer from wild sugar cravings. I easily stay within my calorie goals, focus on nutritious foods and have lost 17% of my body weight.

This is backwards. Stevia, in it's pure form, has been used hundreds of years by people in South America. It's pure as it's a plant. I don't buy the major brands like Truvia and Stevia in the Raw, etc since they're owned by Coca Cola and also contain chemicals and may originate from plants in China. Stevia was not grown in China until recently? I buy brands that are pure Stevia and from South American plants.

Splenda hasn't been around long at all and was studied in rats to gain approval by the FDA. I know when I stopped using it and aspartame, my sugar cravings lessened. I gave up sugar for the most part (unless it's natural) and only use natural Stevia now and don't have cravings.
  • beedeevee
    beedeevee Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    To be honest, I'm not sure.

What I can say though is that within a week, it's not too hard to wean yourself off it and go unsweetened...really! I did it at the start of the month.

I've also made the move to Dr. Oz's love, Stevia, for those few things I need it for (i.e. 1/3 of a pack in chai tea).
  • Julicat6
    Julicat6 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    It doesn't for me, but I also alternate Stevia, Splenda and Splenda's new sibling Nectresse. I have always had the most evil sweet tooth and finally after years of having no control and craving more and more if I ate a little sugar. I am finally able to enjoy sweets in moderation..Only eating 3 Pumpkin Spice Kisses at a time/per day and having the bag still in the house after 2 weeks. I used to just polish it of in a couple of days. I usually make a satisfying substitute like almond milk pudding or high-protein muffins with stevia or splenda, so now when I have the real stuff it's truly satisfying.
  • imthejenjen
    imthejenjen Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Dont use splenda. Use Stevia! :)
  • tlacox1
    Options
    I have been using Truvia for two days now and so far, so good. No cravings whatsoever!
  • judsywudsy
    judsywudsy Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I have seen an increase in my sweet cravings lately since i started using Splenda, i use to use another cant remember the name it starts with N. But now i am going to switch from Stevia and see the difference. Thanks for this thread though would never have associated splenda with the sweet cravings.
  • angiechimpanzee
    angiechimpanzee Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    I don't get how people can say Splenda causes sugar cravings, but the recommend stevia. Wouldn't the sweetness of stevia make one want more sweet things too?
  • evangelgirl
    evangelgirl Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I concur. I recently realized that I was getting food cravings from splenda.