Healthy Sack Lunch & Brown Bag Dinner Ideas

Options
IamBorg
IamBorg Posts: 49 Member
When Spring Break is over, I'll be returning to school with a crazy schedule. I'll have to pack a lunch 4 days a week and also dinner 3 days a week.

In my past life, I would just skip one meal and eat the other out. Skipping meals does a number on my blood sugar though, and eating out isn't much better. So I decided to plan on preparing sack lunch/dinners each day.

I'm looking for low-cal ideas, and logistical ideas too (how to keep food hot/cold all day).

Thanks!

Replies

• Justjamie0418
    Justjamie0418 Posts: 1,065 Member
    Options
    I take left overs from the night before.. and I would use a cooler bag if I were you. When I worked 12 hour shifts I would have to pack enough of EVERYTHING for 12 hours and used a cooler bag from 31, it was big, but not bulky. light whole grain bread with lean lunch meat for sandwiches, yogurt, pretzels, microwave meals (one in a while bc of sodium) hummus and pita crisps, babybel or laughing cow cheese, string cheese, unsweetened apple sauce, fruit in a Tupperware bowl?
  • phylsyl
    phylsyl Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    i pack a lunch most days. It's better for me to plan my meals ahead, rather than try to figure out what I can eat and where, when I eat out. I make something on weekends that I can have during week for lunch and/or dinner. Rotisserie chicken from Costco, Sam's Club, grocery stores are a versatile choice, as it can be packed as is, made into a sandwich, chicken salad or casserole and when most of meat is eaten, roast the bones and make a pot of low-fat chicken vegetable soup! I bought a Rubbermaid divided storage container that has a large section for main dish, and 2 small sections for veggie and side dish. I heat in microwave for a couple minutes and I have a healthy meal. To keep packed food fresh, I freeze a bottle of water and pack it with my lunch. everything stays cold, plus I have a cold drink with my meal! (Unless you have that fear of freezing/microwaving in plastic. I don't and have managed to survive 63 years!)
  • sarahaldinger
    sarahaldinger Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I work 12 hour shifts at the hospital.
    I take quite a bit of food to work so I always have a healthy snack option.
    Today's packing looked like this:

Snacks:
    Baby carrots
    Apple
    Orange
    Buddy fruits fruit snacks

Supper:
    Homemade chili
    Crackers
    BIG bowl of vegetables
    Chia pudding

Before I go home so I don't binge when I get home:
    Chocolate protein shake

It's all about planning ahead. Make your sack of goodies the night before so you can just grab it. And always have an arsenal of healthy snacks. :)
    Should say I have a fridge where I work so I don't have to worry about that much.
  • theblackspot
    theblackspot Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I work 12 hour shifts too, and enjoy long hiking days. When I want a hot lunch but have no access to cooker/ microwave I use a wide neck food flask.
    You can put good lumpy stews, chili, curry etc, and eat it with nice bread, or wraps. Whatever takes your fancy. I then take something that will be fine at room temp' for a long period. Pitta salad, homous, olives, tinned sardines. Tasty is important too, chili sauce, tahini and garlic yoghurt sauce. Lemon or lime wedge to squeeze over it all to. Does mean having a bit of a cooking session over the weekend so you have stuff ready during the week