Need help!

Options
So, I'll be moving to Switzerland in a couple of months.
What are some foods to avoid that make you gain weight? I know the basics here in the US, but I don't know about any of the foods over there.

Replies

• JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    Whichever foods make you exceed your TDEE (total daily energy expenditure). There are no specific foods that will make you gain weight just by eating them, but all foods will make you gain weight if you eat too much of them. It can be easier to hit calorie goals (especially low goals) by eating less fat, as fat is higher in energy than carbs or protein. It's not generally a good idea to go too low on fat though, as your body needs some fats.

I've never been to Switzerland, but I've been to several other European countries, and I imagine that you will find a lot of the same foods there that you are familiar with.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    What do you eat in the US? Unless it's a lot of processed and packaged stuff, you're likely to be able to find something similar in Switzerland. Meat, vegetables, cheese, eggs etc. Pasta, rice, bread.

There will probably be a wider variety of cheeses than you're used to. And of course their chocolate is famous!

No girl scout cookies, though, sorry.
  • sandyswaytohappy
    Options
    Whichever foods make you exceed your TDEE (total daily energy expenditure). There are no specific foods that will make you gain weight just by eating them, but all foods will make you gain weight if you eat too much of them.

Agree! :) It's not the food itself, it's an excessive amount of it that makes you gain weight. I'm Swiss, and we have common foods like vegetables, fruit, bread, pasta, meat, dairy etc. here too like every country I'd say ;-)
    Of course Switzerland is known for good chocolate and cheese, but the calories are the same as in the US I guess, so I don't think you need to worry about what to eat when you arrive here, especially because it is still yourself that decides what you eat. But if you have any further questions concerning Switzerland feel free to message me. :)
  • flynnfinn
    flynnfinn Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    hey! this post slipped right by me! I'm originally from California and moved to Switzerland in 2007. what part of the US are you from?

having lived in Switzerland for the last 6 years, I can tell you that the Swiss love their bread! and they have every reason to because they do it so well! my weaknesses: zöpfli and the laugengipfelis...just trouble in the form of carbohydrates! aaaccckkk! and I'm sure you already know about the chocolate. my first few months here I lived on ovomaltine and eimalzin (you will quicly learn) but didn't gain weight because I lived in the city (bern) and walked everywhere. nowadays, I cannot get away with eating those things. we moved to murtensee and now I have a car so no more walking!

anyway, I'll send you a friend request! always excited to see fellow ex-pats!