My "runs" turn into walks when I think people are watching?

Options
I live, work and go to school in a fairly large city. Unless I run inside I'm going to be seen by someone and I know it's silly, but I always start walking when I hit a busy street or pass a neighborhood with lots of open windows or people outside. When cars pass me I pretend to tie my shoe or read a sign. I know they couldnt care less but i always think im running too slow for them, or my clothes dont flatter me when i run or that they're somehow annoyed by it. I'm spending more time walking and stalling than running now. Does anyone else have this problem?

Replies

• chaosqueen01
    chaosqueen01 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Hi Tenorninja1,

I know exactly what you mean! I start with a walk for the first 200m, because I feel funny when I assume that my neighbors are watching me. When I'm in the park I don't care, but a few years ago I always had the same feelings and thoughts like you and sometimes did the same (tying my shoelaces, walking instead of running etc.).
    Just ignore this inner wish. No one is watching you - and if, what's the problem? Let them watch you, let them think whatever they want and instead of caring just be proud of yourself. You are jogging! You are doing a lot for your health and weight, so yeah! :-)

It helped a lot, when I thought of it like that. Hope, you can do it, too!

Best wishes and always keep running, it's the best!
    chaosqueen
  • casscamp
    casscamp Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I also used to have this same issue. I was embarrassed of myself. But one day I realized that it was holding me back and that if i continued running rather than stopping to walk, that one day my embarrassed self would loose enough to no longer be embarrassed any longer. NOW, 50 lbs lighter i am so glad I kept running! You can do it!
  • sprintto50
    sprintto50 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    It is hard when you feel self conscious. Just push through it. Don't let those insecurities win. If others even notice you, they are admiring that you are out there busting your butt. I know that's how I feel when I see someone jogging who is overweight. I am thrilled for them that they are getting healthy. The more you push through the urge to hide, the easier it gets. Trust me from someone who used to prefer to run in the dark.
  • Gianna5587
    Gianna5587 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I do the opposite! I feel like people will judge me for needing to slow down and walk for a bit! They can see I'm in running gear and that I'm bright red in the face so surely I should be running, right?

When the traffic's heavy or there are people walking on the other side of the road I make sure I'm running my *kitten* off! Then have a little rest when nobody's looking.... :blushing:

Maybe try seeing it that way?!
  • NZRose7
    NZRose7 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    And I thought I was the only one with jogging in public insecurities! It got easier for me when I changed my thinking too, these people don't know me and chances are, wont ever see me again and if they do, i'll be smaller so who cares! And I'd rather get good results from my exercise rather than let 'other people/my thinking' hinder my progress. It's also alot easier for me now cause I live out in the country and sheep and cows don't really have the same effect on me as people do! lol
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Ha ha! I know the feeling. My trick is to wear a big pair of sunglasses (forget sports glasses, think Jackie O). On bad days I also wear a woolly hat - bit more of a disguise to hide behind. Not sure why but it makes me more confident hiding behind them (and keeps wind, snow and rain out of my eyes). I'm also more confident since buying proper running gear (running tights, waterproof jacket - makes me look like I know what I'm doing even if I don't!).

It was difficult when I started 10 months ago but in that time not once has anyone made a comment to me (I live in a city centre too, so it's always busy).
  • christinesadrina
    christinesadrina Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I feel just the same - and more, as I'm 63 and think that people are laughing at me for even trying to run at my age!

Aren't we just silly?
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    I'm the opposite. When my runs slow down into walks I speed up and do my "athlete's run" when people are watching.

For anyone embarrassed about walking, running and especially shifting between the two, wear a sports watch, glance at your wrist and nod knowingly before changing pace. It gives you runner's gravitas.
  • yamsteroo
    yamsteroo Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    Before I got really fat I used to go running at least once a week but I hated doing it in the day light so only did it during Winter months so it was dark when I got home from work. You can imagine, once I put 40lb on, i was even less inclined to go running! I get a bright red face when I exercise (always have done, even at school gym class) and I think that's a big part of it.

It's silly really when you think about it as I pass many runners on my drive to work and I can't say I give them a second thought never mind any judgement about whether they're running too fast/too slow/like Phoebe from Friends!

At the moment I'm cycling but one day I may be brave enough to tie on my running shoes again :)
  • Dragonnade
    Dragonnade Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    1 - you'll never see these people again.
    2 - if you do see people regularly and you're embarrassed, run away from them - then they can't judge you as you're gonna be long gone.

The faster you move, the faster you'll be outta that awkward situation that your brain is generating.
  • Xianpu27
    Xianpu27 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I do the opposite! I feel like people will judge me for needing to slow down and walk for a bit! They can see I'm in running gear and that I'm bright red in the face so surely I should be running, right?

When the traffic's heavy or there are people walking on the other side of the road I make sure I'm running my *kitten* off! Then have a little rest when nobody's looking.... :blushing:

Haha I'm exactly the same! I remember one of the first times I went running outside it absolutely killed me, it was a quiet morning so I just gave up and walked when no one was around... any time I heard a car I panicked and started running again LOL. I also find if other people are in the gym with me, next to me or not, I'll push myself a lot harder. Agreed that this might be a good way to see it!

Also it helps to wear sunglasses and have your headphones on with the music playing loud to block out things around you. (but still be mindful of the road of course)

Oh and whenever I see someone jogging/running I have only EVER thought "How awesome, good for you!". I will bet almost everyone would think the same!
  • hannah_ryann
    hannah_ryann Posts: 259 Member
    Options

^^This! I do this too. I run on a couple of secluded roads around where I live, and I was walking for a little bit Saturday after running 2 miles straight. I passed some neighbors doing yardwork and I picked up the pace and ran even though I wanted to die haha.
  • Gianna5587
    Gianna5587 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    For anyone embarrassed about walking, running and especially shifting between the two, wear a sports watch, glance at your wrist and nod knowingly before changing pace. It gives you runner's gravitas.

Ahhh yes.. That old chestnut. A lifesaver!
  • louiseshaw88
    louiseshaw88 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Just remeber those people are walking - you are a runner and are running !!! I bet you if you ran past them walking most of them will be thinking "I wish I could run" and will be envious of you !! Be proud of your efforts nobody will be thinking "oh look how she runs" or "look how she looks when she's running" and if people think that then pity them their so wrapped up in how they look they don't push themselves they play it safe and will achieve very little - you on the other hand will exceed in your efforts and will become a healthier more active person who you can be proud of !!! :)
  • twelfty
    twelfty Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    wear a thin buff over your face, just watch you're not mistaken for a robber lol
  • kennie2
    kennie2 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    I used to be the other way round, if i saw someone walking or something or thought people were watching me i would speed up so they didnt think of how unfit i was haha
  • garciabnm
    garciabnm Posts: 138
    Options
    i tend to run like phoebe on friends, so dont worry about it too much!!!!
  • AMHouse85
    AMHouse85 Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I have the same fears as you but I look when I see people running because I'm jealous. However, when I see people out running I always throw out a cheer for them! Go Run with your bad self, cause you are lapping so many people
  • travel_kat
    travel_kat Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Man I know that one.... I've found that the more you just go out their and do it without stopping the easier it is to foget what you think other people are thinking... I also wear a baseball cap down low so I can't actually see if anyone is looking at me (although it did kinda backfire when I ran into a low hanging tree branch - ouch - and that made people stop and look ;-0 )
  • SugarBoomBoom
    Options
    I am similar to OP. I find it hard to start running if someone is walking towards me, if someone is behind me, or if I have to run past someone. I am not so bad running past houses. But I do feel embarrassed running past cars that are stopped at traffic lights. Also I can't run if people are on the treadmills adjacent to mine.

I do find that dark glasses and a hat helps - but that would just look a bit weird in the gym :noway:

So for me it is about physical proximity, if people are 20 feet away, I can attempt to run, any closer then it just won't happen. Of this is all totally irrational! No one cares and if they do, they will only be in your life for 2 seconds.... besides why is the assumption that they will be judging us negatively - they could be silently cheering us on as we lumber by!