Wght training and soreness-first day

Options
So I am just a little sore from starting weight training yesterday. Do I need to take a rest day today or can I lift again today?

Thanks

Replies

• Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    I would. If I took a rest day every time I got sore from working out (whether lifting or anything else), I'd be on the couch five days out of the week!
  • sunset34
    sunset34 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    You need to do weights every second day , 2-3 times a week only ,,when starting on them.
    The day off lets the muscles recover,but you could walk on the day off etc.
  • danimalkeys
    danimalkeys Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't work the same muscles again today. It depends on how your routine is set up, if today's plan is to work something else, then do it. If you are doing a full body routine, then skip at least a day if not 2. Your muscles grow during your rest time and need time to repair.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I'd probably either rest or work a different set of muscles today.
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    I would. If I took a rest day every time I got sore from working out (whether lifting or anything else), I'd be on the couch five days out of the week!
  • stevenleagle
    stevenleagle Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    So I am just a little sore from starting weight training yesterday. Do I need to take a rest day today or can I lift again today?

Thanks

There is not enough information to properly answer your question imho.

However generally speaking, if you did some serious heavy weight training, then you should probably take a day off if not more. Muscles grow (or tone) best when they are recovering and your muscles take time doing this.

However if weight training consisted of some body weight strength/ light dumbells (as for example used in a circuit class), and you are only a "little sore" then perhaps you can train more today.

Personally I would err on the side of caution and skip at least a day.

Disclaimer: I am no body builder or a real expert. I aim to strength train (using heavy weights) twice a week with lots of rest in between. I find this works best for me but everyone is different.