What is the best protein bar?

Options
sagithia
sagithia Posts: 135 Member
I need to increase my protien and love the idea of an easy convienient bar. Any recommendations for one that is low on sugar and high on protien and very low on carbs? I have a busy job where I rarely get a lunch break and if I do it tends to be later in the day. Any ideas? Thanks guys!!!

Replies

• crking
    crking Posts: 175
    Options
    I like Balance Gold but they are a little high on sugar ..depending on which flavor you get.
  • lilchino4af
    lilchino4af Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    I like PowerBars and Clif Bars, but they're pretty high on carbs (40-45 g). Haven't tried any of the other brands.
  • ZebraHead
    ZebraHead Posts: 15,207 Member
    Options
    I like a Pure Protein High Protein Bar (pick a flavor) Eat with a full glass of water.

About 180 cals with 2g sugar and 19g protein (low carb, don't have number on me. :wink: )

But also high protein to calories:

Chicken (grilled skinless) on a salad
    Turkey (no processed meats)
    Low fat cottage cheese
    Fish (Talapia, salmon)
    EAS Advant Edge Carb control shakes
    Eggs (hard boiled on the go)
    Nuts and Seeds (watch the Calories though)
  • scull108
    scull108 Posts: 1
    Options
    try the peanut butter south beach diet protein bars. they have cinnamon raisin ones too..warm it up in the microwave and its like a cinnamon roll!
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    Think Thin - 230 calories, 7-8g fat, 20g protein, 0 sugar, 25g or so carbs. All natural, nothing artificial.
  • baggins706
    baggins706 Posts: 310
    Options
    The Atkins line!
  • sagithia
    sagithia Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys, I am ordering a box of each online and going to give them all a try to find the one that works for me!
  • Bthack
    Bthack Posts: 48
    Options
    mmm yes think thin is great!! i have them as breakfast for days when im too busy to eat at home. I've never tried a flavor i didnt like and they arent all chalky or powdery tasting. As as the other poster said, ALL natural. &very yummy!
  • vjjoseph
    vjjoseph Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I use the Atkins line also. I find them to be lower in sugar.
  • TropicalKitty
    TropicalKitty Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    I've gone through a ton of em. I used to do the South Beach ones but then the jerks took out 2g of protein! (They were 10g protein for 15g carbs, but now are 8g protein for the 15g carbs). Honestly, for the 190cals, I ended up deciding they really weren't worth it.

Now I'm using the PureProtein ones and am much more satisfied (duh with double the protein!). Here's the breakdown of the ones currently in rotation in my desk:

Chocolate Deluxe
    180cal
    Total Fat 4.5 (3g sat, 0 trans)
    Total Carb 17g (2g fiber, 2g sugar, 4g sugar alcohol)
    Protein 20g

I get em at Sam's there's like 18 in a case for like $14 or something. Not bad!
  • fitandhealthy
    fitandhealthy Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Bumpity Bump, Bump!

Wow! I was going to suggest my Myoplex bars that I eat everyday, but now see the ThinkThins! I'll check out the Pure Protein line too! Thanks! :)
  • Behavior_Modification
    Behavior_Modification Posts: 24,482 Member
    Options
    The Atkins line!

I 2nd this.
  • lucygurrola
    Options
    My favorite is called Power Crunch. It has 13 grams of protein. Hardly any sugar. and they are really good!
  • crystal081
    crystal081 Posts: 12
    Options
    I agree with the pure protein bars. I love the chocolate deluxe (the pb/chocolate is really good too) , and it's low on sugar (although does have sugar alcohols) and totally cures my chocolate cravings. I also like the carb advant chocolate shake drink in rich dark chocolate. I'll usually have one of those after going to the gym.

I've heard really good things about Trader Joe's think thin bars although i haven't tried them yet.
  • sweetoblivion314
    Options
    I recommend Promax. 20g of protein and tons of vitamins and minerals. One of the trainers at my gym helped me pick it out when i need some food before a workout. Definitely the most nutrition dense bar that i have seen.
  • mshay05
    mshay05 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Think Thin - 230 calories, 7-8g fat, 20g protein, 0 sugar, 25g or so carbs. All natural, nothing artificial.

I just found these!!!! So good!! My fav by far!
  • jljohnson
    jljohnson Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    I really like the Pure Protein too. IMO, the peanut butter is the best flavor.
  • Ms_Natalie
    Ms_Natalie Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    How about protein bars that are available in the UK??

Most of the names above don't seem to be ringing any bells :flowerforyou:
  • jljohnson
    jljohnson Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    I had a thread not too long ago about this too... here's the link: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/97284-protein-bars-have-gotten-tastier
  • PLUMSGRL
    PLUMSGRL Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options
    BUMP!