Anyone taking Zumba classes?

Options
How is everyone entering a Zumba class into MFP? I've used Aerobics, general and Aerobics, high impact depending on the class/instructor I took it with. Just curious as to what would be the best option. Anyone have any insight????

Replies

• mlogantra76
    mlogantra76 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I use the same as you. And vary it depending on the instructor. I still think its a little high in terms of calories burned(for me) so I don't eat back all of them.
  • cy10950
    cy10950 Posts: 5
    Options
    i know i have it in my exercises after doing some searching on google -- 495 calories for 60 minutes :)
  • Mokosh
    Mokosh Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I put in Dancing, general, just so I don't overestimate my exercise calories. But that is a good question.
  • Allie_71
    Allie_71 Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options
    It depends on your level of activity during the class. I teach a pretty high energy Zumba class but I wouldn't enter it as high impact aerobics. I usually save that for a crazy crossfit class or something. I'd either get a HRM for accurate readings or I'd enter it under general aerobics or dance.
  • DDsMrs
    DDsMrs Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    http://caloriesburnedhq.com/zumba-calories-burned/

Here's a helpful website to help you count your calorie burn. :-)
  • DDsMrs
    DDsMrs Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    An HRM is the most accurate, though. I have one and I love it!
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    I have a HRM and burn about 350 calories in 50 minutes of Zumba. A google search would have you burning more. It depends on your weight and your fitness level of course.
  • DeMarraDontStop
    DeMarraDontStop Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I added my own Zumba exercise and put in the calories burned based on my HRM... Believe me depending on my energy that day the calories burned vary...
  • RumpusP
    RumpusP Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I used one of those Zumba calorie calculators you find online a couple places, then got a HRM to track better as I didn't trust them all that well... turned out they matched up. So when I've lost or forgotten to put on my HRM I just use one of those or use an old entry total from before that is still in my list.

If you've no HRM I'd suggest using one of the calculators as a general guide. Nothing's going to be perfect, but for me they read the same as my HRMs that I had/have did.
  • ploome
    ploome Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I use a HRM, I'd say I average out around 480 cals for a class, unless I'm really going for it and then it's 550+.

I've created 'zumba' in my personal exercises, I track the calories shown on my HRM after each class.
  • AmberLee2012
    Options
    LOVE Zumba!

Someone on MFP gave me this link so it's what I use: http://caloriesburnedhq.com/zumba-calories-burned/
  • rc322
    rc322 Posts: 22
    Options
    I am a zumba instructor and I love it! I weigh 133 and burned about 500-600 in an hour. I use a heart rate monitor ;)
  • nessagrace22
    nessagrace22 Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    I added my own Zumba exercise and put in the calories burned based on my HRM... Believe me depending on my energy that day the calories burned vary...

^^ Totally agree with this. I use a HRM and my results can vary anywhere between 400 - 600 cals an hour. Depends on the instructor, time of day, the music, whether someone has wound me up that day etc
  • meeka472
    meeka472 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I take zumba, but I use the calorie burn from my bodymedia which is always lower than the online calculators. In general I burn about 450 calories per 60 minutes of zumba and that is after being soaked in sweat and going high intensity the entire class.
  • innerthinneria
    Options
    Zumba is my exercise of choice and since I have gotten better at it, I dance at the highest intensity level. According to my weight/height, at that level, I am burning at least 700 calories in 60 mins. If i HAVE to go to the other instructor I log about 500 because she stops and talks between tracks (which drives me BONKERS!!)!!! GOOD LUCK!
  • mariposa224
    mariposa224 Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options
    I also use an HRM to get a fairly accurate burn... But I also agree with another poster who said her burn varies depending on how much she put into it. Sometimes I'll burn around 450 in an hour of Zumba, other times it's been a little over 600. And, even if I'm going high energy the whole time, it depends on the challenge of the songs chosen by the instructor as well.
  • kaylemartin
    kaylemartin Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Before buying a HRM I used http://caloriesburnedhq.com/zumba-calories-burned/

Since invest in the HRM I have noted that this calculator was pretty acurate
  • coz1979
    coz1979 Posts: 120
    Options
    I do zumba great kcal burner I also do Bokwa :)
  • innerthinneria
    Options
    P.s. I also alternate using zumba sticks for extra workout in my arms (they def add a punch because I am always sore the day after using them) and sometimes use ankle weights.
  • Inkchick
    Inkchick Posts: 31
    Options
    I use a BodyMedia Fit LINK armband and currently burn between 485 to 510 in a 50 minute class. I love my Zumba!