Meal Ideas - Chicken (Help Please!)

Options
Posting this on the off chance anyone has some healthy meal ideas using chicken as the main ingredient. I tend to make meals the night before and take them along to work and have my main meal of the day at lunch time, but I am running out of ideas and feel like I am eating the same things week in week out.

Anyone have any good suggestions? Would be much appreciated :)

Replies

• RonandDi
    RonandDi Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    We've been eating a lot of chicken and I came across this...on here I think. It's pretty good.

http://www.skinnytaste.com/2012/04/cheesy-jalapeno-popper-baked-stuffed.html
  • sarahf3092
    sarahf3092 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Thanks, that looks yummy will try it out!
  • hope516
    hope516 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    I agree with skinnytaste.

My addiction right now is baking a peice of chicken and then smothering it in avacado, lime juice, and cilantro. Its delish :tongue:
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    Supplies needed:

Chicken breasts (same size/weight)
    lemons - 2-4
    olive oil
    cast iron skillet
    stove & oven
    large ziploc bag

place chicken breasts in bag
    pour lemon juice & some lemon zest in the bag, add some lemon wedges (I <3 lemon so it's a lot for me)
    Let marinate for awhile - 4 hours or more is best.

Preheat oven to 350F or so
    In cast iron skillet, sear both sides of the chicken - if you want, add thin lemon slices on top
    Finish in the oven - 15 minutes or so til it's done.

Ta-da!

It'll only be a few more calories than a plain chicken breast...
  • PandaBandit19
    Options
    I recently cooked chicken with bell peppers and onion cooked in broth and balsamic vinegar. I think it's on myrecipe.com.
  • sarahf3092
    Options
    I agree with skinnytaste.

My addiction right now is baking a peice of chicken and then smothering it in avacado, lime juice, and cilantro. Its delish :tongue:

This sounds like a really tasty idea - will definately try this out!
  • sarahf3092
    Options
    Supplies needed:

Chicken breasts (same size/weight)
    lemons - 2-4
    olive oil
    cast iron skillet
    stove & oven
    large ziploc bag

place chicken breasts in bag
    pour lemon juice & some lemon zest in the bag, add some lemon wedges (I <3 lemon so it's a lot for me)
    Let marinate for awhile - 4 hours or more is best.

Preheat oven to 350F or so
    In cast iron skillet, sear both sides of the chicken - if you want, add thin lemon slices on top
    Finish in the oven - 15 minutes or so til it's done.

Ta-da!

It'll only be a few more calories than a plain chicken breast...

Sounds tasty and good on calories also. Do you just eat this on its own or with potatoes etc?
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    Chicken chili with white beans and green chile sauce!
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    Snip

Sounds tasty and good on calories also. Do you just eat this on its own or with potatoes etc?

I rarely eat potatoes lol
    Last night I paired it with homemade asparagus risotto, I've had it with green beans, broccoli.
    I don't think I'd eat it with sweet potatoes or mashed potatoes but roasted potatoes, roasted or steamed beans, asparagus, broccoli.

eta: spelling error
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Chicken cordon bleu. Use a thin chicken breast, then roll a piece of ham and a piece up swiis cheese up in it and bake. The Kraft meal creations things that are breading and cheese that you coat your chiken in might be a good idea, too. I've used the BBQ one, and it was quite tasty.
  • sarahf3092
    Options
    Sounds tasty, thanks for all the advice!
  • baileybiddles
    baileybiddles Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Currently my favorite chicken recipe and I eat it multiple times a week. MMM! This is for a single serving. Double or triple as you wish.

2 chicken breast tenders (I buy the tenders because they're easier to cut up. If you buy breasts, it's about half a breast.)
    1 cup stir fry vegetables (I use a mix that only has bell peppers and onions.)
    1/4 cup shredded mexican cheese
    2 tbsp salsa
    Cumin, garlic salt and chili powder - just a little dash of each

Just cut the chicken into small chunks, throw them in a pan with a little non stick olive oil spray and cook them through. Add the peppers and onions in and heat them through as well. Add in your cumin, garlic salt and chili powder, as much as you prefer, stir and take the pan off the heat. Put it all onto your plate, top it with the cheese and salsa, and enjoy it!

This takes about 10 minutes total to prepare before it's ready to eat. Super fast, very delicious. Basically a quesadilla without the extra calories from a tortilla!
  • whitebear54
    whitebear54 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Ray's Mandarin Chicken Salad

Start with whatever salad ingredients you like -- mine tend towards Romaine lettuce, celery, cucumber, black olives, garbanzos and tomato. I use lemon juice instead of dressing, which also keeps it from browning.

Add almond slivers, mandarin oranges, and diced chicken breast. Quick, tasty and surprisingly filling.
  • 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member
    Options
    I bake it with green chile or poblano peppers or chipotle peppers or or grilled with webers kikn chikn spice or endless variation ....
  • FUELERDUDE
    FUELERDUDE Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Honey sesame chicken:

3 boneless skinless chicken breast
    1tbs sesame seeds
    1/4 cup honey
    1/2 cup water

Mix honey and water together and place in a pan, set heat to medium.
    Add chicken
    Turn over and keep a close eye on it as the honey can caramalize and burn quickly.
    If you desire, add the sesame seeds to the chicken in the beginning or toast them in a seperate pan and add to the chicken when done.

It's quick, easy, and delicious. I often serve it with a stir fry or fajita mix for veggies and brown rice or other source of whole grain.
  • palmerar
    palmerar Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Yesterday I made in the slow cooker, 2 frozen chicken breasts, salsa, hot sauce, bell peppers, chicken broth, 2 tbsp cream cheese, 1/2 c. shredded cheddar cheese, add chili powder, cumin and black pepper to taste. It was pretty tasty and I'm sure you could leave the cheese out if you wanted to. It's approximately 330 cals as is.

Edit: 330 cals for half of the recipe (per serving)
  • whitebear54
    whitebear54 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Ray's Chicken Rice

Ingredients: 1 package Rice a Roni Herb and Butter Rice
    Butter (per package directions)
    2 Chicken Thighs

I start by boiling two chicken thighs, though breast meat would work too, for 20-30 minutes. I remove the skin and dice the thigh meat while I prepare the Rice a Roni per package directions, adding the chicken during the last stage. This makes enough for 3-4 meals.
  • sarahf3092
    Options
    wow some of these ideas are great, thanks everyone for your input. Going to write these all down and have some fun cooking new dishes over the next few weeks :)
  • sarahf3092
    Options
    Honey sesame chicken:

It's quick, easy, and delicious. I often serve it with a stir fry or fajita mix for veggies and brown rice or other source of whole grain.

This sounds lovely. Will try with stir fry veg I think!
  • littlebudgie
    littlebudgie Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I like my chicken with pumpkin! Here's something close to what I make (my method is very "hm, what's in the fridge", so not useful for sharing online :laugh: ): http://paleomg.com/pumpkin-cashew-coconut-curry-coconut-rice/