Even family can be dense

Options
ninerbuff
ninerbuff Posts: 48,535 Member
You would think that if someone in your family was actually a professional trainer(who doesn't push any advice), they would have some actual credibility when it comes to staying fit and how to help people lose weight.
So a relative asked me about a certain diet and what I thought about it. I gave my opinion backed by actual facts and they just said "uh huh". Regardless though, they went ahead and did the diet anyway. The "woo hoo's" lasted for about a month. Weight was lost (about 10lbs), but in less than 1.5 months regained again.
Then this relative went on to say that after reading more about the diet that it was a scam and that she just paid money for nothing. They are now looking for the next best diet to try to lose weight.:huh:
Yes, I've actually written out a plan on how to lose weight safely and for the long term, but I come to the conclusion that even family can be dense when it comes to weight loss.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
IDEA Fitness member
Kickboxing Certified Instructor
Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Replies

• mrphil86
    mrphil86 Posts: 2,382 Member
    Options
    People always want the easy way out.

Doesn't matter who it is.

But some people realize that the easy way is not always the best way.
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    "We will do anything to lose weight! Except diet and exercise." -Tracy Smith
  • Lone_Wolf70
    Lone_Wolf70 Posts: 2,820 Member
    Options
    i would argue this. I think EVERY diet/nutrition plan works if you stick with it. That said, your advice was probably sound in that it was unsustainable.

Also, families are weird. Visiting family is like milk...it goes bad in 3 days.
  • diodelcibo
    diodelcibo Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    Average human density 1050kg/m3
  • mlclarke22
    mlclarke22 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    some people just don't want to listen....I have been losing for 6 months and some of my family just doesnt get it...they dont understand why I workout or eat the way I do..and when i try and explain it they just nod their heads...whatever...ill be healthy and they won't!!
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    It's funny you mention that Brett. There are lots of mothers out there that will do practically everything they can possible to ensure the safety of their kids, SO, parents etc., but when it comes to crazy and even dangerous diets to lose just 5lbs-10lbs, that caution is tossed aside.

IDEA Fitness member
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    i would argue this. I think EVERY diet/nutrition plan works if you stick with it. That said, your advice was probably sound in that it was unsustainable.

Also, families are weird. Visiting family is like milk...it goes bad in 3 days.
    That's debatable. Some of the more extreme ones (HCG diet plan IE.) work temporarily and would discontinue to work regardless of how long one stuck to it.
    But I get where you're coming from.

IDEA Fitness member
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    Meh, I gave up on giving professional advice to my family. I'm the youngest, so no matter my experience and degrees, they don't listen.
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    I've gotten a bit of that, though from my BF's family. His sister and mother are forever trying out ridiculous pills and fads (once a weight loss patch. I kid you not.) I was making an MFP post, got asked what this was, explained. She asked me how much weight I'd lost and how I did it. She heard it, said "Oh. Calorie counting." and then went on reading her ACE diet pill package.

Bit my tongue so hard I thought it was gonna bleed.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Your advice was probably boring. :laugh:

My in-laws are constantly looking for the next fad. When they asked what I was doing and I told them they looked downright disappointed.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    We humans have a need to believe there is some secret trick. The regular common sense stuff just doesn't seem to make sense to us. lol
  • Jennikitten
    Jennikitten Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Sounds like they are looking for a quick and easy way round but what they don't realise is that if they take these options there is no way the weight will stay off. There is no miracle cure for being overweight, if there was everyone would know about it by now!
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    Diet? :noway:

Success= Lifestyle= food knowledge & exercise. :happy:

Listening to expert advice and integrating into my lifestyle worked. Does my family follow my advice? Not quite :yawn:
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    Depending on this female relative's age - she would have been beat over the head with "you have to starve to lose weight" and "here's the latest thing that will work". It's a hard mindset to give up - but extremely enpowering when you finally do. I lived it for years. A few weeks of Yipppeee! Always followed by the let down of "oh crap - the weight is back and brought friends".

Eating appropriately, lifting heavy, losing slowly. Paradise. :wink:
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options

Seriously.

A co-worker asked me for some advice, and before I even opened my mouth she said "Please don't tell me to exercise. I hate sweating and being out of breath."
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options
    Maybe you should show them your signature...
  • InnerConflict
    InnerConflict Posts: 1,592 Member
    Options

Seriously.

A co-worker asked me for some advice, and before I even opened my mouth she said "Please don't tell me to exercise. I hate sweating and being out of breath."

No sex for her husband or BF. :laugh:
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options
    I've been getting this a lot lately. People ask how I've been losing weight (I am down 84lbs since last summer) and they are puzzled (and often outright disbelieving) when I say it's just sensible eating and exercise. So then they start prodding me for more info, as if those two things can't POSSIBLY be enough. "Are you on Visalus?" "Did you try such and such pill/diet/program?" "Are you sure there's nothing wrong with you?" :ohwell:
  • chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    I have a sister doing the HCG diet for the second time and now has my mom convinced to try it. My mom thinks I should do it too. Frustrating thing is, both of them have lost decent weight in the past by calorie counting.
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    People only hear what they want.
    It doesn't matter what the subject matter is.