Excersising help...PLEASE!

Options
I am currently exercising about 6 times a week for at least 45 minutes....is this too much? I am so scared to hit a plateau. I usually do about 20-45 minutes aerobic and 20-30 minutes on the elliptical. What would you suggest. I have about 60-70 more lbs to go..I have lost 25 since January. Thanks!
****i'm doing the aerobics with wrist weights...is that considered strenght training?***

Replies

• joehendrickson
    Options
    I would add some weight exercises. It'll help burn calories even after you're done.
  • shoppingdiva2011
    shoppingdiva2011 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    well I am getting back on track this week. I was really sick last week with a stomach but. Are you watching your calories, sodium and getting plenty of water. Sometimes I feel like it does not matter how much you exercise you really gotta watch the diet. Good luck.
  • fiferize
    fiferize Posts: 141
    Options
    I'd say you are doing fine! don't change a thing. Keep up the good work and a little apple cider vingar daily wouldn't hurt to help flush through the plateaus! Good luck to you!
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    That sounds good, very dedicated of you.

Plateaus happen, know this and you won't worry so much. They are no fun at all but so long as you keep at it you'll break through.

And whenever you're ready.. weight training is calling your name and you don't even know it yet.
  • ntdrive
    ntdrive Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I would add some weight exercises. It'll help burn calories even after you're done.

that
  • audienceofone
    audienceofone Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Insanity is 6 days a week, so it can definitely be done. :)
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    Definitely add strength training. I would say 45 min of cardio six times a week with no strength interspersed is too much.
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    What they all said.
    As far as total time? Everyone is different. Listen to your body. It will let you know when something isn't right.
  • tarac98
    tarac98 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I am doing the aerobics with wrist weights...is that considered strength training???
  • juliekins64
    juliekins64 Posts: 125 Member
    Options

that

THIS! Switch one or two of your cardio days with a 45 min routine and watch the transformation.
    Cardio to look good in clothes, lifting to look good naked amirte :-)
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    I am doing the aerobics with wrist weights...is that considered strength training???

No, and actually that can damage your joints.
  • GJRicketts
    GJRicketts Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Good advice! Building some good lean muscle will build your own natural calorie burners for you. You don't have to become a bodybuilder, just work out with low to medium weights at about 20 - 25 reps per set of exercise and the muscle you build will churn through those calories while they rest, repair and recover.

Don't be scared of building some muscle - you won't look like Arnie unless you train for it.

Low weights, high reps, three sets of exercise minimum will build lean, endurance based, calorie hungry muscle.

Medium weight, medium weight three sets average will build slightly larger, more strenght based muscle with good endurance,

High weight, low reps and no more than two sets per exercise will create larger "bodybuilders" muscle. low on endurance, high on explosive strength.

Take your pick and go for it! Best of luck.