5K Foam Fest

Options
Has anyone participated in the 5K Foam Fest? I am thinking about registering for the New England one in June. It seems like a lot of fun. I have never participated in a 5K or any type of obstacle course, so I have the fear that I will be the last one to complete it, but I think I am just going to suck it up and do it!

http://5kfoamfest.com/

Replies

• Dgold13
    Dgold13 Posts: 14
    Options
    Do it! some one has to be last, it most likeley won't be you. I've never done a foam fest but I have done a bunch of mud runs and always have a good time. I'm doing the foam fest in NJ in June.
    Have fun, thats what there all about.
  • Dark_Roast
    Dark_Roast Posts: 17,689 Member
    Options
    If you have never run a 5k before, I would suggest doing one with just running first. Good luck, and I hope you have a blast!
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    I've been wanting to do one for a while... ours is actually in a park that I love to go to anyway (so I may go and watch)... but I don't have the upper body strength anymore to do it. It is one of my NSV goals though.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    I agree with doing a normal 5k first if you want to do running. That one looks like it would be a whole lot of fun, more of going with a team.
  • xxnellie146xx
    xxnellie146xx Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    If you have never run a 5k before, I would suggest doing one with just running first. Good luck, and I hope you have a blast!

I haven't done one officially, but right now I am able to run 2.5 miles without dying so I think I will be okay since it's 100+ days away.
  • SteppyRohr
    SteppyRohr Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I've done several 5Ks. The Color Run was my first "themed" run. Registered to do the 5K Foam Fest/Mud Run in Columbus, OH this June and can't wait.
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    It looks like a real fun race. It doesn't seem to be as "grueling" as some other 5K mud runs. It looks like it's mostly just a good time. I'm signed up to run it in June with my little girl. Very much looking forward to it.
  • crazyellybean
    crazyellybean Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    I am registered for the 5K Foam Fest June 1st here in Chicago, and am super excited!!

Last year I did the Indiana Warrior Dash, and although I was dead set that I was going to be last, I went in with the attitude to just finish, I didn't care how long it took me, and I didn't care how many people passed me, I was going to try every obstacle (even if I didn't succeed) and I was going to finish!

It was rather amazing! There was so many inspirational people on the trail, high fiving you, telling you to keep going, even the really dedicated ones that were there to win,would give you a shout out.. It was great!

best part, I wasn't last!! ... At 2 hours and 13 minutes, I was #888 of 893 in the women's division, and overall I was #5156 of 5179! So I wasn't last, and that was a plus after the race was over!

and you bet your bottom, you will see me back this year, trying to beat my 2012 time!
  • xxnellie146xx
    Options
    It does look like a lot of fun! I am going to sign up. I am trying to get other people to join too!
  • xxnellie146xx
    Options
    I am registered for the 5K Foam Fest June 1st here in Chicago, and am super excited!!

Last year I did the Indiana Warrior Dash, and although I was dead set that I was going to be last, I went in with the attitude to just finish, I didn't care how long it took me, and I didn't care how many people passed me, I was going to try every obstacle (even if I didn't succeed) and I was going to finish!

It was rather amazing! There was so many inspirational people on the trail, high fiving you, telling you to keep going, even the really dedicated ones that were there to win,would give you a shout out.. It was great!

best part, I wasn't last!! ... At 2 hours and 13 minutes, I was #888 of 893 in the women's division, and overall I was #5156 of 5179! So I wasn't last, and that was a plus after the race was over!

and you bet your bottom, you will see me back this year, trying to beat my 2012 time!

That's awesome!
  • _Witsy_
    _Witsy_ Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    Ooooh this looks like fun...the New England location is just about 40 mins from me... hmm.
  • terra32903
    terra32903 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I did this in February here in Florida. For me, the hardest part was the off-road running. I've been running 5Ks (not at a great time but completing them) on the pavement. Running off-road was a whole different beast though. So, for my next one that is what I am focused on. The race itself was awesome and a great morale booster.
  • Dark_Roast
    Dark_Roast Posts: 17,689 Member
    Options
    I did this in February here in Florida. For me, the hardest part was the off-road running. I've been running 5Ks (not at a great time but completing them) on the pavement. Running off-road was a whole different beast though. So, for my next one that is what I am focused on. The race itself was awesome and a great morale booster.

Yes, this exactly. My first 5k was on grass (I didn't know it when I signed up) and it was MUCH harder than on pavement.

If you can run 2.5 miles now and you have 3 months until race day, you will be fine. More than fine, actually, you will rock it!
  • _SusieQ_
    _SusieQ_ Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options

I'm sorry, I have to disagree, depending on OPs goals. If the goal is to actually be able to run a 5K, then yes, what they said. But if you just want to know about obstacles races, etc, then don't worry about if you can run or not. Pick one, do it for fun, learn your strengths and weaknesses. I did the Warrior Dash at almost my highest weight ever, barely any training and I walked the whole thing. I learned that 1) I can't run, but I'm working on that but 2) I have some pretty amazing strength for a fat girl. I was able to complete about 80% of the obstacles and was quite proud of that at the time. Of course my goal for the next one is to totally kick *kitten*, but that first one was just for fun. And it was!
  • crazyellybean
    crazyellybean Posts: 999 Member
    Options

Sorry I disagree, weather you run a 5K straight through or do an obstacle course straight through it's the same distance, so it's not going to matter if you have done a 5K before... the difference is your endurance and ability to perform upper body strength, being able to pull yourself through the mud, up the walls, etc.
  • 1Fizzle
    1Fizzle Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    They had one of these in Houston, and it is more fun based than worrying about completing in a certain time. People had teams, and costumes and most just stayed at the foam stations rolling around for a while..LOL. Glad you are deciding to do it..you will enjoy the race!
  • KayakAngel
    KayakAngel Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    I'm doing the Foam Fest in Nashville in early May - not my first 5K, but it will be my first obstacle race. I think it sounds like a great first 5K for someone because you won't be too worried about your time, just having fun and finishing. They had me at foamy slip-and-slides. :)
  • terra32903
    terra32903 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    FYI...5K Foam Fest is NOT a timed race. Good thing...as we stood in line for the slide for almost an hour!
  • xxnellie146xx
    Options
    FYI...5K Foam Fest is NOT a timed race. Good thing...as we stood in line for the slide for almost an hour!

OMG :huh: Why so long? Shouldn't people be continually moving?
  • email4krissa
    email4krissa Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I did the 5kfoamfest here in Portland, Or last summer. I have never done any 5k's at all before this. I had so much fun that I am registering again this year. I could not recommend this more!!!