Quad builders?? No lunges! Help please.

Options
kspeach
kspeach Posts: 179 Member
I am trying to build my quads up, but at the moment, my knees are hurting during lunges and squats.

Can someone recommend an exercise that doesn't require lunging (or bending while standing) to help build up these muscles around my knees?

They actually don't hurt so much when I am on the treadmill (small incline) or biking.

Thanks!! :)

Replies

• balance9
    balance9 Posts: 160
    Options
    Biking is outstanding...keep that up. I had the same trouble with my knees, and biking helped tremendously. Gradually increase resistance.

You might try some of the non-impact isometric-type of routines such as the Bar Method (Burr Leonard...she has DVDs and studios throughout the country). Also, slow yoga practices such as Hatha where you are holding the poses for a long time, but not moving back and forth in lunge position. If you've never practiced yoga, a studio is best for instruction, but something like AM Yoga for your Week with Rodney Yee is a great beginner yoga DVD, with 5 20-minute sessions.

Isometric contractions of only 6 seconds build amazing strength (think wall squats where you hold the position for up to 1 minute, instead of traditional squats). The only drawback is you are not moving the muscle through the complete range of motion, but you will be able to do that again as you build strength.

Lastly, you might be able to do leg extensions with light weights, if you have access to a gym or home equipment, or strap on some ankle weights, sit in a chair, and do them (but you will probably quickly outgrow the light ankle weights).
  • summersk
    summersk Posts: 59
    Options
    bump
  • LatLon
    LatLon Posts: 5
    Options
    Biking is outstanding...keep that up. I had the same trouble with my knees, and biking helped tremendously. Gradually increase resistance.

You might try some of the non-impact isometric-type of routines such as the Bar Method (Burr Leonard...she has DVDs and studios throughout the country). Also, slow yoga practices such as Hatha where you are holding the poses for a long time, but not moving back and forth in lunge position. If you've never practiced yoga, a studio is best for instruction, but something like AM Yoga for your Week with Rodney Yee is a great beginner yoga DVD, with 5 20-minute sessions.

Isometric contractions of only 6 seconds build amazing strength (think wall squats where you hold the position for up to 1 minute, instead of traditional squats). The only drawback is you are not moving the muscle through the complete range of motion, but you will be able to do that again as you build strength.
    great advice.
  • acstein
    acstein Posts: 55
    Options
    I had a sprained knee and hiking actually helped rebuild the muscles around my knees. You can get that same concept of a treadmill or elliptical trainer. Also, the gym I go to has a wonderful machine called the AMT from Precor. It's similar to the gazelle. I work harder, with little to no impact. I feel more worked after 10 mins on the AMT than 40 mins on the elliptical (10 incline 5 resistance). I did mess around with the incline and resistance on the elliptical and found that a 6 incline and 10, 11, or 12 resistance gave me the same feeling of work as the AMT.

You may also want to try a knee brace of some sort. Some are created specifically for the purpose of stability so you can build the muscle and tendon strength around it. Also, sometimes you need to just rest. Focus on arms for a few days to give your legs a break. I hope you find a solution and are able to reach your goals!! Good luck!!
  • kspeach
    Options
    Thanks for the help!

I did get a knee brace, but it seemed like it made my OTHER knee hurt, by overcompensating for the one in the brace.

It could be my form is bad too...not sure.
  • TammySimon
    Options
    Have you tried a elliptical? Great workout for your Quads and the rest of your lower body. It also works your upper body, very low impact. It a gliding motion, no pounding. Takes a little getting use to. Once you build up your stamana it awesome!
  • kspeach
    Options
    Have you tried a elliptical? Great workout for your Quads and the rest of your lower body. It also works your upper body, very low impact. It a gliding motion, no pounding. Takes a little getting use to. Once you build up your stamana it awesome!

I am working on the elliptical. I was up to 30 min on it a few years ago! :)

Although the 'no pounding'.... ;) (warning, snippy comment ahead) there is a lady I've seen on the elliptical that seems to MAKE it a hard impact workout. She flails all over the place and seems to 'fight' the machine instead of working with it. It hurts just to watch her!!
  • TammySimon
    Options
    Ha, I have seen a few people abuse that machine also, its kind of akward at first. Good luck to ya!
  • danazsweet
    danazsweet Posts: 52
    Options
    Reumbant bike strengthened my quads without lunges and didn't hurt my knees which I also have a problem with. Funny though, once my quads strengthened up, my knee pain lessened greatly.