Ankle sore, near achilles tendon

Options
msarro
msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
Alrighty, I'm not SUPER concerned about this. However lately my left ankle has been bothering me a bit. I can walk/run on it but it hurts a bit when my foot strikes the ground. I went for a 5k on it last night and it actually started feeling a bit better about half way through the run. After that I made sure to stretch my calves for awhile. Today it is starting to feel even better. Just curious if anyone has ever had this. It basically was a lot of tightness, and would only hurt when I was extending the tendon (like when I strike the ground). Seemed like it started happening AFTER my last run last week, so could it just be tightening up from not getting used?

Replies

• Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    Since switching from heel striking to forefoot striking while running I had this issue. My calves were really sore and tight and I went out for a run without it and really hurt my achilles tendon. Stretch and if the pain doesn't go away try resting for a bit. I have ended up taking 2 weeks off from running since I didn't listen to early warning signs and made it worse.

Be careful and happy running.
  • bethelmer
    bethelmer Posts: 9
    Options
    this can also be plantar fasciatis. (sp) Check with your doctor. If the pain starts getting better after use, it's a dead giveaway. Ice helps, and your doctor can give you exercises to help.
  • brianjames84
    Options
    I've had some issue with this as well try rolling out your calves sometime the muscles in your calves tighten up and puts strain on you achilles tendon this helped me hope it helps you
  • savvystephy
    savvystephy Posts: 4,151 Member
    Options
    So is it your tendon that hurts? I have had problems before of overstretching the tendon.. that was solved by rest. Maybe you should rest it for a week or so then get back into running to see how it feels. You could probably go to a running shoe specialty store and they'd probably know the reasoning behind the problem too. :flowerforyou:

Well, re-read what you wrote again.. just keep stretching, if that seems to be improving it, then keep doing that. :wink: Still think about stopping by a running specialty store for more tips. :smile:
  • kitmyers
    kitmyers Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I've been struggling with achilles pain for over three months. Mine started during a fast run. Eventually, I went to a sports medicine doctor. He gave me stretching exercises and told me NOT to run. I did that for a month. Still not better. I went back to running even though it hurts. Had an MRI done yesterday to try and pin point the cause. My suggestion is to do lots of stretching. You may need to lay off running for a few weeks to see if it heals.
  • Ms_Natalie
    Ms_Natalie Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: I was diagnosed with achilles tendonitis and this was extremely painful when even walking...all fitness had to be put on hold. The tendon was sore to the touch and swollen. I tried to exercise on it and it was extremely painful...after going for an x ray and a scan they advised me that further exercise could have caused a ruptured achilles which would have been BAD news...luckily i received my diagnosis and time :flowerforyou:

I wouldn't get a diagnosis from here...you need to see your GP regarding the issue and then s/he can advise you on your current fitness activity. I would suggest you rest it for a good few days, keep it elevated and apply ice to the area. Even though it improves with exercise...you may still be doing damage.

I also thought plantar thingy was caused by over striking the heel and the pain was mostly felt in this bottom of the foot?

Hope it gets better soon...
  • davidlitz
    davidlitz Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I have real bad planta fescitis. Does it hurt when you first get out of bed in the morning. What I do is I take a towel and place it under the top of my foot and pull back this stretches that plantar out. Another thing I do is that I take a tennis ball and roll it on the floor back and forth with the bottom of my foot. Another is to take a frozed 2 liter coke bottle full of water and roll the bottom of your foot on it.
  • RoadDog
    RoadDog Posts: 2,946 Member
    Options
    I will weight in, even though I doubt this is the problem. I suffered with similar symptoms for almost 15 years. Seemed to get worse a couple days after playing soccer so I was sure it was because I was getting too old to play soccer.

I would have inflammation at the back of the heel, where the calf tendon inserts into the heel. The pain would be so bad sometimes that I couldn't touch it; couldn't put a shoe on.

Any way, someone suggested I might have gout. I didn't think that was possible, but I mentioned it here on MFP about 4 months ago. Someone from MFP suggested drinking Black Cherry juice. I went to my Doctor instead. He told me that I did have gout. Changed my BP medication (can't take diuretics with gout), gave me some anti inflammatories and short cortisone into my heel.

It gave me relief for a couple weeks then I had a flare up in the other heel. I went to the store and bought some Black Cherry Juice. Drank half a bottle in the Parking lot. Started to feel relief with in 2 hours. I now drink a half a glass of Black Cherry Juice each day and haven'e had a flare up since.

I have told 3 seperate people about this and they have all had the same results.

I'm not Dr. Oz and can't say this is your problem, but it's worth investing a couple bucks in Black Cherry juice to find out.

Good Luck
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    Weird enough I was carrying some heavier items at work a few minutes ago, and while lifting one I felt a gentle pop in my ankle (like the type you occasionally get in your knees when you stand up). Instantly the pain disappeared when walking. When I really stretch my ankle I can still feel a touch of soreness where the tendon comes in to my ankle but no where near what it was earlier. Wondering if maybe I had a pinched nerve or something? I'll keep an eye on it.