Acne?

Options
Hi everyone!

I have only radically changed my diet in the past week or so - no junk food, healthy foods, more fruits and vegetables, etc. Did anyone else notice a change in their skin when they changed their diet?

I have broken out ridiculously this week and wonder if it's because of the diet change. I've also been drinking more water and I've cut caffeine out completely.

Replies

• Dulcemami4ever
    Dulcemami4ever Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I heard that could be just impurities leaving the body. It should straighten itself out after a bit. I guess just make sure to clease and moisturize daily :)
  • cassondra1370
    cassondra1370 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Have you been working out? My face starts to break out when I am sweating a lot.
  • baileybiddles
    baileybiddles Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Have you been working out? My face starts to break out when I am sweating a lot.

Not last week - I wanted to take a week to break into tracking everything and eating right. This week I start doing the Shakeology workouts 3 times a week, so I expect this will only get worse, not better! :(
  • CAS317
    CAS317 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    My skin will break out occasionally but not really that bad. I used to drink a case of Diet Coke every 2 days. I did not drink water at all. Now that I am drinking lots of water I have noticed that my skin NEVER breaks out anymore. Like somebody else said, make sure you clean and moisturize. Don't clean and dry your skin out with alcohol, peroxide, etc.
  • nf1982
    nf1982 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Probably everything making its way out.
  • jjwalker77
    jjwalker77 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    The extra water (and change to a diet full of good nutrition) will often cause an initial breakout with all the toxins and impurities built up underneath and then it will clear dramatically. In reality, I mostly experience hormonal acne - but diet can change the way your hormones work, as well.

Give it another week or two - if it is not any better maybe make an appointment with the dermatologist?
  • CrystalDreams
    CrystalDreams Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    i have terrible acne my shoulders and chin. And my face sometimes. I have no idea why but it was suggested to me that it is toxins being pushed out my skins last ditch effort to stick around.
  • nf1982
    nf1982 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Also are you taking any diet pills or anything that could alter your hormones?
  • SarahBeth0625
    SarahBeth0625 Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    My skin has been a ***** since I started working out. Well, it kind-of goes in spurts. Anyway, it's worth the trade-off. I'm on "The Regimen" from acne.org and have been for years and I highly recommend it. This is coming from someone who tried every OTC and prescription remedy (even Accutane, 2 rounds, at age 20)... The Regimen works. I just purchase "step 2" from the website and substitute products for the cleanser (Avalon Organics Vitamin C cleanser) and moisturizer (generic brand of Cetaphil for that).
  • kennie2
    kennie2 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    Probably everything making its way out.

yeah this. give it time, probably the diet change
    ive been at my parents last week so been having a completely different diet and my skin has gone terrible!
  • aarikadanielle
    Options
    My face did the exact same thing when I first changed my diet. It was bad. It did however begin to clear up the more and more and now I rarely get a bad breakout anymore (except I do have one right now). Just keep cleansing and eating clean and your face may begin to clear up gradually.
  • ej_glen
    ej_glen Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Yep. I've been eating healthily and working out 4-5 times a week for about 2-3 weeks and my skin has been TERRIBLE. Finally starting to clear up now so I hope that's the last of it :)
  • SlinkySpencer
    SlinkySpencer Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    My skin was its usual horribly broken out self for the first month and a half. Then, over the past few weeks, it's cleared up. In fact, as someone prone to skin problems, my skin feels healthier than it's felt in years. Just continue to take care of it the way you're taking care of the rest of your body, and it should even out.
  • erikaaaaaaaa
    erikaaaaaaaa Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. I'd never had acne before in my life, and since changing my eating habits, it's gone crazy! It actually looks like I'm allergic to something, so I went to the dermatologist and she said that it is, in fact, acne. She prescribed me something (Clindagel) for it, but it isn't working.

I, too, have heard that it's impurities possibly leaving the body or a change in estrogen due to weight loss/diet changes that is probably causing it. With this said, however, I was also told it should sort itself out, but it has been like this since October and has not gotten better-- if anything worse.

Hopefully it'll all sort itself when I reach my goal weight and maintain. It's driving me nuts!!! Hope to see some other stories/remedies here!
  • hiyomi
    hiyomi Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    Since I started exercising my skin has turned to crap :(
  • AABru
    AABru Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Any change in diet and exercise changes your hormones. My guess is that your body is adjusting your hormones, and your skin is showing the difference. Give it a month or so.
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    My skin did the same thing. But after a few months of sticking with water over other drinks, my skin is the clearest it's ever been! I was shocked as hell.
  • SarahBeth0625
    SarahBeth0625 Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    Since I started exercising my skin has turned to crap :(

Glad I'm not alone! You look gorg in your profile pic. :smile:
  • baileybiddles
    baileybiddles Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Also are you taking any diet pills or anything that could alter your hormones?

Nope! No diet pills. I am on Depo Provera for birth control, but may soon be switching to the pill. I am nervous for this... Depo Provera leaches your bones of calcium, though, and I have been on it for three years. You're really not supposed to use it long term, but it's so convenient for me I haven't cared.
  • Kelley_Marie
    Options
    Hey there! I always seem to deal with acne when I start eating healthier, but it usually goes away within a week or two (depending on whether or not I start eating junk again). Just stick with the healthy foods and everything will balance out. Also, I've found out the hard way that you really need to make sure that you shower shortly after you workout, or at the very least wash your face. Don't let too much time pass or you'll find yourself breaking out. Hope I helped, and good luck with everything!