Confused: Lose weight THEN lift heavy? Or just start now?

Options
skeo
skeo Posts: 471 Member
I'm confused on how to go about this, my husband tells me that I should lift lighter weight(not pink weights) just lighter, because I tend to max out on what I can at this point, but he says, I shouldn't do that YET, until I drop the initial fat that I want by way of eating better and a touch more cardio.

Example, I squat 135lbs, for 3 sets of 8-10 he says I should cut it back to 95lbs and do longer reps 4 sets of 15 or more.

so lighter weight, longer reps...OR does it not matter? Will lifting heavy at this state, make me what is considered to be "bulky" as a result of the muscle development under the fat, or will it also burn the fat at the same rate? If this makes any sense.

Thanks in advance for your input.

Replies

• RobinME
    RobinME Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Just start now because lifting aids in losing weight. I have lost 110 pounds and have been lifting for just over a year. The more muscle you have the more fat you will burn.
  • SamanthaClarexo
    SamanthaClarexo Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I've lost the majority of my weight by lifting heavy. Start now - no time like the present :smile:
  • skeo
    skeo Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    Thank you both ladies :flowerforyou:
  • sarahg148
    sarahg148 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I agree 100% to lift NOW. It'll firm you up while you're losing and you'll lose inches faster! I do the circuit just because I can be lazy in the free weight room. I do heavy weights where I max out at about 10 reps. If I get to 11 or 12 reps then I'll up the weight a few pounds. Plus I lift a little slower so I'm not using momentum but my muscles to lift. You'll see faster results and see the difference probably in 4-6 weeks if you do it 3/x wk. Right now I'm doing 1-3x/wk...min 1/wk because I want to at least maintain what I've done and not go backwards. Good luck!
  • Blondie251975
    Blondie251975 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    LIFT HEAVY! As a female, it is impossible to "bulk", unless you are on testosterone supplements and in a calorie surplus! I fully believe that lifting heavy now is what is helping me achieve my weekly weight loss goals. Women are scared to lift heavy, and there is no basis for this. I do 3 sets of 8 reps, pushing near failure on the last rep of each set. If you are doing a new exercise, ease into it, so you get the proper form, but then stack it on! Your body burns the calories burned during a lift for up to 36 hours after a heavy lifting session....use that to your advantage! Lifting light doesn't make your muscles work, less calorie burn, and les strength building! Lift heavy or go home is my policy ;)
  • astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    Options
    you're not gonna gain much muscle (if any) while cutting fat.. your perceived strength may likely go up because of neural adaption and improvement in form.

You're lifting while you cut so you maintain your muscle (as much as possible). I'd say its absolutely imperative unless your have health reasons not to do it.

I prefer to do a heavy, medium, and light day on the weights...
  • almondbliss
    almondbliss Posts: 115
    Options
    Definitely start now! You will see progress and results faster!
  • gpizzy
    gpizzy Posts: 171
    Options
    Lift now - you may go through a period where you appear more 'bulky' but it's not easy for anyone, particularly women, to just bulk up like a massive body builder. More muscle helps with fat loss.
  • homeyjosey
    homeyjosey Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    lift heavy....now
  • matt2442
    matt2442 Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    The answer is always start now.
  • RacerX_14
    RacerX_14 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    Definitely lift heavy while cutting fat! Muscles burn fat. You will be toned and in great shape as well as losing weight at the same time!! Good Luck!:)
  • wikitbikit
    wikitbikit Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    I know the answer is to start lifting heavy yesterday, but my brain came up with a question the other day that I can't answer. I hate it when it does that.

Ok. So we know that you can't build muscle when you're eating at a deficit, but you can build strength. And being strong is undeniably good! But... If you aren't building muscle--which you want to build because it's more metabolically active--then aren't you putting yourself at something of a disadvantage by building up strength? Wouldn't it be easier later to build muscle if you are not as strong?

I understand lifting to maintain LBM; is that basically the purpose of 'lifting heavy' while in a deficit?
  • lizzynewm
    lizzynewm Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    i've always wondered this too, because i know you can't really gain muscle while eating at a deficit.

BUT! i suggest you keep lifting heavy, because even if you don't gain big muscles out of it, it will still keep your body more toned than it would be if you were just losing by means of cardio. like, i lost 50 pounds through only cardio and eating less, and my butt (which was previously muscular through horseback riding) totally deflated. i started doing more heavy lifting squats/heavy leg press and the like, and even though i'm still eating at a deficit, it's definitely a less sad situation down in the badonkadonk area. you don't want your muscles to disappear like mine did, because it is way more difficult to build new ones than maintain old ones, especially at a deficit.
  • MidwestAngel
    MidwestAngel Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    The answer is always start now.
    ^this, also bacon, sex, and yes.
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,662 Member
    Options
    you're not gonna gain much muscle (if any) while cutting fat.. your perceived strength may likely go up because of neural adaption and improvement in form.

You're lifting while you cut so you maintain your muscle (as much as possible). I'd say its absolutely imperative unless your have health reasons not to do it.

I prefer to do a heavy, medium, and light day on the weights...

QFT

i'd say that the higher reps might support your goals a little more because i'm assuming thats going to burn a little more calories, but which every your perfer is fine. switching it up every month or so is probably best.

you don't ever have to be concerned about 'looking bulky'.

And if you should ever be so fortunate, there is an easy fix: lift less, lighter, stop working so hard lol.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Depends on your goals. If you simply want to see the scale go down as fast as possible, then you probably shouldn't lift. However, if your ultimate goal is to be anything along the lines of being toned, looking fit, etc etc, then you'll need to lift at some point. In which case it makes sense to lift now so you have less work to do down the road.

As long as you have a calorie deficit you'll lose weight.

As for looking bulky... everyone has a different image in their mind for what is or isn't bulky. IMO, lifting on a calorie deficit will not make you bulky, but that's based on what I think of as bulky, what I consider attractive, etc.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Start now
  • SoViLicious
    SoViLicious Posts: 2,633 Member
    Options
    I am doing it now. It has slowed down the scale, but I have lost so many inches and feel so strong.
  • djeffreys10
    djeffreys10 Posts: 2,312 Member
    Options
    Being a woman, you aren't going to look bulky no matter what you do. You want to lose fat, not muscle. Lifting heavy will help your body maintain your current muscle while you burn fat due to eating at a calorie deficit. So lift heavy.
  • almondbliss
    almondbliss Posts: 115
    Options
    This is Jamie Eason's 12 Week Livefit Trainer, it's how I started. http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/jamie-easons-livefit-introduction.html