My Fitness Dream: To become a RUNNER!

Options
13»

Replies

• GlassSlipperGurl
    GlassSlipperGurl Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Get a good sports bra, or double up, and then start the Couch to 5K program!!

You can do it!!

I never thought I'd be able to run. I ran my first 5K in 2011 (after finishing C25K) and am training for my first half marathon now. =)
    I did the double sports bra when I first started out :) Works like a charm.
  • deeruns
    deeruns Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Just echoing all the other sentiments here. Couch Potato to 5K is a great program - I did it to start, and now I'll be running my first endurance sport in April - a half-marathon. Good running shoes make a WORLD of difference. Take it from me, blisters are bull. And yes yes yes to the double sports bra thing - I *still* use 2, and refuse to work out with less. Last but not least, SLOW DOWN BUT DON'T STOP. Seriously. It doesn't matter how slowly you're going. All those people who are looking at you? Whizzing by you at 10mph speeds? They started from somewhere. We all did. Slow down to the slowest of slow jogs you know if need be, but don't stop. You can do it.
  • wahmx3
    wahmx3 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    You can do it, I am trying to be a runner as well, I would love to be able to run 5-10k without wanting to die! C to5K is great like many people suggested but I find it too fast paced for me, I have started it at least 3 times and never finished it. I am more determined now....it currently takes me about 55 minutes to walk/jog 5k, I would love to get that down to 45 minutes by first of June. If I don't get it done, it is okay, I will keep at it this time. Do some strength training to go along with the cardio to help with your muscles. Find a partner to run with you, either locally or online to partner up with....knowing you have someone doing it with you helps.
  • lakegirl246
    Options
    Go to www.anothermotherrunner.com - the info in those books helped me get off the ground! I have lost almost 50 lbs. and can run about five miles at a go, now. I can't say enough about that website and their books. :)
  • MelissaVoci
    MelissaVoci Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Another good one is sexymotherrunner... Google it or look her up on FB, so inspiring! I totally agree with everyone, get a good sports bra, good shoes, and get running socks. I ordered mine from lululemon, about $12 a pair, but they LAST and I haven't had a blister since :) Start slow, celebrate every success!!! I started with walking a mile loop, then running 1/4 mile, then half a mile, etc.... I was so excited and made sure everyone knew when I hit a goal :) My first race was a biggie, half marathon (Go big or go home, right?) Time limit 3:30, I finished in 3:29 Just over a 16 minute mile Every race I do I just try to push myself a tiny bit harder than the race before. My best was a 4 miler that I finished in 44 minutes :) Exhilerating! But on the other hand, DO NOT get intimidated by the pace! I was frustrated when I googled inspiring running stories, and 99% of the stories were about people running a 10 minute mile or better.... But then I remembered that I am not doing this for them, or to beat them. Every race I run is mine. I run to make myself better, healthier, happier, and fitter. I run for those who can't. I usually put a name on my hand before a race, so when it gets hard, I can look down and remember why I run. Just remember, above all else, you can do it!
  • Carolyn_79
    Carolyn_79 Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    There was a time when I couldn't run for longer than 2 minutes. Sadly I was in my early twenties. I'm now 33 years old and running my first half marathon in May. The C25K is a great program and although I didn't use it I know many people who have had great success with it. You can do this. Believing in yourself is the first step to success.
  • Krissy563
    Krissy563 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    8430a052125133f13446011da11a453b.jpg

THIS!

You can do it!

Signed, someone who could barely run a mile a year ago and just finished her first half marathon!
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    8430a052125133f13446011da11a453b.jpg

Hell yes! God help anyone who asks me how the "jogging" is going. I don't jog - I run (verrrrryyyy slowly!).
  • ToBeCountry
    ToBeCountry Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Couch to 5K.
    Just finished Week 1, Day 3 today.
    My goal this year is a 5K.
    This app makes it tolerable. Maybe one day I will "love" to run.
  • skyslady1
    skyslady1 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    This is my dream as well to run again after many years. I just looked over the C25k program and Im going to give it a go. I do have one question though, can you strength train on the your relax days? Can anyone let me know about that?

Absolutely! But, for me, I prefer to get it all out of the way so I do a run as a warm up (30 mins on the C25k programme) then do weights straight after when I get home and I'm nicely warmed up.

Thank you that makes a lot of sense.