Protein Shakes?

Options
RoseKatet
RoseKatet Posts: 149 Member
I never thought I would have a problem getting enough protein considering I LOVE MEAT :) But apparently that isn't really a factor, so my personal trainer recommended I use shakes to suppliment. The one he named is EAS Avantedge-Carb control and its fine but on my little sheet that he gave me I should be getting 25-35g of lean protein for under 150 cals. The EAS is only 17g for 110 cals. So what would you recommend in protein shake form that would get me those #'s, with low sugar. At this point even with those shakes, raw nuts, and the meat I eat I am still short on protein for the day? Thanks in advance :bigsmile:

Replies

• deneeneh
    deneeneh Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I use the GNC Total Lean Shakes...I buy ones in the bottle and they are 25 grams of protein for 170 calories..
  • MooseKnuckle5
    Options
    I personally use the Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey. Every scoop has 24g of protein and only 120 calories. Pair this up with some high protein milk like the Hood brand I use and it's a good solid combo. Check my food diary to see how well it helps. :)
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Is the issue that you aren't getting enough protein or that you aren't using a protein supplement?
  • RoseKatet
    Options
    Is the issue that you aren't getting enough protein or that you aren't using a protein supplement?

Not getting enough protein without going over cals, fat, sugar etc
  • RoseKatet
    Options
    I use the GNC Total Lean Shakes...I buy ones in the bottle and they are 25 grams of protein for 170 calories..

Thanks, I'll have to check it out...I was kind of looking at that earlier :flowerforyou:
  • RoseKatet
    Options
    I personally use the Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey. Every scoop has 24g of protein and only 120 calories. Pair this up with some high protein milk like the Hood brand I use and it's a good solid combo. Check my food diary to see how well it helps. :)

Thank you, Moosie...I will totally check it out :flowerforyou:
  • jacksonpt
    Options

Any protein supplement (as opposed to weight gainer or meal replacement shake) will work. I like optimum nutrition stuff and use their gold standard whey, gold standard casein, and pro complex.
  • RoseKatet
    Options

Any protein supplement (as opposed to weight gainer or meal replacement shake) will work. I like optimum nutrition stuff and use their gold standard whey, gold standard casein, and pro complex.

So we have 2 votes for ON :) So maybe I should take a trip to GNC :flowerforyou:
  • MooseKnuckle5
    Options
    Going there today to buy another tub actually :-). I loved, Loved, LOVED the cake batter flavor before they discontinued it. Tried the cookies and creme (yuck), chocolate (okay) and now I'm on to french vanilla creme (pretty damn good).
  • mahirob
    mahirob Posts: 35
    Options
    I second the Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey suggestion. I've done a lot of searching for the best/healthiest supplement. Whey is hands down the best that I've found, imho. I get the flavor extreme milk chocolate. You can either mix it with water, but I mix is with skim milk for a little extra vitamins after an intense work out.

8oz of skim milk on light work out days
    12oz of skim milk on light work out days,
  • RoseKatet
    Options
    Going there today to buy another tub actually :-). I loved, Loved, LOVED the cake batter flavor before they discontinued it. Tried the cookies and creme (yuck), chocolate (okay) and now I'm on to french vanilla creme (pretty damn good).

Do they have any of the premade ones, as I am at work 10.5 hrs a day and don't always have access to milk? and work is where 90% of my food is consumed during the week :wink:
  • deneeneh
    deneeneh Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    they are really good...I like the strawberry and the vanilla :smile:
  • minimaggie
    minimaggie Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I use About Time protein. It has around 100 cal and 25 g of protein per serving. Most flavors are made with only 4 ingredients and all of their protien powders are sweetened with stevia and have 0 g of carbs.
  • jamers3111
    jamers3111 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Add unsweetened vanilla (or chocolate) almond milk... a cup is only 30-40 calories! PB2 (powdered peanut butter) is 45 cals for 2Tbsp... add a handful of spinach for basically nothing... or even some greek yogurt.
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    Egg substitute is 15 calories per serving and generic whey isolates you can find for about 100-110 calories per servings at the lower end.
  • rciszek
    rciszek Posts: 134
    Options
    I also use the Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey from GNC. I've tried a whole bunch of theirs and have good luck with them. I've tried the GNC Lean ones too, I have that at work for when I make one on my way to the gym.
  • TJtastic
    TJtastic Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I use the Bluebonnet Whey Isolate and it's 26g protein for 116 cals. Tastes good too.
  • wstreet8110
    Options
    I use "Cellucor" from GNC...it has 30 grams of protein, 130 calories, 1 gram of sugar & 4 carbs...and it taste great w/ water!!! Can't beat that...
  • RoseKatet
    Options
    Wow!! Thank you everyone:flowerforyou: I will check these out!!! :bigsmile:
  • jacksonpt
    Options

So we have 2 votes for ON :) So maybe I should take a trip to GNC :flowerforyou:

In my experience, GNC is far and away the most expensive. If it's you're only option, then I guess you're stuck, but see if you can find it elsewhere. My local shop sells it for ~half the price of GNC.