Crossfit?

Options
I lost the weight...Now I'm looking for some serious toning.

I'm not a big fan of the machines at the gym. I never know what to do, when, how much, how many??!! I'm considering the local CrossFit gym...Is that going to be too intense for someone like me with decent cardio endurance but not much in the way of strength.

Replies

• cfbiii64
    cfbiii64 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    First of all, I love my crossfit gym, but I have only been to one gym.

Like anything, ask friends/people you trust for recommendations. They are the best source to find a gym that will meet your needs.

Meet with the owner/trainers and talk to them about your goals...if the conversations don't go well, try another.

Watch out for crossfit haters...to them, all crossfit everwhere is bad.
  • jjmnet
    jjmnet Posts: 110
    Options
    What is Crossfit exactly? I'm hearing a lot about it and people post a bunch of numbers next to some workout names.....can someone explain who has done Crossfit?
  • abc71
    abc71 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I'm not entirely clear on what it is either, other than it doesn't involve a lot of "stuff". The gyms are supposed to be pared down, the workouts are supposed to be pretty straight forward. I'm worried I'm too much of a wimp! haha! BUT I'm trying to change that and Crossfit seems a little more hardcore than my usual routine. I'd like to add some muscles to my frame!
  • Bricrekel
    Options
    I have done Crossfit for a few years and loved it. The exercises are more cardio centric using weights. The idea in Crossfit is your body never has a chance to plateau...never. Usually there will be a set of 3 to 5 exercises to do for a day. Usually you will have to perform so many sets of them and then record your times. It doesn't matter on your strength as you should start with weights matching your level when the daily exercise calls for weights. A lot of them do not but incorporate rope climbs, kipping pullup (different motion made for max reps helping increase cardio).

I am currently doing a Beachbody program (P90X) and have just finished Beachbody's Insanity. I switched from Crossfit to this because I was not going to a "box" (Crossfit gym) and needed something the didn't require equipment. I highly recommend it especially if you are already in shape cardio wise.
  • SirAlexanderII
    Options
    Crossfit is basically total body fitness. The basis of program is doing something different everyday. Using your environment and everyday items to aid in your fitness. Now in response to Health_Gal most crossfit gyms are priced pretty high and yes most trainers have a lvl 1 certificate. But both are true because the association that certifies these gyms/trainers cost an arm and a leg. They hold this lvl 1 until they can afford to get lvl 2, also company makes ppl hold lvl 1 at least a year before allowing them to move on. We have to understand this a pretty dynamic and new growing form of fitness. As with all new/in things everyone wants to be apart of it. Once things settle or a new fitness program comes to light these prices will level off. Don't let anyone discourage you from checking it out. Research is the key to starting anything new, google, youtube, bing crossfit games then gyms then personal workouts before going into gym to have a better understanding of this genre of fitness. It may or may not be for you. As a Certified Fitness Trainer I have to say there are no cookie cutter programs, everyone is different everyone needs different things. It about what you want/can invest in your fitness. Hope this helps.
  • alychil820
    alychil820 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Does anywhere near you offer TRX? It works on toning and strengthening your entire body, and it's easy to modify the different exercises to make them easier or more difficult. Or check out a boot camp class! They're great, too, and because they're usually small, the instructor can help with your form and make recommendations for modifying the exercises.

I love Crossfit, but it's not for everyone. If you're interested, then try out a class or two, and then make your decision. You might be stronger than you think.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    I love Crossfit. I started a month ago and it's the only workout that has successfully inspired me to work out first thing in the morning and stick with it. I go four times a week. I'm starting to feel results (back squatted 105 pounds today!)

My fitness level prior to starting was running every so often and some familiarity with a weight room. Nothing very consistent in the past three years though. I tailor the workouts to my fitness level and I'm doing just fine - even in the classes with the big guns.

My box is awesome, but not every box is great. Check recommendations. Ask a lot of questions. Look at credentials. Watch a class. That's the only way to see if it's going to be a fit for you. Also, make sure your box offers an elements class (essentially, two weeks of training before you start).

Ignore Health_Gal - she's posts the same comments on every CrossFit thread and has probably already PM'd you by now. She either has no life, is a lunatic, or is getting paid by someone.
  • DoneBroughtSexyBack
    Options
    I'm not entirely clear on what it is either, other than it doesn't involve a lot of "stuff". The gyms are supposed to be pared down, the workouts are supposed to be pretty straight forward. I'm worried I'm too much of a wimp! haha! BUT I'm trying to change that and Crossfit seems a little more hardcore than my usual routine. I'd like to add some muscles to my frame!

When I originally started CrossFit several years ago (I took a bit of a break in there) I was so out of shape that I didn't even make it through the warm up routine before I was throwing up... Don't worry about being "too much of a wimp". I have been blessed to find two different boxes to call my CrossFit home that have excellent trainers that understand what they are doing and that just "get it".

As some others have stated, you will find that most boxes (gyms) are only equipped with level 1 cert trainers and more often then not they don’t really know what they are doing. It is just the unfortunate truth. I would go to the local box and ask the trainer there what they have for experience and all that jazz, just interview them. If you can find a good gym with a good trainer, then I think CrossFit is one of the best things you can do. I love it. I look forward to going every day. So much more fun than going to some globo gym and just hitting a few machines… but to each his (or her) own!

Best of luck!!
  • mizshyne
    mizshyne Posts: 8
    Options
    I am sort of in the same situation..now that I've lost some weight and I'm at a weight that I want. I'm afraid that if I keep going on with whatever I'm doing now that I will continue to just lose. I'm at a point now where I want to focus on toning/strengthening up and I'm not really fond of gym machines either although I'm still using them LOL soooooo..I've signed up for my first Crossfit "class" tommorow :))) umm it's free BTW because they want their prospective members to see and experience it for themselves before signigng up for anything.

At first I got thrown off by the pricing and a bit nervous after researching the myths of crossfit etc... #1 being the "bulking up" part but in the end I've decieded to just go for it! because my body will only change for the better and I love a good challenge :)

So if this is something that you really want, listen to your body, check it out atleast once and ask some questions before crossing it off your list. you might be missing out on something you'll love hope this helps :)
  • mgreenham
    mgreenham Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I have just started Crossfit after doing a lot of what you are doing right now. Namely research. Here is what I found. Visit and talk with the boxes (gyms) in your area. Check their certifications of each of the coaches. They will refer to the students as "athletes" and they take that seriously. Where you are in your athletic prowess will be determined and discuses by the coaches so as not to hurt or overwhelm you. Then watch a few classes. Most boxes will let you drop in and watch the athletes working out. If they don't move on and find one that does. A good box will also have some type of foundations class. This class should last a month or so, going a couple times a week. This gets you somewhat familiar with the workouts you may have watched. It stresses form over intensity. so being a wimp is where we all start ;-) as you get better, the coaches will help you turn up the intensity. Lastly look at their schedule. Many new boxes are run by part time coaches (Not ideal in my opinion) and their hours are limited.

It is built on what they call functional movement, not so much specialized movements that weight machines are designed to improve/enhance. These functional movements are what you do in your everyday life, from picking up a box on the floor, to reachi9ng and grabbing something off the shelf in a store. They then add intensity, meaning more weight, faster times or more reps. Your strength and endurance QUICKLY improve.

One of the greatest things about a good box, is the sense of community you have. See each day there is only 1 routine EVERYONE does each day. So while a hard core expert might do what they call "prescribed" meaning all the weight, and reps... you may be modified to fit your skill level. But everyone works together. When the fast guys get done, they turn to those still working and cheer/encourage them on... the person who finishes last often gets more applause then the guys who finish first. Everyone wants you to be successful no matter your age or ability.

My box offers a free workout for any fitness level each sat. you won't be doing the hardcore movements, but you get a workout and get a sense of the communal atmosphere.

Good luck, I hope you find one that is good. You will quickly love it.

BTW, don't look at youtube... those people aren't your average crossfitters ;-)
  • DoneBroughtSexyBack
    Options
    I have just started Crossfit after doing a lot of what you are doing right now. Namely research. Here is what I found. Visit and talk with the boxes (gyms) in your area. Check their certifications of each of the coaches. They will refer to the students as "athletes" and they take that seriously. Where you are in your athletic prowess will be determined and discuses by the coaches so as not to hurt or overwhelm you. Then watch a few classes. Most boxes will let you drop in and watch the athletes working out. If they don't move on and find one that does. A good box will also have some type of foundations class. This class should last a month or so, going a couple times a week. This gets you somewhat familiar with the workouts you may have watched. It stresses form over intensity. so being a wimp is where we all start ;-) as you get better, the coaches will help you turn up the intensity. Lastly look at their schedule. Many new boxes are run by part time coaches (Not ideal in my opinion) and their hours are limited.

It is built on what they call functional movement, not so much specialized movements that weight machines are designed to improve/enhance. These functional movements are what you do in your everyday life, from picking up a box on the floor, to reachi9ng and grabbing something off the shelf in a store. They then add intensity, meaning more weight, faster times or more reps. Your strength and endurance QUICKLY improve.

One of the greatest things about a good box, is the sense of community you have. See each day there is only 1 routine EVERYONE does each day. So while a hard core expert might do what they call "prescribed" meaning all the weight, and reps... you may be modified to fit your skill level. But everyone works together. When the fast guys get done, they turn to those still working and cheer/encourage them on... the person who finishes last often gets more applause then the guys who finish first. Everyone wants you to be successful no matter your age or ability.

My box offers a free workout for any fitness level each sat. you won't be doing the hardcore movements, but you get a workout and get a sense of the communal atmosphere.

Good luck, I hope you find one that is good. You will quickly love it.

BTW, don't look at youtube... those people aren't your average crossfitters ;-)

Applause-gif-tumblr-i8.gif
  • PRMinx
    Options
    It's obvious that Health_Gal knows nothing about CrossFit.

At my box, there's nothing complicated about the workout. It's usually one or two lifts per workout, the first being a strength test and the second being part of the WOD (the actual intense part of the workout). They teach you how to do them.

Lifts are one part of an overall workout that includes kettles, wall balls, intense calisthenics, running, rowing, jump roping, box jumps and other cardio intensive cross training activities.

You can find community in any workout you do - it's all about what works for you. I personally found my place at my box. I really like everyone in the morning class and I go because I look forward to seeing them. CrossFit is expensive but it's worth it to me because:

1) I'm motivated to go
    2) I like the people
    3) I feel results
    4) They have a ton of available classes, including yoga sessions
    5) I like the idea of a trainer there to watch me (mine are great)
    6) the CrossFit culture is to be competitive with yourself, supportive with others

And I'm sure there will be more reasons the farther along I go.
  • Summit481
    Options
    a friend of mine just became a cross fit trainer after about a year of getting her cardio up...I don't think there is ever a bad time, and it sounds like it's really fun. I did circuit training once and loved it. I would very much like to try CF. I hope you do, and if so, keep us all posted on how you like it! good luck!
  • ptjolsen
    ptjolsen Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I wish the quality trainers that really do have some background and education would boycott Crossfit until they stop issuing those Level 1 Certificates to people that aren't qualified to train anyone safely!
    HELLO! :drinker:
  • PRMinx
    Options

At my box, there's nothing complicated about the workout. It's usually one or two lifts per workout, the first being a strength test and the second being part of the WOD (the actual intense part of the workout). They teach you how to do them.

It may just be one or two lifts per Crossfit workout, but they do have a lot of different lifts and moves you have to learn to do the various workouts as Crossfit prescribes them.

The people that run the Crossfit organization probably make things so complicated so people will feel like they have to pay big money to join their facilities to learn how to do all those moves that you don't even have to deal with in most exercise classes.

Wrong. Again.

We learned four basic lifts to start and those are the only ones I have seen used in the general workouts. You spend two weeks learning these lifts under the supervision of qualified trainer. You start with a PVC pipe, and then graduate to a 15 pound bar. That's hardly a lot of lifts and hardly a lot of weight. As you progress, you add more weight. I've been there a month, I've added 20 pounds to the bar. No one has pushed me to go farther than my comfort zone. Most injuries happen because people push themselves past their limits and, from what I've heard, most of those injuries happen in the cardio elements that seem easy and are taken for granted (box jumps being a big one). But, injury happens in any intense sport. Swimmers can drown, gymnasts fall, boxers get punched, etc. You can drop a kettle ball on your foot in boot camp just as easily as you can in CrossFit.

In regards to "a lot of lifts" that's just simply not the case in the beginning. CrossFitters may pick up more lifts as they progress in their sport. But that's like anything in life, sports or otherwise. The better you become, the more things you try.

CrossFit is no more complicated than learning yoga positions, kickboxing, pilates movements or TRX systems. I know this because I've done them all. And all of these things can cause an injury.

Is it hard? Yes. Should your trainers be qualified? Yes.

Money shouldn't really be an argument here at all, because it's all relative. What is expensive to you may not be expensive to someone else. CrossFit is expensive to me, but it's worth it for many reasons (to me). If someone has the money and wants to try the sport, then all the power to them.
  • PRMinx
    Options

I didn't realize jumping on a box, doing a pushup and raising a bar with weights on it over your head was so ridiculously complicated :o

See the list at the link below. That is a LOT more complicated than any exercise program needs to be:

http://www.crossfitdavis.com/crossfit-davis/crossfit-terminology

Pulling a bunch of acronyms off a website doesn't prove anything. For one, those aren't all CF moves. The majority of CrossFitters don't even know those acronyms exist. And, two, if there was anything on the board that we didn't understand, the coaches would go over it.

You could map out a longer list for yoga that actually included real positions and movements. Try again.
  • Loulady
    Loulady Posts: 511 Member
    Options

It may just be one or two lifts per Crossfit workout, but they do have a lot of different lifts and moves you have to learn to do the various workouts as Crossfit prescribes them.

The people that run the Crossfit organization probably make things so complicated so people will feel like they have to pay big money to join their facilities to learn how to do all those moves that you don't even have to deal with in most exercise classes.

The people that run the Crossfit organization put tons of information out on their web site about all the workouts, and how to build your own setup/modify things so you can make do with what you have, and post a daily workout online every morning so anyone can play along at home for free.

I don't do Crossfit, but come on.
  • mgreenham
    mgreenham Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Just a brief note on cost...

While true, in comparison CrossFit is more expensive than a traditional $10/mo gym, you also get the benefit of small class size usually 5-10 students to 2 coaches. You are constantly watched and COACHED for that 1 hour. If a coach sees you doing something wrong, they step in, point out the error in form, re-train on the move, then help you refocus on the workout. This is in large part what you would or could pay a personal trainer to do.

A personal trainer is $50-$75/hr. So if you do CrossFit 3x/week x 4 weeks/mo would be 12 sessions or $600-$900 in personal training cost. Most GOOD boxes charge between $125-$175/mo for unlimited use which makes the individual session cost between $11- $15 each... even less if you go more often

As an example.
    I went to a 4PM class last night. I had 2 coaches that coached me, my wife, an 18yo high school kid and an experienced Crossfitter. 1 coach for every 2 athletes... which IS personal attention.

While a 2:1 coach to athlete ratio isn't the norm for every class time, it most likely is for a few of them. If your box has many class times to choose from you can find sessions with few people in them. Even the busiest classes (6:00 AM, 11:30 AM and the 6:00 PM) will only have a 5-7:1 athlete to coach ratio...

As someone above put it. Expensive is a relative term. doing your own "math" will help you determine expensive.
  • m00nflwr
    m00nflwr Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Yes my Crossfit box costs more than the YWCA did, but I love it, go much more often, and am seeing amazing progress!

For me, Crossfit is worth every penny.
  • JoanB5
    JoanB5 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    If you are looking for something to tone that isn't expensive, there are other options if you have concerns. I started on treadmill and was losing weight with diet changes, but was having some knee tendon pain and had to reduce WAY down once I started hitting 5K point. I looked for others things to do while tendons and ligaments caught up with new muscle.

I started the "NoNonsense Challenge" group on here, not really sure if I would do it. It was so do-able and fun and the community was so great that I stuck with it about 4-5 times a week (it's scheduled for six days and a rest day, but I did DVDs or ran some days). Each week, you get increased reps on the same basic moves (jumping jacks, squats, push-ups, burpees, mountain climbers). I've noticed my biggest body changes from this group. It has an interval training feel to it. You recover, and move on to the next set. All the moves involve major muscle groups and core, so you are burning more calories through the day as well supporting new muscle. My core is ton stronger as a result.

Bonus, yesterday, I realized I've actually improved my time on my 5K by eight minutes over the last 4 weeks by NOT running. The interval training and new muscle helped me recover quicker...I added 3-4 sprint sets to the last mile of my 5K where I'm usually about to die.

Circuit training is free, easy, doesn't take a lot of equipment, and can really improve your tone fast if you want an alternative idea until you figure this out. We start again (probably from week 2 the first week of April. We'd love to have you!) You could start Week 1 this week to be ready for week two with us next week!