Why am I gaining weight!!!

Options
Hi there,

So I started 30 day shred 3 days ago. I have been eating my calories that MFP recommends which is 1430 per day. I also eat back my exercise calories. Previously to starting this workout, I was losing at the the rate of .5-1 lb per week. However, I got on the scale this morning and am 4 pounds heavier. Hopefully this is just water retention. I might just do away with the scale and go by how my clothes fit.

Replies

• ChrisLindsay9
    ChrisLindsay9 Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    I might just do away with the scale and go by how my clothes fit.
    This is a pretty good idea, particularly if one is incorporating strength training into their fitness program. You can also take measurements on a monthly basis as well. Pictures can help too.

Three days doesn't seem long enough to be concerned. If you want to use the scale again, try doing it every week (and never daily). Same time of day, same clothes. Minimize any variables. Such as when you first wake up on a Wednesday morning before your cup of coffee or morning tinkle.

You mention that you're eating the appropriate amount of calories. You may want to go into settings and open up your diary so that we can take a look to see if there's any adjustments you can make there? In many cases, it could be a simple re-allocation of calories, such as consuming a bit more calories from protein sources and a little less calories from carbohydrate sources.
  • Eileen889
    Eileen889 Posts: 117
    Options
    Three days is not enough time to see any results. My advice is to only weigh yourself once a week at the same time and take body measurements once or twice a month. By the end of the 30 days I'm sure you will see better results.
  • ami5000psu
    ami5000psu Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    It's been three days--calm yourself. You just started a new exercise routine and water retention from that is pretty common. Give it some more time.
  • BoomstickChick
    BoomstickChick Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    water, bloating, time of month? muscle building.
  • tryinghard71
    Options
    You are female. Our weight will sway up and down all the time depending on the time of the month. Everyone has water weight that causes the scale to go up and down as well. You could weigh something different through out the day hour by hour. The best thing to do is only weigh weekly at the same time. Measure weekly and record your measurements. When I first started out the scale did not move much for 2 months but I was losing a 1/2 inch to 1 inch a week.
  • kazmurphblin
    kazmurphblin Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    OMG Do not worry this programe does work!! TRust me Ive done it you will be fine your muscles have torn in order to build and its part of the form for the muscle to surround its self with water to heal. Perfectly normal SO DONT WORRY! x
  • marypatmccue
    marypatmccue Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    water, bloating, time of month? muscle building.

It is not muscle after 3 days...
    All the rest remains true.

Eat at a deficit. Workout. Be consistent. You'll get results.
  • dhldc85
    dhldc85 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your reply, I am very sore already after starting the workouts. This is all good information to hear :-)
  • kazmurphblin
    kazmurphblin Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    If your aching then stretch out more and this will relieve it!! x