Wholemeal pasta - yay or nay?

I know there is big controversy surrounding carbs and whether you should eat them or avoid them.

I personally think they are essential and that you should eat them, especially if you're working out a lot.

I'm thinking of adding whole meal past into my meal plans. Just wholemeal spaghetti, with tomato pasta sauce about twice a week. That's not so bad is it?? I count my calories so I know they'll still be under control.

Plus wholemeal pasta has good protein and fiber. So I'm voting "yay"

What about you??

Replies

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,144 Member
    I eat pasta, and the forbidden white kind to boot. Italy has an obese rate of 8% and they eat white pasta, so I guess I'm good to go. :wink: If you enjoy wholegrain pasta, then that would be the reason to consume it.
  • kiwi2006
    kiwi2006 Posts: 15
    We do wholemeal pasta and bread in our house. Although, I'm trying to be good and not eat so many, I'm a carb lover! :)
  • Vaisaxena
    Vaisaxena Posts: 109 Member
    Pasta is fine... whote wheat or white makes almost no difference - preferably consumed after a workout only. Disregard the protein content in pasta.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,474 Member
    HELL YEAH!
    LOVE MY CARBS AND LOVE MY PASTA!
  • ksuh999
    ksuh999 Posts: 543 Member
    I eat pasta, and the forbidden white kind to boot. Italy has an obese rate of 8% and they eat white pasta, so I guess I'm good to go. :wink: If you enjoy wholegrain pasta, then that would be the reason to consume it.
    Obesity rates are somewhat misleading. It's BMI > 30, which means you're really fat. If you take the percentage of _overweight_ people (BMI > 25), then the numbers for "low obesity" countries shoots way up.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    I know there is big controversy surrounding carbs and whether you should eat them or avoid them.

I personally think they are essential and that you should eat them, especially if you're working out a lot.

I'm thinking of adding whole meal past into my meal plans. Just wholemeal spaghetti, with tomato pasta sauce about twice a week. That's not so bad is it?? I count my calories so I know they'll still be under control.

Plus wholemeal pasta has good protein and fiber. So I'm voting "yay"

What about you??

Nay, taste preference
  • ksuh999
    ksuh999 Posts: 543 Member
    Some brands taste terrible.

Cooks' Illustrated likes "Bionaturae Organic 100% Whole Wheat Spaghetti" and "Barilla Plus Multigrain Spaghetti". Note that the latter contains egg whites.
  • nuttyduffy
    nuttyduffy Posts: 255 Member
    Yummmmm I love wholewheat pasta, had it tonight with a Bolognese sauce - delicious :happy: