How do you know when to stop?

Options
At the age of 47, I have never exercised before. I keep reading over and over again that you should "push yourself". How do you know exactly when to stop? I had no concerns until someone told me that I will give myself a heart attack if I start exercising as my body is not used to it. I am not stupid enough to go and run a marathon straight away but am eager to start exercising to get some results. Could anyone give me some tips to get started. Thank you so much.

Replies

• bdburch
    bdburch Posts: 127
    Options
    In general, your body will let you know when to stop. If you feel pain, stop. If you feel discomfort, you can probably keep going.

If you've not exercised for a while, you might want to take it slow at first as you will probably be really sore. Look at this site for some beginner routines.

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/workouts/
  • triggsta
    triggsta Posts: 140
    Options
    In general, your body will let you know when to stop. If you feel pain, stop. If you feel discomfort, you can probably keep going.

Agreed. Listen to what your body is telling you. It will let you know when you've gone too far or are doing too much.
  • louisemichele
    louisemichele Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thank you both - I did a short burst of the 30 day shred today - will go for a bit longer in the morning! Mx