Getting Frustrated

Options
Hi All,

I changed my life (that's what I call it) about 8 weeks ago, and went from eating out daily with no exercise to eating right, watching and logging my calories, doing cardio 4 times a week, and strength training with a personal trainer twice a week. I've only lost 7 lbs, and at last measurement, 5.5 inches over my entire body. Is this normal? I'm getting so frustrated. I'm not trying to sound dramatic, I just feel sometimes like I should be seeing more results. According to the calories set on MFP, I should be losing 1.5 pounds a week. I DO eat back my exercise calories, so I expected to be at a 12lb weight loss by now, maybe a little more. Does anyone have success stories where they, too, started out slow? Maybe this isn't slow progress and I just feel like it is...

Replies

• Mummyadams
    Mummyadams Posts: 1,125 Member
    Options
    8 weeks really is a very short time - sounds like you are doing all the right things, esp the strength training. Not sure how much you are trying to lose but remember slow and steady wins the race (EVERY TIME) - maybe stop focusing on the scales and go by your measurements. It helps to take some before photo's and take another set after every month - you will be amazed by the difference once you see the pics side by side. Scales can be deceiving, esp if you are trength training as you are building muscle which is awesome as this also helps to burn fat.
    Your doing fine! Add me for support and motiovation if you like.
  • tmschulte1
    tmschulte1 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I've heard to take a break from the scale and just focus on getting healthy. For me, it was finding what my body needed calorie wise in order to lose, everyone's different.
  • daviniakerr
    Options
    I got on the scale this morning - didn't get on for the last six weeks - it messes with my psyche. I didn't lose another pound in six weeks. My weight stayed the same. I've been walking for 40 minutes four days per week, counting my calories - eating 1400 calories, burning 250 each day, and no weight loss. What am I doing wrong? Help me please.
  • jadams1650
    jadams1650 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Go to the store, buy 7.7 lbs of ground beef, place on the counter and inspect carefully. This is the amount of body mass that you have lost in the last 8 weeks. A little more impressive when you visualize the volume of loss.
  • Mummyadams
    Mummyadams Posts: 1,125 Member
    Options
    I got on the scale this morning - didn't get on for the last six weeks - it messes with my psyche. I didn't lose another pound in six weeks. My weight stayed the same. I've been walking for 40 minutes four days per week, counting my calories - eating 1400 calories, burning 250 each day, and no weight loss. What am I doing wrong? Help me please.
    Walking is probably not enough - try incorporating jobs/sprints with your walks.
  • ExerciseTHIS
    Options
    Hi All,

I changed my life (that's what I call it) about 8 weeks ago, and went from eating out daily with no exercise to eating right, watching and logging my calories, doing cardio 4 times a week, and strength training with a personal trainer twice a week. I've only lost 7 lbs, and at last measurement, 5.5 inches over my entire body. Is this normal? I'm getting so frustrated. I'm not trying to sound dramatic, I just feel sometimes like I should be seeing more results. According to the calories set on MFP, I should be losing 1.5 pounds a week. I DO eat back my exercise calories, so I expected to be at a 12lb weight loss by now, maybe a little more. Does anyone have success stories where they, too, started out slow? Maybe this isn't slow progress and I just feel like it is...

Sorry if this has been said already I haven't yet read the previous posts, but do you think with the strength training in the mix you're building muscle too? Muscle weighs more than fat, so what you're burning and turning into muscle isn't showing on the scale but your all over appearance is probably showing the results.
    How are your clothes fitting? sometimes that a better gauge.
  • zaxaz
    zaxaz Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    How fast are you walking? Are there any hills in your walks?
  • JAnundson
    JAnundson Posts: 23
    Options
    Well, muscle weighs the same as fat (one pound of muscle weighs the same as one pound of fat) but I think what you're trying to say is muscle is denser than fat, therefore takes up less space. My clothes are a little looser, but not much. That's probably because even when I gained weight, I didn't go up a size in clothes. I just squeezed myself into what I had. Ha ha.
  • carrieous
    carrieous Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    7 lbs and 5.5 inches in two months is great! Keep at it. The weight did not go on overnight, it will not come off overnight
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    My guess would be you are in some combination overestimating the calories burned (or MFP is too high) or underestimating your consumption. On average how many calories are you eating back via excercise? What is your base calorie level per day?

ETA: 7 lbs in 8 weeks is very good and you don't want to go too excessive.
  • ExerciseTHIS
    Options
    Well, muscle weighs the same as fat (one pound of muscle weighs the same as one pound of fat) but I think what you're trying to say is muscle is denser than fat, therefore takes up less space. My clothes are a little looser, but not much. That's probably because even when I gained weight, I didn't go up a size in clothes. I just squeezed myself into what I had. Ha ha.
    Yes.. that is what I mean. :)
  • JAnundson
    Options
    I currently weigh 228 pounds, I'm 5'7". I eat 1400 cal per day, and I try to NET 1400 cal per day. If I don't, I'm starving. I enter in all of my exercise, and use only 70% of the MFP estimates. So if MFP says I burned 100 cal, I only log 70.
  • NaturallyandProperly
    NaturallyandProperly Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I feel the same as you.. Everyone says keep with it. I'm on week 7...
  • djeffreys10
    djeffreys10 Posts: 2,312 Member
    Options
    The mfp guidelines are just estimations to get you started. Every body is different, and not specific formula is going to be correct for every person. That being said, given your size, I probably wouldn't go below 1400 calories. Just give it time. Nobody said it would be fast, and nobody said it would be easy. But one thing is for sure, it is worth it.
  • jazzy1a
    jazzy1a Posts: 39
    Options

You probably need to reduce your calorie intake or don't eat back the calories you burn from walking...
  • darwinwoodka
    darwinwoodka Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    You're doing great! Keep going! Fast weight loss is often yoyo weight loss. Slow weight loss last.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    You're doing fine, this isn't an exact science by a long shot. Everything is an estimation and carries a risk of inaccuracy. You've lost a normal amount of weight and an impressive amount of size (5.5 inches is a lot). Keep it up, it doesn't happen overnight (or over a week, or a month). For your goals I'd budget a bare minimum of a year. Two is more reasonable. Could be three easily if your goal is to get fairly lean.
  • SheShe_13
    SheShe_13 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I'm having the same problem. I exercise 3x a week at the gym and 2x a week at home and I'm at a standstill. I gained .8 pounds and I'm afraid to get back on the scale. I consume 1200 cal and I weight 250lbs. Do I need to exercise more or increase my calories? Any feedback would be appreciated and very helpful!
  • bpotts44
    bpotts44 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Hi All,

You are averaging about a pound a week. It is not a race. Try to be happy with your progress and continue on.
  • JAnundson
    Options
    MFP had me at 1270 calories when I first started. That was WAY too low. I'm at 1400 now, and I'm never hungry. I'd try increasing your calories slightly, like I did.