Intermittent Fasting

Options
Hello All!
I started out the year at 196 lbs. and now I'm down to 167 lbs. I started doing Intermittent Fasting. I normally eat within a 4 or 6 hour window. I am still eating at a calorie deficit of 1500-1800 calories. It seems to be working pretty well. I was just curious if anyone else has given this eating plan a try. If so I would like to hear other people’s stories. Cheers!

Replies

• mandipandi75
    mandipandi75 Posts: 6,035 Member
    Options
    I want to thank Sidesteel for ruining this term for me. I'll always read Intermittent farting.

Never tried either, btw.
  • Vaisaxena
    Vaisaxena Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I train all my clients with Leangains or ESE style intermittent fasting. I have used it myself each and everyday for 3 years. Works like a charm!
  • Zerashen
    Zerashen Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Most of my meals end up in IF style due to work - I work long hours and generally get a short window to eat, then too tired to eat when home. Seems to be working well enough.
  • tequila09
    tequila09 Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    it definitely helps me stay within my calorie goals
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    This is a divisive group and would be better suited in one of the many IF groups.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/search?utf8=✓&phrase=intermittent+fasting
  • Jersey_Devil
    Jersey_Devil Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    i always wondered-- but what if you take casein before bed? Guess you cant do that on a IF
  • Jguida01
    Jguida01 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I love and look forward to my fast days. I do the 5:2 intermittent fasting and everything I have read in the "the FastDiet" book has really fueled me to continue on and embrace my fasting days. Knowing all the internal health benefits is a positive that I meditate on while the hunger pains hit , plus the dress sizes I am dropping :) I really enjoy working out while fasting as well, it is a double bonus type of feeling, since I know it is using up the fat stores to fuel my workouts. I have lost weight and I continue to lose. I hope you stick with it because the internal health benefits will help you live a better longer life!
  • Mr_Excitement
    Mr_Excitement Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    I started several weeks ago and have really been surprised by the results. I'd hit a plateau about 4 months back (that last 5-10 pounds), and tried all sorts of things to break through it; bumping calorie levels up and down, increasing and intensifying my cardio days, you name it. Nothing worked at all.

Started IF and have lost about a pound of fat each week since. Didn't expect it to work at all, but there's apparently something to it.
  • tomcornhole
    tomcornhole Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options
    I tried it last week for a week. Was curious to see what it was about. I like the concept, just wasn't for me. I did the fast between 9:00 pm and 12:00 pm thing and then ate my normal diet. The mornings didn't treat me well. Had the shakes and felt like passing out a lot. I'm sure if I gave it more time, it would work out fine. But I have been downing a protein shake within 30 minutes of waking every morning and I like that approach better. For me. I have adopted the leangains feeding regimen and if I am on a lift day, I just have the protein shake for breakfast and fast until my workout. Then I eat like a pig right after the workout. That has been a very pleasant adjustment that I think has helped my strength gains.
  • atlien78
    atlien78 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I love and look forward to my fast days. I do the 5:2 intermittent fasting and everything I have read in the "the FastDiet" book has really fueled me to continue on and embrace my fasting days. Knowing all the internal health benefits is a positive that I meditate on while the hunger pains hit , plus the dress sizes I am dropping :) I really enjoy working out while fasting as well, it is a double bonus type of feeling, since I know it is using up the fat stores to fuel my workouts. I have lost weight and I continue to lose. I hope you stick with it because the internal health benefits will help you live a better longer life!

What is the 5:2 intermittent fasting plan? Sounds interesting I haven't heard of it.
  • Baileys83
    Baileys83 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I do it and find it really easy. I have lost 18lb since Jan 1st :smile:
  • MsPudding
    MsPudding Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    What is the 5:2 intermittent fasting plan? Sounds interesting I haven't heard of it.

It comes from the BBC documentary last year "Eat, Fast, and Live Longer" where Dr Moseley looked into research on longevity and health and how intermittent fasting of various types seems to have positive health contributions.

Essentially it's 5 days at maintenance calories, 2 non-consecutive days at 500 (or 600 for a man) and the longer the fast period you can maintain in that time the better.

So on a normal day I tend to have my evening meal around 7pm and then the next day, the fasting day, I'll just try and eat as near to 7pm as possible. Sometimes I'm hungry (probably due to not eating enough the day before) and will break the fast around 1-2pm (so approx 18hrs fast) and sometimes I'll go through to 22-24hrs.

It doesn't suit everyone (obviously), but I personally find it easier to manage than 'the daily deficit grind'.
  • redraider08
    redraider08 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Hello All!
    I started out the year at 196 lbs. and now I'm down to 167 lbs. I started doing Intermittent Fasting. I normally eat within a 4 or 6 hour window. I am still eating at a calorie deficit of 1500-1800 calories. It seems to be working pretty well. I was just curious if anyone else has given this eating plan a try. If so I would like to hear other people’s stories. Cheers!

Kudos for going against the consensus!

I too follow a IF-plan, i.e. Lean Gains-style 6 days a week with one " EAT-STOP-EAT" 24 hr fast. I like it very much. It helps me stay under my weekly calorie limit while being able to still enjoy business lunches and evening socials.
  • redraider08
    redraider08 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    * I should say I PLAN on adding a ESE fast at least 1x/week. But I have been following LG off-and-on for several weeks.
  • atlien78
    atlien78 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    @Ms. Pudding and Pu-239 Thanks for the explanation!
  • Gunago4it
    Gunago4it Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    The 5:2 plan is a eating plan that let's you eat your normal calorie intake for 5 days out of the week and a reduced calorie intake of 500 for women and 600 for men 2 days a week. I just started this plan myself. I am on day 9 and I have had 3 fast days so far. I am down 4lbs. I'm reading a book by Kate Harrison called "The 5:2 Diet Book" I bought it on Amazon to learn more but so far I am pleased.