Afternoon Munchies

Options
It is 3:30 and I really, really want to go find a snack. Preferably a non-healthy snack. I am trying to run through all of the strategies, have I missed any? Any other ideas for me? (And it does not help that someone in the office just popped popcorn!)

- Drink a glass of water. I have had several.
- Get up and walk around. I tried to go outside and it is not only cold, but raining. There is only so much I can walk around the office.
- Have a healthy snack. I have had a Fiber One 100 calorie brownie and a... Lara bar maybe? Something high in protein and fiber.

There are no available fruits and veggies because I am in the office. There is a bag of Pirate's Booty in the car, but it is a Costco sized bag and I am pretty sure if I open it I will eat far more than a serving or two. And honestly I don't think I am really hungry, I just want to eat! I have a little bit of a headache too which always dulls my will power and makes me want to eat!

So, what do I do know to resist hitting up the junk food in the office?

Replies

• bethanytowell
    bethanytowell Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    This is me....seriously. There is nothing like a headache to send me running to the office snacks. Which does nothing for me or the headache. I try to do an afternoon cup of coffee and if it doesnt work I usually give in and wind up paying for it at the gym. Not recommended but I do understand.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    What usually helps me is to make a cup of tea or coffee or I have a diet soda. :drinker:
  • cranberrycat
    cranberrycat Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I know that this does not help you right now, but it might for future planning...

Pack more healthy snacks. Those Fiber One bars are really nothing more than glorified candy bars. Who knows where the protein is coming from, and the fiber is not naturally occurring. Honestly, I find that manufactured foods just don't keep my hunger satisfied as long.

On the other hand, you could eat a handful of carrot sticks, dipped in some hummus. Keeping the hummus to a 2 tbsp serving, this would be just over 100 calories, and so much better for you! Might increase the "staying power" of your snack.
  • palmerar
    palmerar Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Coffee, hot chocolate or tea
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    I know that this does not help you right now, but it might for future planning...

Pack more healthy snacks. Those Fiber One bars are really nothing more than glorified candy bars. Who knows where the protein is coming from, and the fiber is not naturally occurring. Honestly, I find that manufactured foods just don't keep my hunger satisfied as long.

On the other hand, you could eat a handful of carrot sticks, dipped in some hummus. Keeping the hummus to a 2 tbsp serving, this would be just over 100 calories, and so much better for you! Might increase the "staying power" of your snack.

Lol...Fiber One bars do horrible things to my digestive system :sick:
  • Oakley82
    Oakley82 Posts: 53
    Options
    Ahhh my "3:00 Struggle" as I lovingly call it. I pack something in advance because if not, I WILL eat crap that the office keeps in the kitchen. Try Diet Coke/Dr.Pepper, that actually helps me sometimes if I'm desperate. I generally bring carrots and a couple Laughing Cow wedges and it helps me until I get off work. I don't know it's boredom or crashing, but I feel your pain! Hot Green Tea with your snack might help curb the cravings too.
  • momontheclock
    momontheclock Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    While I managed to pack lunch today, I did not bring any snacks. Well, techcnailly I have some hummus and veggies, but I ate that with the salad for lunch instead of later. A lot of times I will pack snacks and eat them all in the morning!!!

I need to bring in decaf coffee or tea too. Everything here at the moment is caffeinated and I try to avoid caffiene in the afternoons.

I went and talked to a co-worker and distracted myself for 20 minutes or so. That Pirate's Booty is in my car though and I have to head home before long!