Protein Shakes that you can't taste the whey in..YUK

Options
EmmieCar86
EmmieCar86 Posts: 83 Member
Okay Im all for protein shakes but I had a bad experience with one that made me sick. Now I need to have the whey taste disguised in it. Any good recipes for this?

Replies

• reginabrown5
    Options
    you should try evolve chocolate shakes or the south beach diet mixed berry protein shakes. those are tasty! :)
  • robbienjill
    robbienjill Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem until this...1 scoop vanilla whey, 1 scoop Gatorade dry mix (orange or lime), half a small can of pineapple juice or orange juice, ice, just a LIL water. Blend. It's great!
  • MissRae123
    MissRae123 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I like muscle milk protein. The smores is my favorite but cookies and cream, chocolate caramel pecan and cake batter are really good too.
  • hmcunningham79
    hmcunningham79 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I use Body Fortress that I buy at Walmart. Chocolate!! Inexpensive and yummy!!
  • deedster_a
    deedster_a Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Is there an inexpensive unflavored one - no soy? I find all of the flavored ones way too sweet for me. I want to make a smoothie with frozen mixed fruit and added protein.
  • SneakyWaff1es
    SneakyWaff1es Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Since Muscle Milk was already suggested, it's delicious, I'll say BSN Syntha 6. It's also delicious but I think it's a little more caloric than Muscle Milk. Cookies and Cream in either is break your mouth scrumptious.
  • MissyI30
    MissyI30 Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Premier protien shakes the chocolate and vanilla are good. They are ready to drink tho and you can get them at Sam's or Costco. The other ones I really love but they are not cheap are the chike brand so far I love the coffee one chocolate bliss and bananna one are good too. Syntrax Nectar chocolate is my favorite Sytrax Matrix mint cookie.
  • artickb22
    artickb22 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I use Strawyberry whey powder, add in 1 cup of fresh strawberries, 1 cup of skim milk, and throw in some flax seed and make it a rockin shake!
  • EmmieCar86
    Options
    thank you for all the suggestions! I will definitely be tryin these out! :)
  • pucenavel
    pucenavel Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    I'm using GNC 100% Whey, Vanilla Flavor, mixed with unsweetened almond milk

yum....
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    I'm assuming you mean taste nasty and not physically ill.. some people have a hard time with whey or casein based shakes because of the lactose.

Taste is subjective, so I mean I think chocolate protein powders are all kind of meh unless you cook with them. I prefer vanilla.
  • catfive1
    catfive1 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Strawberry Syntha-6 with unsweetened almond milk is awesome.
  • kuntry_navy
    kuntry_navy Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    Chocolate flavored Carnivor Beef Protein tastes like Jell-o pudding

If you have vanilla whey, mix with apple juice and cinnamon and it tastes like apple pie
  • ctroxell2004
    Options
    Lean Dessert-they have Chocolate Fudge Pudding, Whipped Vanilla, Cinnamon Roll....(these are all good)

and they have a couple others. 150 calories per scoop of protein powder

they are SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO tasty. seriously.
  • ScottishMrs
    ScottishMrs Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    The protein shake that I make for myself right now is:
    - 1 scoop of Six Star Pro Nutrition - Professional Strength Whey Protein Plus Elite Series in the Triple Chocolate flavour (available at Wal-Mart)
    - 2 Tbsp of smooth peanut butter
    - 1.5 cups of 2% milk
    I blend these together in a glass using a hand mixer. I absolutely love this shake because it tastes just like Reese's!

I made this post recently and there several good recipes there: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/938748-what-s-in-your-home-mixed-protein-shake.
  • ctroxell2004
    Options
    have you tried PB2?

it is a powdered peanut butter you add water too-that is only 45 calories for 2 TBSP

and tastes just like peanut butter
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    I think at this point the stuff people are telling you to add you might as well just have a chicken sandwich for the same macros...
  • krhn
    krhn Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    I have tried most of the popular brands in the past such as Dymatize, Optimum Nutrition, USN and Nutrisport - all of which tasted like ****e!!!! Currently I take Instant Whey (including native whey) strawberry flavour by Reflex Nutrition and by GOD!!! It tastes like strawberry milkshakes you get from Mcdonalds if you add semi skimmed milk!!!

You get about 20g protein per serving at only 97 kcal - so its alright if you add water but with milk your getting about 27g - the closest comparison i can give is that the flavour is good against muscle milk products but obviously without the extra carbs and fats which are unnecessary!!! MUST HAVE PROTEIN!!! :wink:
  • EmmieCar86
    Options
    I'm assuming you mean taste nasty and not physically ill.. some people have a hard time with whey or casein based shakes because of the lactose.

Taste is subjective, so I mean I think chocolate protein powders are all kind of meh unless you cook with them. I prefer vanilla.

I actually physically got sick. I had vanilla whey protein mixed with banana and peanut butter. Now when I make one if I taste the whey in it I can't tolerate to drink it.
  • EmilyEmpowered
    EmilyEmpowered Posts: 650 Member
    Options
    I make my protein powder into a flavored coffee, iced or hot :)

I use chocolate whey protein (1 serving), a cup of coffee (decaf or regular, even the flavored grounds like caramel, etc, you can buy bags of at Dunkin Donuts and they are the same calories as regular coffee), and a cup of almond milk. I like it best on ice :)