Grocery Shopping Must Haves!

Options
I am going grocery shopping tonight and I always struggle with what to get and more often than not I come home with stuff I don't need or without stuff I should have. My question is what are your food must haves? What do you stock your pantry with? I am a busy mom. I work full time and have 4 children which means I am always running around doing something. I need good healthy dinner/meal ideas that are also quick. Thanks!

Replies

• PorchOfGeese
    Options
    Jennie-O turkey burgers are great
  • phyllisbobbitt
    phyllisbobbitt Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: i buy chicken, strip steak, fish, pork chops (lean), & shrimp! I grill all my meats outside on gas grill! i buy vegetables to go with each meat like cabbage for coleslaw, eggplant for grilling with olive oil, baking potatoes (medium), okra, salad fixin's, rutabagas,frozen or fresh green beans, yellow squash & white onions, wild rice, corn on the cob (fresh or frozen) parsnips, carrots, celery, etc. i also buy fresh fruits like strawberries, blueberries, watermelon, apples & pineapples.
  • HeatherNoyes
    HeatherNoyes Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: i buy chicken, strip steak, fish, pork chops (lean), & shrimp! I grill all my meats outside on gas grill! i buy vegetables to go with each meat like cabbage for coleslaw, eggplant for grilling with olive oil, baking potatoes (medium), okra, salad fixin's, rutabagas,frozen or fresh green beans, yellow squash & white onions, wild rice, corn on the cob (fresh or frozen) parsnips, carrots, celery, etc. i also buy fresh fruits like strawberries, blueberries, watermelon, apples & pineapples.

Protein and tons of fruits and veggies. Check! lol. Thanks!
  • countrygirl7mels
    Options
    I always have tuna. It is great for several recipes.

I also keep steal cut oats in my house. I make a small crock pot full at a time. I take two cups of oats and fill the small crock pot with water, and cook on low until the water is absorbed. I keep this in my fridge, and my fiancee and I eat on it all week. This way it is done, and all I have to do is heat it up and add whatever I want to it (almond milk, honey, nutella, etc).

I usually have onions and garlic cloves, which go well in a lot of recipes.

I usually have tortillas around, and they are pretty versitile and lower in calories than bread.

I always have eggs, which are quick to make. A lot of times I will have eggs and a fruit or veggie for my lunch because it is fast and healthy.

I always have a bag of salmon and swai fillets in my freezer. One of my "go-to" meals is fish and veggies. I make sure to set the fish out the night before. Fish cooks pretty fast, and I just season my fish with whatever seasonings I have around instead of trying to follow an elaborate recipe.

Whole wheat pasta of any kind is great too, because it is very versitle, and can be used in a lot of recipes.

We keep a lot of canned tomoatos because we can them from our garden, but you can buy any kind of canned tomato (sauce, diced, whole, etc), and use it a lot of ways. I actually just make my own spaghetti sauce from the canned tomatos (I blend it with a hand blender and add spices/garlic).

I buy a lot of frozen veggies. They keep for a while (unlike the fresh ones that inevitibly end up going bad because I don't finish them), and they don't take too long to cook.

I don't actually eat meat other than fish, so I don't have any suggestions for you there. . .

Hope this helps!
  • HeatherNoyes
    Options
    I always have tuna. It is great for several recipes.

I also keep steal cut oats in my house. I make a small crock pot full at a time. I take two cups of oats and fill the small crock pot with water, and cook on low until the water is absorbed. I keep this in my fridge, and my fiancee and I eat on it all week. This way it is done, and all I have to do is heat it up and add whatever I want to it (almond milk, honey, nutella, etc).

I usually have onions and garlic cloves, which go well in a lot of recipes.

I usually have tortillas around, and they are pretty versitile and lower in calories than bread.

I alway have eggs, which are quick to make. A lot of times I will have eggs and a fruit or veggie for my lunch because it is fast and healthy.

I always have a bag of salmon and swai fillets in my freezer. One of my "go-to" meals is fish and veggies. I make sure to set the fish out the night before. Fish cooks pretty fast, and I just season my fish with whatever seasonings I have around instead of trying to follow an elaborate recipe.

Whole wheat pasta of any kind is great too, because it is very versitle, and can be used in a lot of recipes.

We keep a lot of canned tomoatos because we can them from our garden, but you can buy any kind of canned tomato (sauce, diced, whole, etc), and use it a lot of ways. I actually just make my own spaghetti sauce from the canned tomatos (I blend it with a hand blender and add spices/garlic).

I buy a lot of frozen veggies. They keep for a while (unlike the fresh ones that inevitibly end up going bad because I don't finish them), and they don't take too long to cook.

I don't actually eat meat other than fish, so I don't have any suggestios for you there. . .

Hope this helps!

Very helpful....only if I ate fish. LOL. Thank you though. lots of good ideas!
  • knightreader
    knightreader Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    strawberries. i am addicted. quick, easy, good for you and delicious.
  • doubleduofa
    doubleduofa Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    almond milk
    greek yogurt
    eggs
    lowfat cheese
    veggies (whatever you like) - Lately, it's been mushrooms, tomatoes, spinach, kale, carrots, onions, avocados, broccoli, peppers, sweet potatoes, asparagus.
    fruit (whatever you like) -apples, strawberries, kiwi for me lately. Frozen for smoothies.
    meat - this week was pork loin roasts. I made a marinande from 2 oranges (zest and juice), soy sauce, red wine vinegar, garlic, EVOO, butter, and green onions
    canned tuna (always on hand)
    whole grain bread
    beans (I also made a soup this week with chicken and beans)
    raw blanched almonds
    dried cranberries or apricots (go in yogurt nicely along with the almonds)
    flax (mix in yogurt/smoothies)

The soup I made couldn't have been easier. Do you have a Trader Joe's near you? I bought 2 chicken breasts and threw them in the slow cooker with a bit of the stock and some chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, salt, etc. Cooked them for a few hours until I could pull them apart. Then added the rest of the stock, bag of froze chimichurri rice, can of white beans, a jar of corn salsa, and a few cups of kale from the garden. Everything is easier with a slow cooker...

The pork loin - threw everything into a ziploc for a few hours with pork loins (poked with fork a few times to allow marinade to penetrate). Cooked at 350 for 45 mins.

Veggies. Easy. Toss veggies (I cubed potatoes, sweet potates, carrots, and onions) in olive oil, sale and pepper. Roast at 400 for 50-60 mins - turn 1-2 times for even cooking. Asparagus - same, but roast for 20-25 mins.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I am going grocery shopping tonight and I always struggle with what to get and more often than not I come home with stuff I don't need or without stuff I should have. My question is what are your food must haves? What do you stock your pantry with? I am a busy mom. I work full time and have 4 children which means I am always running around doing something. I need good healthy dinner/meal ideas that are also quick. Thanks!

Pasta, rice, various proteins, ice cream
  • HeatherNoyes
    Options

Pasta, rice, various proteins, ice cream

ice cream, eh? Your a troublemaker :tongue:
  • HeatherNoyes
    Options
    almond milk
    greek yogurt
    eggs
    lowfat cheese
    veggies (whatever you like) - Lately, it's been mushrooms, tomatoes, spinach, kale, carrots, onions, avocados, broccoli, peppers, sweet potatoes, asparagus.
    fruit (whatever you like) -apples, strawberries, kiwi for me lately. Frozen for smoothies.
    meat - this week was pork loin roasts. I made a marinande from 2 oranges (zest and juice), soy sauce, red wine vinegar, garlic, EVOO, butter, and green onions
    canned tuna (always on hand)
    whole grain bread
    beans (I also made a soup this week with chicken and beans)
    raw blanched almonds
    dried cranberries or apricots (go in yogurt nicely along with the almonds)
    flax (mix in yogurt/smoothies)

The soup I made couldn't have been easier. Do you have a Trader Joe's near you? I bought 2 chicken breasts and threw them in the slow cooker with a bit of the stock and some chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, salt, etc. Cooked them for a few hours until I could pull them apart. Then added the rest of the stock, bag of froze chimichurri rice, can of white beans, a jar of corn salsa, and a few cups of kale from the garden. Everything is easier with a slow cooker...

The pork loin - threw everything into a ziploc for a few hours with pork loins (poked with fork a few times to allow marinade to penetrate). Cooked at 350 for 45 mins.

Veggies. Easy. Toss veggies (I cubed potatoes, sweet potates, carrots, and onions) in olive oil, sale and pepper. Roast at 400 for 50-60 mins - turn 1-2 times for even cooking. Asparagus - same, but roast for 20-25 mins.

No trader joe's but definitely stealing that recipe!
  • jeanmrob
    jeanmrob Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    Onions, garlic, tomatoes, peppers, tinned tomatoes, pasta, eggs, chicken .. lots of ways to throw something quick and healthy together with these.....
  • cortneysmissionpossible
    Options
    cuties (yummy and super easy for on the go!)
    natural almonds (throw them in the oven when you get home and they come out tasting like heaven)
    salsa
    99% fat free ground turkey
    chicken (of course!)
  • HeatherNoyes
    Options

My new favorite thing to do with strawberries:

1.5 cups frozen unsweetened strawberries
    1.5 ish cups of water
    1/2 packet of fruit punch crystal light mix (the 16 oz serving size)
    1 cup ice
    Throw in my bullet (blender) and blend til smooth

It is SOOOO Good! Will be perfect for summer. When it is all blended it fills up my 24 oz cup. Gets me some water and fruit servings and it is like heaven in a cup
  • doubleduofa
    doubleduofa Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Frozen greek yogurt works well instead of ice cream and you can have "more" for the same calories. I crush up dark chocolate for "chips." Really good.

Pasta with meat sauce is also very quick and easy. Throw crushed tomatoes, onions, garlic, veggies, and meat into a slow cooker. Cook pasta. Mix. Add cheese on top. Done.

Lasagna is also really easy with the "no cook" noodles. I make a sauce (like the one above), cook it until most of the water is cooked out, then just layer it (pasta, sauce, cheese, pasta, sauce cheese, etc.) You can use ricotta or cottage cheese. Top with mozzarella cheese. Oven for 35 mins at 350.

Chicken enchilada casserole. 2 chicken breasts in the slow cooker with a jar of fresh salsa, chopped onion, and minced garlic, until tender. Pull apart, then add enchilada sauce, sour cream, fire roasted chilis (can buy them in a small can), spices (chili powder, cumin, oregano, garlic, onion), cheese and cook until extra water is out (I crack the lid on the slow cooker for a few hours). Take flour tortillas and line a baking dish. Divide chicken mixture into thirds - layer like lasagna. Top last layer with tortillas then sprinkle cheese on top. Bake like the lasagna.

Shepard's pie. Cook ground beef witih a bit of EVOO and red wine (with onions and garlic), add whatever veggies you like (frozen peas and corn work well here), I usually throw in spinach, kale, carrots, mushrooms. Make mashed potatoes (I used sour cream and butter in mine). Put meat mixture in baking dish, put mashed potatoes on top (spread out), top with cheese. Bake like lasagna.
  • Keyblr
    Keyblr Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    First, plan your weekly menu before you go shopping. If you work outside the home and are limited on time when you get home to prepare meals use the crockpot a lot. I also pre-preprae time consuming meal tasks the night before so when you get home you finish the meal prep and then prepare in advance for the next day. (i.e. chopping items. pre-measure or pre-mix things you can, etc...) In the winter I make a lot of homemade soup the night before. Then it's easy just to warm it up that night to eat. In the summer veggies are all cleaned, cut up and stored. Meat marinades in the frig all day all I have to do is grill the meat and toss a salad or roast some veggies. I also make ahead meals and freeze. I will take them out a few nights before to thaw and they are then ready to throw in the oven when I'm home.

I always have a lot of fruit, veggies, eggs, cottage cheese, and greek yogert on hand. Those are my easy go-to items I grab to eat. I also prepare extra veggies and meat at dinner to eat as leftovers for lunch. (Today I had leftover roasted broccoli, cauliflower and red pepper for lunch from a few nights ago.)

For a naughty snack to get me through the afternoon slump I mix dried cranberries, roasted almonds and a few dark chocolate chips.

For me the key has always been to plan ahead and stay on top of it. The weeks/days I don't stay on top of it I find it's too easy to make a pre-packaged meal. I always feel so lethargic after eating something like that... Good Luck!
  • MissKris14
    MissKris14 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    My high protein snacks like greek yogurt and string cheese.
  • knightreader
    knightreader Posts: 813 Member
    Options

My new favorite thing to do with strawberries:

1.5 cups frozen unsweetened strawberries
    1.5 ish cups of water
    1/2 packet of fruit punch crystal light mix (the 16 oz serving size)
    1 cup ice
    Throw in my bullet (blender) and blend til smooth

It is SOOOO Good! Will be perfect for summer. When it is all blended it fills up my 24 oz cup. Gets me some water and fruit servings and it is like heaven in a cup

i'm going to try that! thanks.
  • PosterPens
    PosterPens Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    r-CHOBANI-large570.jpg?6

cant live without CHOBANI! I have one every morning. Protein:18; Fat:0. SO GOOD!

also TUNA and AVOCADOS for my tuna avocado wrap. no more mayo for me!
    Mission carb balance wraps

and definitely any weight watchers ice cream treat. a must!