Whats your favorite cookbook?

Options
hcleving
hcleving Posts: 15 Member
Hello :)
I am looking for some new recipe ideas and want to find a healthy, low fat, low cal cookbook. Any recommendations?

Replies

• digitalsteel
    digitalsteel Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I know this is kinda against your plan, but everything I have done and read has led me far far away from low fat. My favorite cook book right now is Fat Fast
  • mrsbigbum
    Options
    The Hairy Dieters cook book is amazing...delicious, easy to prepare, healthy and low in calories!!
  • tekwriter
    tekwriter Posts: 923 Member
    Options
    it is not a book but I use the website eating we'll .com.
  • iggyboo93
    iggyboo93 Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    The selections are endless. Anything from the Moosewood Restaurant (vegetarian), Laurel's Kitchen (vegetarian), any Weight Watchers member cookbook (I have seen these in the grocery check out lane). Not a book but my go to website is www.allrecipes.com - they have a great database of member tested recipes. Betty Crocker has a 300 calories or less cookbook which looked intriguing. Some of the best recipes I've seen are found in the recipe section of this forum.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    My favorite cookbook is a Farmer's Market Cookbook my daughter gave me as a gift several years ago. There are many farmer's market cookbooks available and I like them because they focus on recipes for each season, using fruits and vegetables that available by season.

It's not specifically low fat or low cal, but most of the recipes are pretty healthy. Even the desserts, which are fruit based are not bad.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I have an entire bookcase with cookbooks...as far as favorites go, it really just depends. Right now I'm really into Bittman's Best Recipes in the World because it just has a lot of interesting foods and different ways to prepare foods that I eat routinely as well.

As far as "healthy" goes, I find most cookbooks to be full of healthy foods...most home prepared meals are pretty nutritious and healthy, it's just that people consume too much. I try to keep my saturated fats in check with lean proteins and limited dairy, but I don't otherwise try to avoid fat...fat is very essential. I just manage my macros and watch my calories and I'm golden...lots of veg and fruit...lean proteins, hearth healthy fats and I'm golden.
  • Schnuddelbuddel
    Schnuddelbuddel Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    La Dolce Vegan is one of my favs (there are also How it all Vegan and Garden of Vegan - all three are fab)
    'Vegetarian Cookbook' by Paul Gayler.

And then I use a lot of online inspiration - BBC food website's fab.
    If you speak/read German, 'chefkoch.de' is a good one, they've an English site also, which isn't quite as big (fewer recipes) but just as good: 'http://www.cooksunited.co.uk/'

Happy recipe hunting :)
  • SRHelicity
    Options
    My favorite cookbook is the "Cooking Light - The Essential Dinner Tonight Cookbook"! http://www.amazon.com/Cooking-Essential-Dinner-Tonight-Cookbook/dp/0848736443/

My wife and I have cooked quite a few recipes from that book. Many have been quite tasty, and almost all of them are very good from a calorie and nutrition standpoint. The pictures are helpful (one large picture for every recipe, if I recall correctly), and many recipes contain helpful "flowchart" information (e.g., while XX is simmering, start YYY).
  • anchovies
    Options
    I just got the medicinal chef for my birthday. Have only made a couple of things from it but it looks delicious and very healthy.
  • Meghann218
    Meghann218 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I enjoy my biggest loser cookbooks....great recipes that still taste great and low in cal. Love Pinterest and will get some off of that site but also will search for recipes online and will pin. Some websites will even have how many calories and such listed.
  • Aurora1525
    Aurora1525 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Some of my favorite cookbooks are:

1. American Heart Association Low-Calorie Cookbook -- Simple recipes that take about 20-30 minutes to prepare. Nothing out of the ordinary and each recipe has the nutritional information on the page.

2. The Angelica Home Kitchen -- This cookbook has some great recipes that you can get at a really excellent vegan restaurant in Greenwich Village, NYC called Angelica Kitchen. The recipes are complicated and require some fancy ingredients (Whole Foods usually has them...you'll need assistance finding them, though) and they can take hours to prepare. But if you like cooking, I totally recommend this book.

3. Moosewood Restaurant Simple Suppers: Fresh Ideas for the Weeknight Table -- This one has some interesting ideas and is sort of in between the AHA and Angelica cookbook in terms of time, ingredients, and difficulty. The soups in here are great!

Personally, I prefer using the internet to find recipes. Cookbooks usually only provide a few good recipes. I like Skinnytaste.com. I've tried many of the recipes there and they've all been very good! Lots of variety!
  • mazekah
    mazekah Posts: 52
    Options
    I like creating my own cookbook by checking out website. One of my fave websites is the low carb. Lots of great ideas.
  • eskiadas
    eskiadas Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Below is the cookbook that I use often. I've cooked many recipes from this cookbook and all of them taste fabulous. The best part is, they are all healthy versions of the foods that you love.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Looneyspoons-Collection-Good-Health/dp/1401941966/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1364232096&sr=8-1&keywords=looney+spoons
  • MummyMikaela
    MummyMikaela Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    The hairy dieters and skinnytaste.com
  • gladhelen
    gladhelen Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    The "Cook Yourself Thin" books are great, loads of ideas :)